Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-11-2022, 10:46 PM   #1
Billyo194

Default New to FORD BARN - 1st question

Hello everyone, what an incredible find this site is.
Excited new owner of 1930 Model A recently inherited from my wife’s side. She remembers riding in it early 1980’s as a young lass. Then it was parked in a cement floor pole barn since then and never moved or touched. It looks to be in great shape considering. It was trailered to my pole barn and I’m excited to join the FORD BARN to learn more about what I need to do and in what order. I’ve ordered Les Andrews book and hope it comes soon!!! Not looking to make this show quality, but going to really enjoy driving around town with it.
The first thing I think I should do before getting the Les Andrews book is to get something in the spark plug holes and try to turn it over every couple weeks while I play with other things like getting the gas tank and seats out and cleaned up.
I do want to drop the pan and get eyes in there before I go about trying to really see if it will start.
SO MY VERY FIRST QUESTION FOR THE GROUP IS:
Should I put something down the spark plugs and would it be a shot glass amount of marvel mystery oil or automatic transmission fluid? Could I then pull on the fan and see if it will roll over? Maybe do this a couple times over the next few weeks before having a buddy who knows a bit more about compression see if this is seized?
Billyo194 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2022, 11:11 PM   #2
Gil Sissons

Default Re: New to FORD BARN - 1st question

Welcome to the Barn!
I would start with pulling the plugs and a good shot of Marvel Mystry oil down there.
Give it a little time to start to work.
Lots of help on this site.
Gil. NoCal
Gil Sissons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2022, 01:09 AM   #3
lrf

Welcome to owning the best car ever made. Oil in the cylinder is correct but DON'T use the fan to turn the engine. Place the trans in reverse or 3rd and rock the car back and forth with the plugs out. You'll feel and hear the engine turning over. Also read all you can and join a Model A club, the members are very knowledgeable. Enjoy the ride. LRF
lrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2022, 02:23 AM   #4
Dodge

Welcome! Welcome!
Remember the only dumb question is the one not asked. So ask away here, lots
of help here.

And do see if you can join a local club and have some members come over and help
you go over it and get it ready to start and drive.

Lots of stuff to check when its been sitting that long. Go slow and it will reward you.
Enjoy, your in for some good times.

Dodge
Dodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2022, 04:25 AM   #5
bavArian

Welcome!

I would pull the plugs, squirt a bit of oil inside the cylinders and try turning the engine with the hand crank. It should turn over quite easily without the spark plugs.
bavArian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2022, 05:39 AM   #6
Stingray70

Welcome to the barn! Assuming the engine turns over, I would flush the fuel tank, change the oil in the engine, transmission, rear end, and lube the car before driving it. Use the service guide in Les Andrews book as a guide for what to check to make the car roadworthy.. I started at the top of the list and did everything on it.
Old 04-12-2022, 07:13 AM   #7
nkaminar

Welcome,

All good suggestions so far.

Why was the car parked? It would be nice to get some history on the car. Was there a knock or some other problem?

Find the hand crank to turn it over. If it is seized you will have to take the engine apart. New hand cranks are available on the internet.

To get it running, you will have to clean out the fuel system and probably the carburetor. The points will probably need to be cleaned or maybe new ones. And a new battery. Check all the fluids and grease the car. Change the engine oil and pour one quart down the hole where the distributor is to add oil to the bearings. Look at the oil to see if there is sludge or water or metal particles. Use 50/50 antifreeze in the radiator.

Depending on why the car was parked and what condition it was stored in, the prudent thing to do is to take the engine apart for a thorough inspection. Model A engines are really simple and easy to work on. You will need some way to hoist the engine out and an engine stand. If you have any mechanical ability you should be able to do that. Beats crawling under the car.
The clutch always sticks, and starts with a jerk.
My car grows red hair, and flies through the air.
Driving's a blast, a blast from the past.

Last edited by nkaminar; 04-12-2022 at 07:23 AM.
nkaminar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2022, 07:58 AM   #8
TerryO

[QUOTE Could I then pull on the fan and see if it will roll over? ][/QUOTE]
Yes, pull on the fan, (as in off) and replace it with a new aluminum fan. The old fan is probably not very safe...
TOB
TerryO is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2022, 08:04 AM   #9
tinkirk

just sent you a pm
tinkirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2022, 08:07 AM   #10
WHN

My experience with a Model A that had been parked form many years.

First, don’t start taking things apart until you know what you have or might have to deal with.

