Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-10-2013, 12:27 AM   #1
aboneskd

Default F150 4 Speed Transmission

Hi all, first post. I recently purchased a speedster project that has a F-150 OD transmission installed. Transmission is complete except for the cap, spring and washer that hold down the shifter. Anyone have any of these parts they are willing to part with or know where I can find them? Any help is appreciated.
aboneskd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 04:09 AM   #2
colin1928

Default Re: F150 4 Speed Transmission

You might have more luck over on the hamb
colin1928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 05:00 AM   #3
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

While there are knowledgeable people here that can and will help you, the sister site to this one, H.A.M.B. , has additional information and members that do hot rods and modified cars.
Old 11-10-2013, 06:34 AM   #4
Tom Wesenberg

I would try some local tranny shops and junk yards.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 07:54 AM   #5
QGolden

Hello and Welcome.
Several Speedsters here, and a few in construction. I am using a Borge Warner T5 in mine.

But there are a lot more folks at the HAMB that play with these Tranny's and will have parts, but there are probably more Model A Speedsters here that use original frame and running gears, except the tranny. It is a common feature to swap out as it can be done without destroying any of the originality of the chassis.

So post a wanted in the swap meet here as lots of us have A's and other old Fords, but cruise over and learn the HAMB too.

Both of these sites will serve you well as you learn the "Etiquette" at both of them.

Oh, and post some pictures! We love builds.

It is the very things that we think we know, that keep us from learning what we should know.- Unknown
QGolden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 11:32 AM   #6
1931 flamingo

Local Ford Dealer??? Tranny shop, junk yard??
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 11:37 AM   #7
machine girl

we have them, no longer aval from ford. pm for price NOT CHEEP.
machine girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 04:07 PM   #8
Pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by aboneskd View Post
Hi all, first post. I recently purchased a speedster project that has a F-150 OD transmission installed. Transmission is complete except for the cap, spring and washer that hold down the shifter. Anyone have any of these parts they are willing to part with or know where I can find them? Any help is appreciated.
Try Ron Kelly in Texas. He used to convert those to model A's.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 08:46 PM   #9
glenn in camino

I just put the spring and keeper back in my Model A transmission top today with the help of a friend/club member. We made a special tool to compress the spring. Be careful, its powerful
glenn in camino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 09:39 PM   #10
aboneskd

Tanx for all the replies. I'll give the HAMB a try as well. Trying all avenues in a attempt to locate these parts. I wasn't aware that "etiquette" was involved, just enjoy playing with my old cars. Glenn, thanx for the advice, I have never installed one.
Old 11-11-2013, 07:01 AM   #11
QGolden

Any social group that brings like minded folks together has a certain level of etiquette that the existing members practice and new comers are expected to follow, even if they are not aware of it when they enter.

By "etiquette" i mean that the Ford Barn leans heavily towards restoration and originality while the HAMB leans towards Classic Hot Rods and Customizing.

Sometimes asking the wrong question at either site will generate a less than helpful response.

Chopping parts is not well tolerated here, and Rat Rods are not well tolerated there (nor here). Ask a question there regarding a stock setup, and someone will send you here. There is however some level of overlap with discussions on Speedsters on both sites, although here they tend to use pretty much stock drive trains, and there not so much. The HAMB Has a monthly "Banger Thread" with pretty good discussions on Ford 4 Cyl Flatheads.

It is the very things that we think we know, that keep us from learning what we should know.- Unknown
Old 11-11-2013, 11:47 AM   #12
silversink

So what your saying is Dropped axles, inverted intakes, juice brakes, hopped up bangers and 16inch rims don't belong on here. I didn't know it was that way.
silversink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 06:38 PM   #13
QGolden

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversink View Post
So what your saying is Dropped axles, inverted intakes, juice brakes, hopped up bangers and 16inch rims don't belong on here. I didn't know it was that way.
Nope, did not say that at all.

Old 11-11-2013, 12:03 PM   #14
machine girl

yup that's what many think,
machine girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 12:54 PM   #15
CarlG

I generally keep what "modifications" I may or may not have to the PM area, or just to myself. No need to go home with a black eye for no reason at all.
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 04:55 PM   #16
aboneskd

I didn't intend to start a argument, just found a site that looked like fun. I like to drive my cars, if fact still own my high school Model A. Better brakes, lights, steering and power allow these cars to survive in the 21st century. They are not 'rat rods', and look basically stock, except a little tough to hide the 16" wheels, not that I want to hide them.

See ya on the road.
Old 12-13-2013, 05:36 PM   #17
Terry,NJ

We are preservationists. Keeping the model A Pretty much as Henry built it is our goal. HC heads, Juice brakes, even 16" wheels, Brighter lights, blinker lights, seat belts all seem to be , sorta OK, with most of us. A case for safety could probably be made for those and a few more. However the only times we would tolerate the cutting of sheet metal is for welling fenders and making, fitting or using patch panels. You wouldn't cut up the Betsey Ross flag would you? That's the historical context that we see our historical artifacts in.
Terry

Quote:
Originally Posted by aboneskd View Post
I didn't intend to start a argument, just found a site that looked like fun. I like to drive my cars, if fact still own my high school Model A. Better brakes, lights, steering and power allow these cars to survive in the 21st century. They are not 'rat rods', and look basically stock, except a little tough to hide the 16" wheels, not that I want to hide them.

See ya on the road.
Terry,NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 06:37 PM   #18
QGolden

No argument started, your car fits in here just fine, along with many others. This is just an example of how some conversation seem to go. . .

Old 12-13-2013, 02:04 PM   #19
bgarrett

It should be noted that the F150 4 speed is NOT the same as the 3 speed with overdrive. The four speed has a door for power take off and is a 1:1 ratio in 4th gear
bgarrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 06:24 PM   #20
jim4pinocio

extra info: 1984-1987 F-150 fourth gear is overdrive in a Tremec RTS 4spd.
jim4pinocio is offline   Reply With Quote