Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-15-2010, 05:31 AM   #1
BLACKNRED

Default First start up in 40 years ................

Well I bought this 5 Window about 5 years ago as a future project,the car had sat in a shed for 40 years, the car was covered in fine silt as if a flood had gone through it, the coupe had'nt run for longer than the 40 years,

So today, my two sons and myself decided to have a go at getting the old girl going, oil was clean, and the engine turned over, so we made a fuel tank out of a pea tin, set the timing and kicked it in the guts, unbelievably it fired up and ran like a clock.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYUV2...layer_embedded
BLACKNRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 06:05 AM   #2
Terry, NJ

Default Re: First start up in 40 years ................

Now that it starts, Better drain the oil. I would put fuel oil (3 qts + 1 oil) and start it again . Let it idle for ten minutes and drain again. Repeat the process one or two more times. Here's what your'e doing. The engine, while sitting, is accumulating rust one the cam, cyl.walls, etc. When you started it, the rust rubbed off these surfaces and went into solution into the oil. This is equivalent to throwing a tablespoon of sand into the engine. Only flushing the engine several times gets it out. Good luck!
Terry
Terry, NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 07:14 AM   #3
peters180a/170b

Very nice ,good luck with your 33. I would say 33/34 was the best looking cars for Ford. Keeping it stock???

Last edited by peters180a/170b; 08-15-2010 at 07:47 AM.
peters180a/170b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 08:49 AM   #4
Ray in La Mesa

We just acquired a barn find. It started life as an Aug. 27, 1928 coupe. Then turned into a farm truck for 30 years, cowl/windshield only with a wood bed. It was used hard then left to rust . Then sat in a field for another 30 years. I bought it originally to part out but after inspecting it, decided there wasn,t the value in parts worth the price I paid. Just then my wife saw it and thought it would be great as yard art. So now it sits on the front lawn and I'm adding parts to make it more presentable instead of taking parts off. The engine was free so I decided to start it. Rehabbed the dist. & carb. and fired it up. Smoked & knocked like crazy and overheated as the honeycomb radiator was totally clogged. One axle key was missing and I found out why--the axle was frozen solid! Sooo, I have a one wheel drive Model A , the neighbors love it. Haven't heard from the city yet about parking on the grass.
Ray in La Mesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 11:58 AM   #5
FL&WVMIKE

BLACKNRED ......................
That '33 Ford with the four cylinder motor is a very rare car. They did not make very many, in the first place, and you just never see them today ! There are very few around.
It is tempting to change the engine, but, I hope that you don't.
MIKE
FL&WVMIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 05:54 PM   #6
BLACKNRED

Hi Guys, the car is out of Argentina, US body B model Deluxe 5 Window ( chrome windscreen frame and cowl lights). engine and chassis numbers match. Interesting items include RHD and a Kilometre per hour speedometer.

I will be rodding the car as stock bodied using the B Model power plant, rebuilding it with dual carbs, finned head although would prefer an overhead conversion, 36 diff with open tailshaft and running a 6 speed dual overdrive manual gearbox, colour Black and Red,

re rarity, many books claim a production number of 28 cars as a 1933 Deluxe 5W B model, and they suggest this included exports, but in Argentina, who knows what they got up to, of interesting note it has a factory? filled roof insert, funny enough the car was originally black.
Old 08-15-2010, 06:37 PM   #7
Chris Haynes

[QUOTE=BLACKNRED;62365]Hi Guys, the car is out of Argentina, US body B model Deluxe 5 Window ( chrome windscreen frame and cowl lights). engine and chassis numbers match. [QUOTE]

The number should be on the frame and bellhousing. At least on US models. Henry wasn't numbering engines so your car could have interchangable engines.
Speed costs money. How fast do you want to go?
Chris Haynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 09:34 PM   #8
BLACKNRED

Hi Chris, you are absolutely correct, my loose terminology.

regards
Old 08-15-2010, 11:34 PM   #9
Kurt in NJ

The oil being "clean" usually means all the sludge has settled out, it is a very good idea to drop the pan before starting an engine that has sat for a long time to clean out the sludge that is lining the bottom of the pan ---i have seen 2-4 inches and the oil on top of it clean like "new"

Another problem that needs checked is acid pitting, it will eat holes in the dipper tray, and the spring that holds the oil pump up.
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote