Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-27-2014, 09:13 AM   #21
Crazydaddyo

Default Re: New Block thread on H.A.M.B.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tod View Post
OK, let's see if I can summarize:

1) There are plenty of cores available.
2) Most builders have some cores so they aren't interested in a new block.
3) Other stopped or failed parts implies the need for no new blocks (Burtz included).
4) I can't possibly make this worth my while.
5) You definitely have no use for one of my blocks.

Seems you could have just stated #5 and left it at that.

Tod

Well played!!!!!
Great attitude. Stock model A purists are notorious for tripping over dollars to save pennies.

Don't let this dissuade you from your pursuit. The improvements you are incorporating is benefit enough.

Crazydaddyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 09:16 AM   #22
Crazydaddyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelley's restoration View Post
I want an aluminum one BAD
speedster baby
dragster
I have been planning a fed with a model a engine for a loooong time
as far as actually drilling out the bolts to see how much lighter I could make a model a engine
now with the option of a aluminum block (not a Donavon) I am giddy with excitement
tk

Me too !!!!!!!!

Crazydaddyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 09:30 AM   #23
johnneilson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tod View Post
OK, let's see if I can summarize:

1) There are plenty of cores available.
2) Most builders have some cores so they aren't interested in a new block.
3) Other stopped or failed parts implies the need for no new blocks (Burtz included).
4) I can't possibly make this worth my while.
5) You definitely have no use for one of my blocks.

Seems you could have just stated #5 and left it at that.

Tod
Tod,

As you well know, "You can't please everybody" stay the course, You win!!

BTW, just mention inserts and babbit and you will see the love........

Carry on, I am up for alum casting, not machined though. I have things to do and the stock holes interfere.....

John
johnneilson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 10:07 AM   #24
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnneilson View Post
Tod,

As you well know, "You can't please everybody" stay the course, You win!!

BTW, just mention inserts and babbit and you will see the love........

Carry on, I am up for alum casting, not machined though. I have things to do and the stock holes interfere.....

John
John,

Email me, and we can discuss the aluminum block.

Tod
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 11:21 AM   #25
mshmodela

Clearly, at some point there will not be enough quality blocks (repairable at least) and new blocks needed. It is good to know a few out there willing to reverse engineer the blocks. Living near what was a massive Ford casting plant in Cleveland, which was closed and the scrap sold to China, the Art of Casting is dying. Thanks to the few, who stand the heat to keep it somewhat alive.
mshmodela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 11:34 AM   #26
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by mshmodela View Post
Clearly, at some point there will not be enough quality blocks (repairable at least) and new blocks needed. It is good to know a few out there willing to reverse engineer the blocks. Living near what was a massive Ford casting plant in Cleveland, which was closed and the scrap sold to China, the Art of Casting is dying. Thanks to the few, who stand the heat to keep it somewhat alive.
Yep. You've got to be ahead of the curve. I've been in the old Ford foundry and it was pretty impressive. The plant manager at the time is a friend of my iron foundry's owner, Corey. We went there when I was sampling my second FE project.

We are just down the road from you in Youngstown.

Tod
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 12:14 AM   #27
Model A Man

I haven't had any luck with rebuilt motors, so I am hoping the price for the new motors will be able to be kept at reasonable price. I have been holding off from installing a more modern four or six cylinders in my model A's in hope that either Terry's or Todd's motors will be available soon.
Model A Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 03:04 AM   #28
dumb person

Looks like i will be stuck with my model A a long long time. Nice to know someone is making replacement blocks. Maybe Snyders will have one on the shelf in 20 years or however long it takes for me to buy one. If the new transmission rumor is true someone wealthy could almost build a model A from new parts!

"I'm Convinced that no one really reads posts anymore; they just fabricate what they think the post says then ramble on about red herrings."--Bob
Outcasts rules of old cars
#1 Fun is imperative, mainstream is overrated
#2 If they think it is impossible, prove them wrong
#3 If the science says it impossible you are not being creative enough.
#4 No shame in recreating something you never had
#5 If it were not for the law & physics you would be unstoppable
dumb person is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 04:34 AM   #29
James Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2M View Post
I'm scratching my head trying to understand where the negative comment/s or negative tone is in Brent post. Brent welcomes Tod to the forum then asks Tod why he's decided to start making the item. That was negative? Brent then states that he fears there may not be enough demand for Todd's product, then goes on to list a number of good products that have gone out of production.

I would ask the same question. What's wrong with some reasonable negative questions or just playing the devils advocate? I didn't see anything in Brent's comment to provoke the smart azz answer Tod made. Sometimes it is better to keep your mouth shut and look like a fool that to open it and remove all doubt. Other comments follow the same line. I am not trying to be curt but, there is nothing wrong with civil discussion on a topic without insulting comments.
As for Tod's motive for pursuing this, why not. Ford did then and even now by building many failed engines and made great strides in development of motor technology by experimentation and successes. The way I see it, it is his time and money, let him use it as he sees fit.

