Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-06-2019, 01:05 PM   #1
glennsanders

Default KR Wilson axle stand specs questions

Just purchased a axle stand I'm not sure of some of the fittings and the pipes that came with it and I was wondering if anybody out there has one that could get some dimensions for me I've got specs off one but I want to double-check them. Thanks
glennsanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 01:33 PM   #2
glennsanders

Default Re: KR Wilson axle stand specs questions

Update
Old 12-11-2019, 01:54 PM   #3
V8COOPMAN

Glenn....Is this the rig you're talking about? DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 05:18 PM   #4
glennsanders

Yes sir , I have to fabricate this part of it. I need dimensions.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 11063~2.jpg (38.0 KB, 132 views)
Old 01-02-2020, 11:21 AM   #5
Flathead Youngin'

Snap a few more pics and post them up, here. I've only seen one pic of this tool.
Old 01-02-2020, 01:50 PM   #6
Terranova

Yes! I’d like to see some more pics from different angles please!
Terranova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 09:41 PM   #7
glennsanders

Default Re: KR Wilson axle stand specs questions updated

After looking at some pics and seeing the one at the early Ford V8 museum, I was able to fabricate a couple things and put it together.
Old 01-02-2020, 10:17 PM   #8
Flathead Youngin'

Default Re: KR Wilson axle stand specs questions updated

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennsanders View Post
After looking at some pics and seeing the one at the early Ford V8 museum, I was able to fabricate a couple things and put it together.
That's exactly what I was thinking.....maybe even some quick pins to pull it apart......if you don't care, post of some pics of your DIY version.
Old 01-02-2020, 10:44 PM   #9
glennsanders

I tryin with no luck!
Old 01-02-2020, 10:54 PM   #10
AlexLohmann1

Check out pictures of the finished product that Glenn will be sending me soon. Such a generous guy.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
AlexLohmann1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 01:39 PM   #11
jetmek

Heres mine. Dont use it much
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 13F0C6FE-C05C-4AB0-BE20-78504FB72089.jpeg (128.9 KB, 104 views)
Old 01-04-2020, 07:40 PM   #12
Flathead Youngin'

Ok, I see the axle housing jaws....wasn't sure if they were flat faced on a round and tapered housing.

It's one of those things, handy when you use it but rarely touch a banjo- especially after you go through it. I don't know what they bring but I wouldn't mind to have one. It wouldn't take too much effort to weld up that basic frame but couple it with hitch pins and have removable vises...then just pile it in the corner when not in use...
Old 01-04-2020, 08:44 PM   #13
V8COOPMAN

It's cool looking and all that, but to actually do any real maintenance or work on a banjo rear, this thing is ALMOST worthless. To do any real maintenance, you'd have to remove the torque tube and drive shaft. There goes the need for the big extension at the front. Then to get to the axles or gears, you need to unclamp the clamps and remove the axle bells. Anything else that you might need to do to the rear like brake and drum work, or even outer bearing changes would be done without removing the rear end from the car as an assembly. So, THIS tool is almost nothing more than space-robbing "eye candy". But it IS cool looking, and an absolute winner for bragging rights. Now, go ahead and throw something at me! DD

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
Old 01-04-2020, 09:00 PM   #14
Zeke3

I was thinking you could make a table top out of some old barn wood and it would make a great work bench, when it didn't have a rear axle in its jaws.
Zeke3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 09:19 AM   #15
glennsanders

Yes you read my mind,I have been thinking of other uses to fit it in. Worth, I been told 1500-2500 but that was a couple years ago. They're probably worth more now they're pretty rare. That's why I took the time to get the parts for it and put it back together to save a piece of History. plus I knew posting on here somebody would always have something negative to say. I have plenty of room for a piece of History like that. Peace happy new year
Old 01-05-2020, 12:02 PM   #16
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennsanders View Post
Yes, I took the time to get the parts for it and put it back together to save a piece of History. I knew posting on here somebody would always have something negative to say.

Glenn....I certainly had no intention of raining on your parade, nor specifically, your KRW rear end fixture. Hell, I myself own and take pride in quite a few ancient or historical widgets that serve marginal, if any, useful purpose. Like you, I just appreciate historical, rare and interesting "stuff". My comments regarding the KRW axle stand came as a result of thinking about all the banjo rears that I have dissected over the years, and finally realizing that realistically, what valid purpose does that stand really afford? Like I said earlier, you wouldn't remove a rear end from a car to change a brake drum or repair brakes. You certainly wouldn't remove a whole rear end to replace the speedometer drive turtle, nor to R&R the lube oil in the banjo section. To do any REAL work inside the beast like changing an axle or a ring and pinion, major parts of the unit must come apart, and with any major part removed like an axle bell or the banjo itself, you have to remove the rear end from the fixture to do it 'cuz it won't realistically support a disassembled rear end. None of this should take-away from the fact that it is most assuredly a noteworthy and rare piece in the history of old Fords. I was just noting that to ME in the real world, the usefulness of one of these beasts would be just about as practical as lips on a chicken. In other words, what worthwhile use did it really serve back in the day? But like I said earlier, yours is certainly a nice one! DD

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
Old 01-05-2020, 01:34 PM   #17
Ken/Alabama

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8COOPMAN View Post
It's cool looking and all that, but to actually do any real maintenance or work on a banjo rear, this thing is ALMOST worthless. To do any real maintenance, you'd have to remove the torque tube and drive shaft. There goes the need for the big extension at the front. Then to get to the axles or gears, you need to unclamp the clamps and remove the axle bells. Anything else that you might need to do to the rear like brake and drum work, or even outer bearing changes would be done without removing the rear end from the car as an assembly. So, THIS tool is almost nothing more than space-robbing "eye candy". But it IS cool looking, and an absolute winner for bragging rights. Now, go ahead and throw something at me! DD
I was thinking exactly what you just said. Anyone who’s ever done much work on a banjo rear axle would understand this. It’s been on my mind to fabricate a fixture to secure the center section and still allow the pinion and bearings to be replaced and removing and replacing the axle housing during setup. Oh well,another project for another day.
Ken/Alabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 08:56 PM   #18
rich b

I had the same thoughts, too. What was the stand generally used for "back in the day".
rich b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 09:24 PM   #19
glennsanders

Thanks for all the input. I know if I had a shop back in the old days I would definitely have one. I have already put a 378 set of gears in a new rear. Going to use the stand to set up drive shaft and torque tube, radius rods , brakes. When I slide the new when under I'm ready to roll. Just my thought. I like KR Wilson tools I think they're pretty neat and then I have the option to pick this up so I did. Did I need it no .but I was excited to have a chance to buy it and put it back in working order.
Old 01-05-2020, 10:13 PM   #20
rich b

Makes sense; the stand could serve as disassembly station before repairs to the axle and a reassembly stand after the banjo was repaired. Guess. if you had a way to handle the complete unit, it could be built out with the spring and all and at a convenient working height.
rich b is offline   Reply With Quote