Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-05-2019, 12:19 PM   #1
revenski

Default From sealed beams back to original -'38

Now that I've finished my '38 tonner, I've decided to take that headlights back to original. It came with sealed beams, so I'm not entirely certain how everything goes together other than for a couple of general diagrams I have. I've assembled what I believe is a complete set of parts.
What hints can you give me about the assembly process? I have reflectors, lenses, bulbs, gaskets, wiring harnesses with sockets, reflector mounting clips and lens retaining clips.
revenski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 02:08 PM   #2
frnkeore

Default Re: From sealed beams back to original -'38

I'm interested in this, too. I'm looking at a '39 Tudor that still has most of the parts to the original lights but, I would like to convert it to modern high output bulbs.

Frank
frnkeore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 12:20 PM   #3
Tinker

Getting a good ground to the bucket is probably the only thing I'd suggest. The rest goes together fairly well. Sometimes the new lens clips need to be adjusted a bit.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 04:18 PM   #4
jimTN

Ground is the key. I soldered a wire to the reflector on my 37 and attached it to a fender bracket.
jimTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 06:43 PM   #5
RKS.PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by revenski View Post
Now that I've finished my '38 tonner, I've decided to take that headlights back to original. It came with sealed beams, so I'm not entirely certain how everything goes together other than for a couple of general diagrams I have. I've assembled what I believe is a complete set of parts.
What hints can you give me about the assembly process? I have reflectors, lenses, bulbs, gaskets, wiring harnesses with sockets, reflector mounting clips and lens retaining clips.
Am assuming you want to take your truck back to authentic original, rather than the upgrade to sealed beams that didn't come from the factory? I understand the process and you probably don't do a lot of night driving, if any?
RKS.PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 07:06 PM   #6
revenski

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKS.PA View Post
Am assuming you want to take your truck back to authentic original, rather than the upgrade to sealed beams that didn't come from the factory? I understand the process and you probably don't do a lot of night driving, if any?

That's correct. This vehicle is not going to see a lot of time on the road as it currently stands, and I want to take the lights back to original for a couple of reasons one of which is participation in competitive showings. After all, the rest of the vehicle is essentially as produced in 1938 with a 6 volt system, mechanical brakes and all the rest - no modern conveniences.
revenski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 09:24 PM   #7
Tinker

Somehow people drove these in the dark in the oldin' days. Granted there was less traffic.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 12:09 PM   #8
RKS.PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by revenski View Post
That's correct. This vehicle is not going to see a lot of time on the road as it currently stands, and I want to take the lights back to original for a couple of reasons one of which is participation in competitive showings. After all, the rest of the vehicle is essentially as produced in 1938 with a 6 volt system, mechanical brakes and all the rest - no modern conveniences.
Makes sense to me!! Best of luck with your showing!
RKS.PA is offline   Reply With Quote