Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-25-2019, 10:11 PM   #1
Ken/Alabama

Default They're Still Out There

Looked at this 40 Tudor today. 48K original miles , original upholstery , owners hand book in glovebox tool kit and Jack in trunk. One repaint in the 60s. . Been right here in my home town unknown to me. Not running,brakes need to be rebuilt. His price is $20K not negotiable.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (25.9 KB, 360 views)
Ken/Alabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 12:28 PM   #2
mhsprecher

Default Re: They're Still Out There

If you have room and the $, buy it.
mhsprecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 08:37 AM   #3
fortyfords

There are lots of 40 Fords out there, I'm looking for a coupe just like that sedan in that price range.
fortyfords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 11:44 AM   #4
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken/Alabama View Post
Looked at this 40 Tudor today. 48K original miles , original upholstery , owners hand book in glovebox tool kit and Jack in trunk. One repaint in the 60s. . Been right here in my home town unknown to me. Not running,brakes need to be rebuilt. His price is $20K not negotiable.
He's a bit on the "proud side". Much nicer Tudors are typically just in that price range.
I believe there are lot of guys, especially the older boys, that have not kept up with value trends.
Old 01-27-2019, 11:51 AM   #5
Ken/Alabama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kube View Post
He's a bit on the "proud side". Much nicer Tudors are typically just in that price range.
I believe there are lot of guys, especially the older boys, that have not kept up with value trends.
That's my thinking also. An offer has been made. Gonna let him sit on it and see what happens.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (55.9 KB, 217 views)

Last edited by Ken/Alabama; 01-27-2019 at 11:56 AM.
Ken/Alabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 12:16 PM   #6
drolston

Might as well run the wheels off of them now, because in a generation, you will not be able to give them away. An unrestored Model T is barely worth scrap steel value now, because nobody grew up with them, or knows how to drive them, or wants to work on them.
drolston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 12:31 PM   #7
skidmarks

Quote:
Originally Posted by drolston View Post
Might as well run the wheels off of them now, because in a generation, you will not be able to give them away. An unrestored Model T is barely worth scrap steel value now, because nobody grew up with them, or knows how to drive them, or wants to work on them.
They might not bring what they use to, but if you could buy a nice T for scrap hotrodders would be buying them up for donor cars.
I would love to buy a nice 26 27 turtle deck roadster for.scrap price!
skidmarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 12:34 PM   #8
HDowse

My Fordor price was $20K three years ago. The brakes, wiring, carb, fuel pump, dizzy all needed rebuilding. Same deal, been in the family for years, lots of original paperwork,including the various owner's gas and oil records in one of those thin, narrow Motor Books right back to the first fill up. I offered $15 and we split the difference. Folks can't believe it's all original inside, 43,000 miles and one paint job forty years ago. Sure hope you get the car. BTW, mine came with the 4:11 rear, did you check on yours? Great for the NH and VT hills but 50-55 is tops for speed.
HDowse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 01:25 PM   #9
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDowse View Post
My Fordor price was $20K three years ago. The brakes, wiring, carb, fuel pump, dizzy all needed rebuilding. Same deal, been in the family for years, lots of original paperwork,including the various owner's gas and oil records in one of those thin, narrow Motor Books right back to the first fill up. I offered $15 and we split the difference. Folks can't believe it's all original inside, 43,000 miles and one paint job forty years ago. Sure hope you get the car. BTW, mine came with the 4:11 rear, did you check on yours? Great for the NH and VT hills but 50-55 is tops for speed.
I believe you did quite well threes years ago with your Fordor. Being (now)2019 and it being a Fordor, I doubt it would reach that money now.
Good for you!
Old 01-27-2019, 05:38 PM   #10
Kerk

36 Pump. Waiting to hear from You . Kerk
Kerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 12:43 PM   #11
itslow

Quote:
Stop being Chicken Little.

As noted previously, an unrestored T isn't "barely worth scrap steel value now". And when did they ever command a high dollar? As long as I can recollect, A's, B's, and every later model year has been worth more in a like condition; in some cases substantially so.

The sky is not falling.

Wanted:
- '32-34 Open Cab Pickup (RPU) parts and documents/articles/info
- ARDUN parts
itslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 12:48 PM   #12
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kube View Post
I believe you did quite well threes years ago with your Fordor. Being (now)2019 and it being a Fordor, I doubt it would reach that money now.
Good for you!
I think he bought it for that price, not sold it. If I'm reading it correctly.
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 12:51 PM   #13
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by itslow View Post

As noted previously, an unrestored T isn't "barely worth scrap steel value now". And when did they ever command a high dollar? As long as I can recollect, A's, B's, and every later model year has been worth more in a like condition; in some cases substantially so.

The sky is not falling.
When my roadster is done this spring, I am on the hunt for a T. I want one with an OHV conversion and Buffalo wires.

I agree with you and stop with this chicken little nonsense.

Some dudes need to expand their horizons a little more.

Hot rodding and old Fords are the hot ticket right now. No, they aren't selling on Fordbarn or in Hemmings, but if you get hooked up with the hot rod circles on Instagram and the like, there is an entire other world fooling with these cars and buying up any and all that are decent.

Don't believe me? Check it out for yourself. TROG and the like have given this hobby a much needed shot in the arm.

Last edited by Tim Ayers; 01-28-2019 at 12:57 PM.
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 01:52 PM   #14
Vintage Copper 47

Quote:
Sad, but true

"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm".

"Old enough for the experience & too young to know better"
Vintage Copper 47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 05:46 PM   #15
A bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by itslow View Post

The sky is not falling.
I'm on your side. The rust buckets and jalopys of yore are getting the attention of those who can fill their desires for collectibles. See Velocity Channel on the weekends.

The 'T' Model Ford, by the end of its run, was lets say, not appreciated. Today the brass ones are climbing. The Black edition has been just too prevalent. As far as using them. Stock. Its mostly a matter of them using you, to maintain and drive (don't get me wrong I thoroughly enjoy the 'tinkering', fussing, safety checks, adjustments and grease rags) Fun as that is, more fun is had making it stroll down the road, or gobble up a hill. Point is, more toy than car.

That ramble brings me to the main point. Cars are cars, collectibles are collectibles. I suspect that a large portion of us Barners are in the car lover category. Down the road of these cars, yes, may come a time when they wont be acceptable for use, despite perfection. They will still be bought and sold.
Old 01-28-2019, 06:27 PM   #16
39portlander

Quote:
That's pretty funny there, I was the lucky one out of a dozen looking @ my 26 when it was for sale. I did not grow up with them, have not driven it yet and sure the hell love learning about and working on this T and hope to get it on the road soon.

Like my 39, it's the people you meet and knowledge you gain along the way with this car hobby, thanks we have the FordBarn to share it or in your case, not.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0980.jpg (73.2 KB, 85 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0912.jpg (70.9 KB, 87 views)
39portlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 07:13 PM   #17
alanwoodieman

tudors are and were always my favorite, right after my 40 wagon.
alanwoodieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 01:06 PM   #18
petehoovie

Here's a '40 Tudor advertised on Hemmings > https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds...tml?refer=news

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 08:04 PM   #19
TJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by petehoovie View Post
Here's a '40 Tudor advertised on Hemmings > https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds...tml?refer=news
That's a nice '40, but good luck in selling it for $29,500, especially with those two spotlights.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote