Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-23-2019, 07:31 PM   #1
Phil Gillespie
Senior Member
 
Phil Gillespie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Christchurch New Zealand
Posts: 1,022
Default 8BA Water Pump Kits by Dennis Carpenter.

Am presently in the process of rebuilding some 8BA water pumps.
Have it ready to reassemble. However in the supplied kit by Dennis Carpenter A8C-8591 there is also included a snap ring??
The originals i stripped do not have a snap ring fitted. Is this a modification as cant see where it should sit.
Also the slinger which is part of the seal set up seems tight on the shaft.
Maybe to freeze the shaft for some shrinkage prior assemble.
Would welcome comments especially concerning the snap ring.
Thanks,
Phil NZ
Phil Gillespie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 05:42 AM   #2
51 MERC-CT
Senior Member
 
51 MERC-CT's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Hartford, Ct
Posts: 4,494
Default Re: 8BA Water Pump Kits by Dennis Carpenter.

The same kit fits many year pumps including Mercury.
This is where the clip fits on a Mercury pump.
Your version of pump may or may not use the clip.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1a merc wtr pump.jpg (72.0 KB, 202 views)
__________________
DON'T RECALL DOING SOMETHING FOR MYSELF BASED ON SOMEONE ELSE'S LIKES OR DISLIKES
51 MERC-CT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 08-24-2019, 11:35 AM   #3
Phil Gillespie
Senior Member
 
Phil Gillespie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Christchurch New Zealand
Posts: 1,022
Default Re: 8BA Water Pump Kits by Dennis Carpenter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 51 MERC-CT View Post
The same kit fits many year pumps including Mercury.
This is where the clip fits on a Mercury pump.
Your version of pump may or may not use the clip.
Ok thanks for that clarification. A groove at front end of casting to accept the snap ring. Mine does not have so assemble without.
Phil NZ
Phil Gillespie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 02:29 PM   #4
Ronnieroadster
Senior Member
 
Ronnieroadster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: East Coast in CT
Posts: 547
Default Re: 8BA Water Pump Kits by Dennis Carpenter.

The Carpenter rebuild kit is now including a terrible in my opinion seal assembly. The slinger was originally a separate item as shown above. But now its part of the seal making it very difficult to install correctly. Good luck.
Ronnieroadster
__________________
I use the F word a lot no not that word these words Flathead , Focus and Finish.
"Life Member of the Bonneville 200 MPH Club using a Ford Flathead block"
Owner , Builder and Driver of the First Ford Flathead bodied roadster to run 200 MPH Record run July 13, 2018 LTA timing association 200.921 from a standing start in one and a half miles burning gasoline.
Ronnieroadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 02:44 PM   #5
Phil Gillespie
Senior Member
 
Phil Gillespie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Christchurch New Zealand
Posts: 1,022
Default Re: 8BA Water Pump Kits by Dennis Carpenter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnieroadster View Post
The Carpenter rebuild kit is now including a terrible in my opinion seal assembly. The slinger was originally a separate item as shown above. But now its part of the seal making it very difficult to install correctly. Good luck.
Ronnieroadster
Thats exactly what i have found. And hence to freeze the shaft & warm the seal to assist with assembly or risk seal damage . As with the supplied clip there is also a small supplied slinger. This slinger not required now as its part of the seal. Yes?
Phil NZ
Phil Gillespie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 04:19 PM   #6
supereal
Senior Member
 
supereal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Iowa
Posts: 1,335
Default Re: 8BA Water Pump Kits by Dennis Carpenter.

Whole lot easier to send pumps to Skip Haney. 941-505-9085.
supereal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 04:32 PM   #7
Ronnieroadster
Senior Member
 
Ronnieroadster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: East Coast in CT
Posts: 547
Default Re: 8BA Water Pump Kits by Dennis Carpenter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by supereal View Post
Whole lot easier to send pumps to Skip Haney. 941-505-9085.
The poster is from New Zealand not such an easy or cost effective task I bet!
__________________
I use the F word a lot no not that word these words Flathead , Focus and Finish.
"Life Member of the Bonneville 200 MPH Club using a Ford Flathead block"
Owner , Builder and Driver of the First Ford Flathead bodied roadster to run 200 MPH Record run July 13, 2018 LTA timing association 200.921 from a standing start in one and a half miles burning gasoline.
Ronnieroadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 04:36 PM   #8
Ronnieroadster
Senior Member
 
