Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-13-2011, 12:12 PM   #41
Tom Wesenberg

Default Re: media blasting - special considerations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug in NJ View Post
I did a fair amount of outdoor blasting on my car (frame, top and bottom floorpans, etc.) with a typical generic Chinese pressure pot and a 17 CFM compressor, and I never saw any sign of distortion.

If you are concerned, try an experiment before working on your car: Get a nice flat thin piece of sheet metal, and blast away, with the highest pressure you can generate. See how what sort of damage you are capable of doing.

Doug
When I first built my sandblast cabinet I did an experiment using a putty knife. I blasted it with the nozzle an inch or two away and using about 90 lbs. pressure. The blade curled right over. I then blasted the other side to make it straighten back out.

I have blasted Model A front fenders outside using about 40 lbs. pressure, black beauty media, and holding the 3/16" nozzle about 6 inches away and had no problems. It was slow, but got the job done.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 02:08 PM   #42
DKCoatings

I am a sandblaster/powdercoater about 20 minutes from Winchester in Bunker Hill, WV--DK Coatings. I just sandblasted 2 1966 Mustangs and several other full vehicles. I offer good prices. 304-279-8994.
DKCoatings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 04:56 PM   #43
Mad Mac

I am surprised no-one has mentioned molasses. Its cheap, safe, user-friendly and works well as long as you're not in a hurry. Won't remove paint and the surface needs to be free of grease and oil.
Mad Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 09:58 PM   #44
Quigley1930

Banjoman I had Wayne Fauver at Frederick County Powdercoating do the hood on my 30 pickup. I was very pleased and think he charged $100.00. This was two or three years ago.

Sewall Tyler
Quigley1930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 06:41 PM   #45
59mgaguy

Wick,

I see your from the VB area. Most of the blasters are use to the heavy plated steel on the boats. So you might as well forget having them strip the rust and paint of you car body. I took a MGA fender that I DA the paint off and wanted them to lightly touch the edge where the fender meets the body. That and 24 small piece (bumper braces, water pump pulley, gas tank straps, etc) Cost was $200 and they blasted the whole fender warping the He-- out of a good fender.

I'm still looking for someone that can do a good job. And no to using Soda. It's no good. If you happen to miss a spot cleaning it will bleed through the paint.
59mgaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 07:09 PM   #46
ken ct
BANNED

How about a chemical dipping place,easier on the sheet metal???? ken ct.
ken ct is offline   Reply With Quote