Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-31-2017, 11:37 AM   #1
Dave Covey

Default Converting from Fordomatic to AOD

1955 Ford car. Has anyone converted to either a Ford AOD or GM 700R4 and used the original column shift?

I'm going with one or the other overdrive trans, leaning 700R4 only because of parts availability.

I want to keep the original shifter. Also want to figure out how or if I can change or modify the shifter gate in the column so the shifter will fall into position as it should for each gear selected. Then I will need to make or buy the plastic gear indicator to match the trans.

Anyone done this or know of anything out there?

Yeah I know I'm weird, but that's how I roll..lol

Thanks

Dave
Dave Covey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 12:57 PM   #2
JeffB2

Default Re: Converting from Fordomatic to AOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Covey View Post
1955 Ford car. Has anyone converted to either a Ford AOD or GM 700R4 and used the original column shift?

I'm going with one or the other overdrive trans, leaning 700R4 only because of parts availability.

I want to keep the original shifter. Also want to figure out how or if I can change or modify the shifter gate in the column so the shifter will fall into position as it should for each gear selected. Then I will need to make or buy the plastic gear indicator to match the trans.

Anyone done this or know of anything out there?

Yeah I know I'm weird, but that's how I roll..lol

Thanks

Dave
It is very easy if you have an AOD you will find it in this blog https://mainlineford.wordpress.com/ As for parts availability there is no problem getting them for an AOD anything you want is here: https://transmissioncenter.net/produ...gory/ford/aod/ And your stock shift indicator will stay as is Best donor years for an AOD is 1989-93 these have all the lubrication fixes the earlier ones lacked and the upgraded valve body and are non-computer. SAVE these videos parts 1 & 2 because setting the TV cable is critical !! I also have an 5.0 & AOD in my '54 but shifter is a B&M. Another plus with the AOD is here: https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/...-small.483808/ READ the notes too,the Crown Vic drive shaft is the same 1982-86 and has the correct front yoke you will need.
JeffB2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 01:02 PM   #3
JeffB2

700R4 No way in that Ford ! You would almost think Old Henry planned for the AOD transplant way ahead of time such an EZ fit.
JeffB2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 09:22 AM   #4
Rancho/guy

I have a 57 Ranchero with a 292, just put a AOD in with a aluminum trans. Adapter. I kept my stock steering column and added a power steering box but had to modify and shorten steering column.
Rancho/guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 09:27 AM   #5
Rancho/guy

Here is the link for adapter
http://www.transmissionadapters.com/
Old 08-01-2017, 09:29 AM   #6
Rancho/guy

Bendsten Adapters
Old 08-01-2017, 02:19 PM   #7
Dave Covey

Thanks Guy's.

Yeah, I know the 700R4 is sacrilege but like my dragster with a 2 speed I don't call it a glide either.. lol

I have narrowed the adaptor down to the Bendsten as I like the way they are made.

Jeff, Thanks for the info on the AOD. Back in 82/83 I was a service manage in our local Ford dealership. I still have nightmares about some issues with the AOD, so many that the tech advisors were sending me transmissions to replace the ones that were issues.
I went active duty shortly after that so for the past 30+ years I have been out of the loop on Fords AOD (all of them really).

My main concern was keeping the stock shifter and indicator.

Thanks again

Dave
Dave Covey is offline   Reply With Quote