Ronnieroadster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: East Coast in CT
Posts: 547
Default Re: 8BA Water Pump Kits by Dennis Carpenter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Gillespie View Post
Thats exactly what i have found. And hence to freeze the shaft & warm the seal to assist with assembly or risk seal damage . As with the supplied clip there is also a small supplied slinger. This slinger not required now as its part of the seal. Yes?
Phil NZ


Yes thats correct I would eliminate that part. Here in the US I have found the correct seal {one without that internal slinger issue} at pool equipment supply stores and at many bearing supply locations that seal is a common one used in many applications such as washing machine pumps and pool water pumps.
Ronnieroadster
__________________
I use the F word a lot no not that word these words Flathead , Focus and Finish.
"Life Member of the Bonneville 200 MPH Club using a Ford Flathead block"
Owner , Builder and Driver of the First Ford Flathead bodied roadster to run 200 MPH Record run July 13, 2018 LTA timing association 200.921 from a standing start in one and a half miles burning gasoline.
Ronnieroadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 05:51 PM   #9
Phil Gillespie
Senior Member
 
Phil Gillespie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Christchurch New Zealand
Posts: 1,022
Default Re: 8BA Water Pump Kits by Dennis Carpenter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnieroadster View Post
Yes thats correct I would eliminate that part. Here in the US I have found the correct seal {one without that internal slinger issue} at pool equipment supply stores and at many bearing supply locations that seal is a common one used in many applications such as washing machine pumps and pool water pumps.
Ronnieroadster
Appreciate the info on alternative pump seals. Yes the freight is a killer to and from from "down under" not cost effective. Brought some new pumps from this site for $60.00(good value) but add to it $130.00 for shipping, shipping is the cost of a set of pumps.So local sourced pump seals will be real cost effective. Plus cant beat satisfaction of doing it yourself. Thanks again
Phil NZ
Phil Gillespie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 07:37 AM   #10
Ronnieroadster
Senior Member
 
Ronnieroadster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: East Coast in CT
Posts: 547
Default Re: 8BA Water Pump Kits by Dennis Carpenter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Gillespie View Post
Appreciate the info on alternative pump seals. Yes the freight is a killer to and from from "down under" not cost effective. Brought some new pumps from this site for $60.00(good value) but add to it $130.00 for shipping, shipping is the cost of a set of pumps.So local sourced pump seals will be real cost effective. Plus cant beat satisfaction of doing it yourself. Thanks again
Phil NZ


Your welcome I have rebuilt a lot of Flathead water pumps in the last 35 years and still do to this day. Heck I also find the bearing shaft assembly's are available at the bearing supply dealers. Nothing is special about the Flathead water pump rebuild parts those made from 1949 to 53 and the 1948 8BA truck engine. Many pumps not only automotive use the same internal parts learned this a long time ago.

Ronnieroadster
__________________
I use the F word a lot no not that word these words Flathead , Focus and Finish.
"Life Member of the Bonneville 200 MPH Club using a Ford Flathead block"
Owner , Builder and Driver of the First Ford Flathead bodied roadster to run 200 MPH Record run July 13, 2018 LTA timing association 200.921 from a standing start in one and a half miles burning gasoline.
Ronnieroadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 10:23 AM   #11
rotorwrench
Senior Member
 
rotorwrench's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Posts: 10,171
Default Re: 8BA Water Pump Kits by Dennis Carpenter.

The only weird ones in the 8BA family were the partial bushing pumps made for the 1949 Mercury. It was a one year only thing with an oiler cap. The 49 Merc had special front engine mounts so a person is sort of stuck with them to keep the car original. I have to rebuild the 0CM Mercury pumps like the ones illustrated above since they aren't reproduced. They have the spring ring clip. This is likely why they put the clip in there so that one size fits all.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 11:32 AM   #12
Phil Gillespie
Senior Member
 
Phil Gillespie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Christchurch New Zealand
Posts: 1,022
Default Re: 8BA Water Pump Kits by Dennis Carpenter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorwrench View Post
The only weird ones in the 8BA family were the partial bushing pumps made for the 1949 Mercury. It was a one year only thing with an oiler cap. The 49 Merc had special front engine mounts so a person is sort of stuck with them to keep the car original. I have to rebuild the 0CM Mercury pumps like the ones illustrated above since they aren't reproduced. They have the spring ring clip. This is likely why they put the clip in there so that one size fits all.
Again thanks for info. can always get the "good oil' from this site much appreciated.
Phil NZ
Phil Gillespie is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:55 AM.