Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-30-2022, 12:44 PM   #81
Sal

Default Re: 1942 Ford deluxe coupe project

Doesn't that coil need a resistor to bring down the voltage? Like the '47s and '48s do.
Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 03:05 PM   #82
1942deluxe

Sal, I don't think so as it has one under the dash on the firewall. I asked Skip that and if I understood him correctly you don't need two.
1942deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 05:55 PM   #83
meric42

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1942deluxe View Post
Sal, I don't think so as it has one under the dash on the firewall. I asked Skip that and if I understood him correctly you don't need two.
Correct you only need one resistor in the circuit to limit the current in the primary circuit or things will start to cook :P

Gotta love my '42 Sedan Delivery's - Now that I own the only two in New Zealand

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/album.php?albumid=580
meric42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 06:52 AM   #84
sugarmaker

Folks,
John reached a important point in his project yesterday. He fired up the flathead for the first time. He researched some electrical gremlins, checked spark at the plugs, dribbled some fuel in the carb and fired it up. Several short startups and the day was considered a great success! He has the fan and generator to install, then should be able to get some break in time on the 59AB engine.
Oh she sounds "very" healthy right out of the mainfolds! I like it! There may be a face book video somewhere out there taken by John's wife Cathy. I might have to see if I can find it too.
Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets
sugarmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 04:36 PM   #85
FrankWest

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1942deluxe View Post
Attachment 480361 I don't know if the attachment came thru but
I've started on my 1942 Deluxe coupe. With my friend Sugarmaker's
assistance I may be able to post some pictures as I make progress. Bought the car when I was out in Iowa the week of 9/11. Needs every bolt touched but just a really solid car. Plans are to install a 59 A-B that we brought home today. I was able to find a number of NOS parts for it thru the years.
nice looking original paint...Use Johnson's paste wax it will look fantastic.
FrankWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 06:42 AM   #86
sugarmaker

Folks,
John's 42 update. Several, ok many, times we started the rebuilt 59AB engine buy letting it sip or gulp fuel from an hand held can. The 42 had issues pulling gas from the tank to the fuel pump. We would get a 1/4 teaspoon then nothing. Took the line off the pump and tank and blew compressed air backward through it several times, seemed clear. Filled the sediment bowl, nothing. Sucked fuel through the line from the tank with a shop vac, not recommended practice but this assured us gas was at the soft , short hose to the pump. Still no prime. Nothing! John replaced the pump with a rebuilt spare. And while off I checked / learned about the assembly. I had never touched one. John had it correctly assembled on the engine! We tested both pumps manually and got a good shower of gas from both. Slow learner on this end. Found a slight leak on the line fitting exiting the new gas tank. Tightened that. Low pressure air added to the filler neck started the gas flow while John cranked the V8 Flathead. Found leak at carb end of the copper line from the pump. Well he now has the pump primed! He had a new line, and installed that. Found leak at the pump outlet. Removed line and inserted the copper into the fitting (non ferrel type) further. Got it! He then was able to start the engine with the fuel pump operational!! It ran for a couple minutes and then quit. Acted like it ran out of fuel?? That's how he ended the day. He will add the fan and gen maybe Tuesday and hopefully resolve any future fuel delivery issues as the bugs are worked out.
Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets
Old 07-05-2022, 07:48 AM   #87
sugarmaker

Folks,
Some Flathead pictures:

Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets
Old 07-06-2022, 05:40 AM   #88
sugarmaker

42 Flathead update,
John installed the fan, belts and generator assemblies on the Flathead and made several attempts to get it pulling fuel from the tank. Seems we are back to square one? We tried many options. Several pump changes. Several calls to Charlie NY. Charlie was great support for us. He is sending a care package to John with components that may help too. We are not giving up, just kicking back and thinking of the next moves to get this engine running on gas from the tank. We may plumb in a auxaillary tank to try that.
Just seems that the fuel pumps are not getting gas to the carb yet. Maybe we are "that" close and dont know it?
John thinks I may have to ride on the right front fender, with my beard blowing in the wind, pouring gas in the carb, as he drives the 42! Hummn??

Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets
Old 07-06-2022, 04:46 PM   #89
1942deluxe

Running great!!! Ran a fitting from the rubber fuel line to a fuel can. End result is probably one of the strongest running flatheads I've ever had. Charlie NY carb, distributor, and fuel pump working to perfection. I had Skip redo a coil for me and that also seems great. Only bad news is I need to replace the fuel line from the firewall to the tank. OH, well it made it 80 years. Can't recommend Charlie enough. Service and patient advice after the sale. There aren't enough Charlie's in the world in my opinion.
Old 07-06-2022, 05:24 PM   #90
Bored&Stroked

I second the vote of confidence in Charlie NY . . . he's done quite a few things for me and will always do the best job he possibly can and stands behind his work. Thanks for posting your progress - looks like you're going to have a heck of a good ride!
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 08:17 AM   #91
sugarmaker

Folks,
What you have been waiting for!
https://youtu.be/vpp8FRYO6vk

Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets
Old 07-07-2022, 08:25 AM   #92
Bored&Stroked

Sounds great! Make sure he doesn't run it too much in the garage . . . as it needs to be broken in under load on the highway. While we all like to hear them run, the best thing he can do is take the car out and flog it multiple times - up to higher RPMs to get the rings to seat.
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 09:00 AM   #93
sugarmaker

Dale, Folks,
John will need to get the gas line/ new tank operational. I dont plan on riding the front fender, with the gas can while he is flogging it on the road!
Other than that I think he has it just about road worthy! Maybe a couple minor things.
Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets
Old 07-07-2022, 09:16 AM   #94
sugarmaker

Folks,
Another short clip.
https://youtu.be/1DmBy3XagmI

Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets
Old 07-08-2022, 06:48 AM   #95
sugarmaker

Folks,
John came over to play cars with me and proceeded to tear into this old fuel line, which for some reason was causing us fits. He did some initial clean up along the frame and lightened the 42 by at least 5 lbs!

What he found was a slight wet spot in the old line at one of the clips. This was a rusted spot sucking air and not allowing the fuel pump to prime from the tank.

New fuel line will be installed soon. And he will be just about ready for the open hood Sherman road testing event. He told me the story that he did this same trick when he was younger and one of the neighbors alerted him to the fact that it was not appropriate. We are going to do it again in his honor!

At 80 it needs a transplant not a bypass operation!

I have come to hold Ford in high regard for the design of these smooth rounded flat top fenders on this 42 Ford. These are a pleasure to work over, lean on, climb on, spread out tools on, set your drink on, and plan the next moves!
John has been working closely with Charlie NY on the fuel deliver issue. We believe his pump rebuild work was fine and the main problem was the old rusted fuel line! In hindsite we could have tried the auxilarry fuel tank much earlier in the process, but that would have taken all the fun right out of it!

Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets

Last edited by sugarmaker; 07-09-2022 at 07:23 AM.
Old 07-09-2022, 07:21 AM   #96
sugarmaker

Folks,
John did a very nice job putting a gas line in the 42. Using the orig clips and brackets, and the original end fittings with new ferrels on the ends of the 1/4 inch new soft line.

So all buttoned up he has a abundance of fuel at the carb. He is is working on that to undserstand why the system has a little more fuel than required.

Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets
Old 07-09-2022, 09:22 AM   #97
Charlie ny
BANNED

Chris/John,
The abundance of fuel aka fuel gushing out of the vent tube in the air horn
is ,I'm pretty sure, a tiny chunk of something between the needle and seat...it doesn't take much. Check my email to you sent late last night.
With you all the way,
Charlie

Last edited by Charlie ny; 07-09-2022 at 09:23 AM. Reason: added the
Charlie ny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2022, 01:40 PM   #98
1942deluxe

I saw your email this morning. In total agreement. In the next day or so we'll check it. I'm guessing a chunk of the 80 year old fuel line decided that would be a nice place to move to! Why I didn't replace the fuel line to begin with....we are almost there!
Old 07-10-2022, 08:13 AM   #99
fortyonerag

Loving this thread, kinda curious though.

I only have to look at my car and I can double for Pigpen.

How do you stay so clean?

Fingers crossed for the first drive!
fortyonerag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2022, 10:01 AM   #100
1942deluxe

fortyonerag, days, weeks, and months of cleaning components. The car lived on a dirt road sometime in its life. Lots of northern Iowa dirt on the chassis. Here in NW Pennsylvania, we have a strong 5 months of winter and I spent most of it cleaning. You'll notice I'm wearing long sleeved shirts. At this stage of my life if I even nick my arms or hands I bleed like a stuck pig. That if there's one jagged edge on the car I'll find it!