Drain and clean the fuel lines. Remove spark plugs and put Marval Mystery Oil in the cylinders. Let this sit for a couple of days. Than drain oil and add new oil. Remember you only need to add 4 1/2 quarts of oil unless you have dropped the oil pan, than it will take five quarts. The recommendation to put one of the quarts of oil down the distributor shaft is a good one. Pulling the distributor out and re installing, will not change the timing if you don’t move anything. I would use 20w-40 HD oil. Get new spark plugs, gap to 35. Clean points, don’t go crazy here. New battery, new gas (just two gallons), add water to radiator.

Check for leaks, water or gas. Start car. You might be surprised with what you have.

Remember! Just like your grandfather who has been sitting in his chair to long. It might take a few minutes after car starts to run before you will really know what you have.

Please don’t start taking things apart before you know what your dealing with.

I have a car that sat for 25 years in a barn in Up-State N.Y. Started right up. Still running great today, 42 years later.

Down the road you might have to rebuild or replace many things. But, if the engine is sound? That would be a real plus.

I wish you the best. Good luck. Keep it in the family. There like a really good dog. Good memories.

Put some MMO in the gas.

Enjoy

Last edited by WHN; 04-12-2022 at 08:19 AM.
WHN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2022, 08:52 AM   #11
Chuck Dempsey

Welcome aboard, and good luck!
Chuck Dempsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2022, 09:08 AM   #12
MAG

Billy, "I do want to drop the pan and get eyes in there before I go about trying to really see if it will start."

An excellent thing to do.

In most cases these cars were run with Non-detergent oil which produces sludge in the oil pan and tappet gallery. Most likely the oil pump screen will be covered with sludge and make it difficult or impossible to pump oil. Changing the oil will not remove the sludge from the screen. Removing the pan will not disturb any adjustments so there should be no worry there.
If you feel so inclined, do a Plastigage test on the rod and main clearances while the pan is off. MHO.
Old 04-12-2022, 09:37 AM   #13
Bob Bidonde

BillyO! If you haven't done it already, find the nearest Model "A" club and join. Ask the members for help with your car. It's the best way to learn about a Model "A". Get it running, make it safe and enjoy your Model "A" as soon as possible.
Old 04-12-2022, 09:39 AM   #14
Big hammer

As for turning an engine over without a hand crank, slip a socket over the ratchet nut on the end of the crankshaft slip an extension through the radiator hand crank hole use a long ratchet or breaker bar to turn the engine over. The parts suppliers sell a box wrench that does the same thing just behind the radiator and it’s close quarters in there!
Old 04-12-2022, 11:02 AM   #15
Benson

Billy,

Before you buy a crank or bend a fan blade ... look under the front then back seats there might already be a crank under there!

OR USE BIG HAMMER'S method!

As mentioned above there is a serious danger in using the original steel TWO BLADE fan blades!

Check two bladed fan with magnet if it is attacted to it is steel and dangerious.

The new aluminium fan blades are safe.

If it is steel DO NOT rev up engine and have your head near the fan!

My Coupe has four inch wide, three sided hole in the hood where blade went though it.

The previous owner said that they never did find that blade.

Last edited by Benson; 04-12-2022 at 11:21 AM.
Benson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2022, 11:25 AM   #16
J Franklin

The fan is too fragile to use as a crank. add a little oil with the shot of marvel Mystery Oil.
J Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2022, 12:06 PM   #17
ursus

My coupe had sat for years in a barn. Both rear axle and transmission had slowly leaked oil over the years. It would be wise to check fluid levels on both as well as the steering gear before driving the car.
ursus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2022, 12:31 PM   #18
Y-Blockhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big hammer View Post
As for turning an engine over without a hand crank, slip a socket over the ratchet nut on the end of the crankshaft slip an extension through the radiator hand crank hole use a long ratchet or breaker bar to turn the engine over. The parts suppliers sell a box wrench that does the same thing just behind the radiator and it’s close quarters in there!
Yes, usually a 1⅜" socket.

I bent up a 1⅜" wrench to fit. I bought several (~$10 each) and bent them for club members.

Welcome to the Barn Billyo

Last edited by Y-Blockhead; 04-12-2022 at 12:39 PM.
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2022, 01:07 PM   #19
goodcar

"while I play with other things like getting the gas tank out and cleaned up" Whoa!! on this unless the tank has holes in it. Removing the gas tank is major work and maybe not needed. Flush it, dump in a gallon of new gas and make sure it has good clean outflow.
goodcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2022, 01:17 PM   #20
jack backer
BANNED

A model A engine needs oil in the valve gallery to lubricate the main bearings. Without pre filling the valve gallery through the distributor hole a long term stored engine can run over 30 seconds with dry main bearings. As mentioned above, pre fill the valve gallery before starting engine.
jack backer is offline   Reply With Quote