Last edited by James Rogers; 03-28-2014 at 05:15 AM.
James Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 04:36 AM   #30
James Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Model A Man View Post
I haven't had any luck with rebuilt motors, so I am hoping the price for the new motors will be able to be kept at reasonable price. I have been holding off from installing a more modern four or six cylinders in my model A's in hope that either Terry's or Todd's motors will be available soon.
What makes you think a new block will make any of the builders you have used be a better builder? If you put lipstick on a pig it still will be a pig.
Old 03-28-2014, 05:08 AM   #31
Franchise_24

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Rogers View Post
I would ask the same question. What's wrong with some reasonable negative questions or just playing the devils advocate? I didn't see anything in Brent's comment to provoke the smart azz answer Tod made. Sometimes it is better to keep your mouth shut and look like a fool that to open it and remove all doubt. Other comments follow the same line. I am not trying to be curt but, there is nothing wrong with civil discussion on a topic without insulting comments.
Why the need to be negative at all? You both appear to be friends, you both do engines....makes sense you would defend him....
Old 03-28-2014, 06:04 AM   #32
James Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franchise_24 View Post
Why the need to be negative at all? You both appear to be friends, you both do engines....makes sense you would defend him....
I am not defending any one person, just the right to have a civil discussion with both sides represented without smart alec responses. I don't even take offense to your implication that I am defending just Brent. if you look closely, you will see I defended Tod's right to spend his money and time as he sees fit.
Old 03-28-2014, 08:07 AM   #33
Franchise_24

Quote:
I am not defending any one person, just the right to have a civil discussion with both sides represented without smart alec responses. I don't even take offense to your implication that I am defending just Brent. if you look closely, you will see I defended Tod's right to spend his money and time as he sees fit.
I guess the whole thing is just unfortunate because now Tod feels he can't talk about his project here and stated in his other thread he will only provide updates on the HAMB, and through PMs or his email.
Old 03-28-2014, 08:49 AM   #34
James Rogers

I guess that is also his right. The saying is "If you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen".

BTW, I build engines, I do my wife!
Old 03-28-2014, 08:52 AM   #35
Franchise_24

Quote:
BTW, I build engines, I do my wife!

Uhhh.........congrats? LOL
Old 03-28-2014, 09:18 AM   #36
MikeK

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2M View Post
I'm scratching my head trying to understand where the negative comment/s or negative tone is in Brent post. Brent welcomes Tod to the forum then asks Tod why he's decided to start making the item. That was negative? Brent then states that he fears there may not be enough demand for Todd's product, then goes on to list a number of good products that have gone out of production.
Ah, the fine art of debate. In a college debate there are strict rules about presenting information and it is judged impartially. A message board is more like a political debate- the rules are off and judgement is by many who have an agenda. Not everyone is here to weigh facts without opinion.
MikeK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 01:13 PM   #37
Hitchhiker

You guys do realize that this "new" block is an improved design, with provisions for pressure oiling and other similar advancements.

...Stuff that a lot of banger guys spend considerable time and money modifying originals to achieve the same results.

I definitely see a market for that...
Old 03-28-2014, 11:02 PM   #38
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitchhiker View Post
You guys do realize that this "new" block is an improved design, with provisions for pressure oiling and other similar advancements.

...Stuff that a lot of banger guys spend considerable time and money modifying originals to achieve the same results.

I definitely see a market for that...
Not yet the first block are pretty much like stock (Tods engines) he says it's easy to make changes to create almost custom blocks.
Old 03-28-2014, 11:07 PM   #39
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franchise_24 View Post
I guess the whole thing is just unfortunate because now Tod feels he can't talk about his project here and stated in his other thread he will only provide updates on the HAMB, and through PMs or his email.
I don't see it that way at all, did he tell you that was the reason?

There two identical threads here on the barn "New Block thread on H.A.M.B." and "New Block cast in OHIO." There is a thread 6 pages long on HAMB. It just stands to reason that placing comments and answering questions in one place that started it all, instead of three is easier.
Old 03-29-2014, 04:11 PM   #40
hardtimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazydaddyo View Post
Well played!!!!!
Great attitude. Stock model A purists are notorious for tripping over dollars to save pennies.

Don't let this dissuade you from your pursuit. The improvements you are incorporating is benefit enough.

X TWO !!
Well said and I would like to add to this....A LOT, but will bite the tongue.
Tod, FULL STEAM AHEAD AND DAMN THE TORPEDOES !!!!!!
You do not and should not have to explain WHY you do anything and what the heck is that about anyway ! I hope that you are taking notice and making a list..kinda like the white house does,eh
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote