Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-19-2020, 11:44 AM   #21
BUBBAS IGNITION

Default Re: Attention distributor rebuilders!

Mike , I bought 12 sets of CS47 from my napa warehouse friday after noon and they were all the good ones .
A lot of parts folks do the re-box thing by the hundreds ...never know where they are coming from....
BUBBAS IGNITION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 03:00 PM   #22
supereal

We ordered 6 sets at our shop. Only two were usable. Send them back to the seller so they know about this problem. Most, if not all, are made "offshore" today, as with other parts. You may not catch them unless the distributor is run on a machine. The strobe wheel will detect point "float" at medium to high engine speeds. If you have problems on the road, such as "missing" or reduced power, you may have these bogus sets.
supereal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 03:11 PM   #23
Bored&Stroked

I really appreciate the work, research and technical information you guys put forth - it is a great help to others. Thank You gang!
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 03:16 PM   #24
Lawrie

Man , that must be the problem of the last two spare dist I ran up on my machine,they would miss fire above 3000 rpm ,I will now strip them and check the spring pressure on the points.
Lawrie
Lawrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 05:52 PM   #25
35fordtn

Jim I ordered five sets of echlin, five of standard, and five of those WVE points. Those WVE points were rather impressive but then again I only tried one set. I’ll report back next week on how they all turn out

As a side note I retried the carpenter points. They took a bit of work in bending the tension springs and stationary points. They performed but only just ok. For some reason with the carpenter points I had to advance the timing slider almost all the way just to get the initial timing correct.
35fordtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 12:23 AM   #26
35fordtn

This seller seems to be claiming his parts are "Made in USA" and the points appear to be without a doubt Carpenter points which are made in India...I am unaware of any US made points.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/26366363160...m=263663631600

Last edited by 35fordtn; 01-20-2020 at 12:30 AM.
Old 01-20-2020, 01:01 AM   #27
cas3

thank you for your persistence, and keeping us informed.
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 12:33 PM   #28
sanford

Thought I'd chime in here. I've written a lot about points in the V-8 Times over the years, and like so many other things in life, the information keeps changing! I have a coffee can filled with old points I removed over the years. It's interesting to see the differences in the various brands. But see the photo. The TOP points are what Michael Driskell sells. Sharp bend near the contact as he stated in a post. These are excellent. The bottom one has the smooth curved strap which according to posts is a "bad" set. But guess what make the bottom one is? FORD, made in USA! I will say however that the tension on the Ford brand is just about the same as Michael's. I found quite a few old sets that had the bad curve—some had what seems like good tension and some were pretty weak. So the discussion goes on. Look what you started Henry!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Point-comparrison.jpg (38.0 KB, 24 views)
sanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 05:14 PM   #29
Ziggster

I find this all very interesting and relevant. It is bigger than just the issues with the points. I can say I'm getting really tired of all the inferior stuff from off-shore. I think they are just laughing at us all the way to the bank. Just take a look at the skyline of Shanghi from 1987 to 2013. Rant over...

https://www.theatlantic.com/photo/20...nd-now/100569/
Ziggster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 08:27 PM   #30
35fordtn

I really gave this whole situation a test today..
I order 5x of the following points and isntalled them on the same distributor and made notes of each and compared them to NOS and NORS points...
I ordered in five sets of Echlin CS47, Standard FD6770, and WVE (wells) 4P1599

Of the five set of standards two I returned without installling due to the previous issues mentioned in this post. None of the WVE or Echlin points were returned this go around as all looked great. Now to the nitty gritty.....

Tests on the Sun Machine

Standard FD6770... required minor bending of the LH stationaary point to set up. Point float at 5250 engine RPM's (2625 dist rpm's)

Echlin CS47 set up fine, 6120 Engine rpms before point float

WVE 4P1599 Set up fine 6510 before point float

NOS Ford points set up fine 3125 RPMS before point float

Borg Warner NORS points set up fine 3910 RPM's before point float

Nimco NORS points set up fine 6840 RPm's before point float

Carpenter points Required excessive bending of the stationary points to set up.. 3410 RPMS point float

All in all Nimco was the winner, but old stock stuff that is hard to find. .. As far as NEW, WVE (wells) and Echlin are the clear winner. This test honestly confused me as Echlin is owned and made by Standard.. I have always used Standard until the recent issues and looks like Echlin and WVE will be my go to from here on out.. For a side note Standard makes Echlin points, but WVE is a totally different entity.