Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-01-2022, 10:05 AM   #1
quik

Default 1941 Parking Brake Question(?)

I've got a 1941 Ford 1/2 ton pickup and I'm trying to get the parking brake mechanism to work properly. The parking brake is the under dash type and when I pull the handle to set the brake, the brake won't stay locked in place. The release handle works but the lever that locks against the mechanism teeth seems to be missing a spring (?). I can't find any pics or information about how the mechanism works, so I thought maybe someone here may know.

I attached some pics below of the parking brake lever out of the truck. Just from studying how the release mechanism works, I'm 99% sure I'm missing a spring to push the locking lever against the mechanism teeth. I think this may be the spring I'm missing:

The website lists the spring as: Emergency Brake Lever Pawl Spring - Ford Passenger (it's listed as fitting 1941 trucks on another website)

Does this spring push the brake lever pawl against the mechanism teeth? If so, does anyone happen to have a picture of it, or could they take a picture of their parking brake lever for reference? Thanks in advance.

Shawn
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image1.jpg (34.8 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg image2.jpg (30.9 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg image0.jpg (30.5 KB, 27 views)
quik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 10:13 PM   #2
cadillac512

Default Re: 1941 Parking Brake Question(?)

Yes, my '41 Merc is much the same.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0396.jpg (17.6 KB, 35 views)

'41 Merc Town Sedan / 260" 8CM engine
'66 Fairlane four door / "warmed up" 302
cadillac512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2022, 11:23 AM   #3
quik

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillac512 View Post
Yes, my '41 Merc is much the same.
Cadillac, thanks for the pic. That looks like the same spring that I posted above and your pic helps with the orientation of where the spring sits.

Would you happen to have a pic of where the spring arms rest to create tension in the spring?
Old 08-02-2022, 05:02 PM   #4
cadillac512

If you look closely in the pic I posted you can see the one leg of the spring pointing straight down and being located by a tab on the left inboard side of the lever. I'll try to get a shot of the other end, but it's not too easy in the car.

Terry

Old 08-03-2022, 09:22 AM   #5
quik

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillac512 View Post
If you look closely in the pic I posted you can see the one leg of the spring pointing straight down and being located by a tab on the left inboard side of the lever. I'll try to get a shot of the other end, but it's not too easy in the car.

Terry
I noticed that in your pic and was wondering if that was the long leg of the spring. Thanks for the info.

I removed the lever that rides on the teeth from the parking brake last night. I then put the parking brake handle on the bench and laid the lever on the parking brake so I could see the orientation of the lever relative to the teeth and the parking brake release handle. The picture is below.

Notice the indentation in the upper left of the lever? It looks like a spot where a spring arm would rest. The spring would push the lever against the teeth. Plus, the parking brake release button pushes on the bottom left of the lever which would push the lever away from the teeth at the top. This would allow the parking brake to be released. I sure hope that all made sense.

The spring should arrive in the mail today. If I get a chance I plan to mess with it again tonight and hopefully having all the parts will inspire an epiphany on how it all goes back together (and WORKS!).

Thanks for the help Cadillac, it's appreciated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1632.jpg (49.2 KB, 21 views)
Old 08-03-2022, 09:52 PM   #6
cadillac512

You're welcome. I tried to get a shot of the other leg of the spring this evening but couldn't get a clear view with it mounted in the car. I think what you are seeing on the lever is probably accurate though, and hopefully it becomes clear when you get the spring. Is that lever mounted on a rivet?... because it sure looks like mine is riveted together.

Terry

Old 08-04-2022, 01:53 PM   #7
quik

Thanks for the attempt at getting a pic. Getting under these dashboards can be an exercise in flexibility sometimes.

They sent the wrong spring, so I'm going to Home Depot tonight to try and find a spring loaded hinge with a spring that looks like it will work with some slight modifications. If I can't find what I'm looking for I know where I can order the right spring. I just don't feel like paying $10 shipping/handling for a $3.50 spring.

Yeah, the lever is mounted on a rivet, but I plan to reassemble the hand brake with shoulder bolts and metal locking nuts. I picked up everything I need last night and it should go back together nicely.
Old 08-04-2022, 08:14 PM   #8
quik

I stopped by Ace hardware on the way home (I love that place) and found a couple springs I could modify and use for the lever in the parking brake. The first pic below is one of the springs I bought and the second pic is after a little modification. It works pretty good but I think it needs a little more tension in the spring to make sure it lasts for several years. It’s a pretty good start and I only paid $2 for both springs, which ordering the spring from Mac auto parts would have cost me $15 and a week waiting to get it in the mail.

Thanks for the help Cadillac. Your pic helped me figure out how to shape the spring and make it work.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0B01CE59-56CF-4FC0-9AD7-3898B8AF5C5D.jpg (67.7 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg 8E57031E-5713-4BE5-9971-9A22B5276D54.jpg (69.8 KB, 12 views)
Old 08-05-2022, 08:01 AM   #9
cadillac512

You're quite welcome. Good job!

Old 08-07-2022, 12:34 PM   #10
1942deluxe

Quik, if the spring doesn't hold up let me know. I think I have a few of the 91A NOS springs in my stuff.
1942deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 01:18 PM   #11
quik

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1942deluxe View Post
Quik, if the spring doesn't hold up let me know. I think I have a few of the 91A NOS springs in my stuff.
1942deluxe, With a little tweaking the spring worked out great. Thanks for the offer.