Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-21-2015, 05:36 AM   #1
jon laing

Default Selling a 39 Ford

What is the best way to sell a nice 39 Ford Deluxe sedan? Hemmings? Ebay? Etc.? Jon Laing

Last edited by jon laing; 06-21-2015 at 05:39 AM. Reason: To Clairify
jon laing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 06:18 AM   #2
WRA

Default Re: Selling a 39 Ford

This Forum would be a great start. eBay is expensive and you would deal with plenty of flaky people. List it on the HAMB if your not worried about what might become of it. I would do Hemings regardless of what you eventually choose. Hemings has a wide appeal and clientele actually have money. Craig's list as last resort.
WRA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 08:15 AM   #3
Planojc

V8 Times
Planojc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 09:49 AM   #4
Uncle Bob

If you're serious..........all of the above. Whether people like to admit it or not, the audience for our kind of hobby cars is shrinking. Yes, it's shrinking slowly, not falling off a cliff, and there are some replacement hobbyists, but not one to one for the number departing. You don't know where or when your buyer is looking, so multiple offerings increases your odds. A buyer has far more to select from, and less competition for buying, today than say 20 years ago (those that doubt should count the number of 32 5 window coupes available on any given day today, as an example). A few cars still demand a premium, and enjoy continued value growth, but many don't (again, doubters can compare woodie prices today vs. 10-12 years ago, as another example). So, fewer buyers, more choices for the remaining ones, softening prices in many cases, all means you need to work a bit harder to make your sale............and don't expect a silver bullet solution.
Old 06-21-2015, 10:47 AM   #5
Kube

I think Uncle Bob has offered perhaps some of the best advice thus far. Be realistic about the pricing. I find many guys that have been in this hobby for decades can't quite bring themselves to grasp reality. that being the prices have fallen. In many cases, the prices have fallen drastically.
The best venue to list your vehicle?
I feel it depends on exactly what it is you are attempting to sell. An authentic, very nice vehicle? Hemmings on-line. Most "old folks" that only read the magazine are no longer (for the most part) buying any more old cars.
Nearly every serious dealer reads Hemmings on-line daily. They also check eBay daily.
Ebay is a great place to sell as the rate is reasonable and the viewing audience larger than any other venue. Ebay is no more nor less "safe" to sell a vehicle than any other venue. You must be vigilant.
The Ford Barn? For the most part, if the vehicle is "pricey" you are unlikely to find a buyer here.
Same goes for the Hamb but perhaps not quite as much. That crowd seems to be younger than the typical Barn guy and as such may be willing to part with their monies a bit quicker. Would they be willing to spend more? Probably not but quicker - perhaps.
Old 06-22-2015, 11:57 PM   #6
Fredb_

Having spent the past two years working on a budget restoration of a 38 Deluxe Sedan, I am amazed at how low the price for a decent stock 38-39 can be. I recently saw a nice 38 Sedan like mine a couple hours drive from me for $12K. I have at least $16 into mine now and not finished. I would agree with multiple listings to broaden your audience.
Fredb_ is offline   Reply With Quote