Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-15-2018, 04:52 PM   #1
DC 69

Default Oil Return Pipe

Leaning something new every day on my '29 CCPU: After looking at other engines, I realized my engine doesn't have an oil return pipe. Since taking ownership, I have driven approx. 500 miles without the pipe.

Major, moderate, or minor issue?

Any insight/info greatly appreciated. - Thanks
DC 69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 04:57 PM   #2
Charlie Stephens

Default Re: Oil Return Pipe

I assume you are talking about the pipe that goes diagonally on the side of the engine.

Do you mean it wasn't installed, in which case you have a problem?

Is it one of the few Model A engines built without the pipe?

Is it a Model B engine (commonly used in Model A's)?

A picture would be nice.

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 07:17 PM   #3
2manycars

If it has a place for a fuel pump on the lower right side, and the side cover is rather large, it is a Model B engine.
Old 09-16-2018, 11:22 AM   #4
Jim Brierley

Model B's had pressure oiling to the main bearings, and no return pipe, plus a few other things.
Jim Brierley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 11:45 AM   #5
MikeK

The oil return pipe was placed to prevent overfilling of the rear of the valve chamber, either at higher engine rpm or on uphill runs. The earlier years had a higher placement, then it was lowered a bit to further reduce oil loss.

Running without one, or with the pipe blocked will not cause damage, just increased oil consumption and rear leakage.
MikeK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 11:44 PM   #6
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeK View Post
The oil return pipe was placed to prevent overfilling of the rear of the valve chamber, either at higher engine rpm or on uphill runs. The earlier years had a higher placement, then it was lowered a bit to further reduce oil loss.

Running without one, or with the pipe blocked will not cause damage, just increased oil consumption and rear leakage.
More info;

http://www.fordgarage.com/pages/oilreturnpipes.htm
Old 09-16-2018, 11:49 PM   #7
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Brierley View Post
Model B's had pressure oiling to the main bearings, and no return pipe, plus a few other things.

More info;

http://www.fordgarage.com/pages/ABva...rvarieties.htm
Old 09-17-2018, 08:47 AM   #8
Bob Bidonde

In 1928 there were some engines made without an oil return pipe.

If the oil return pipe in question is the one in the rear main bearing, running without it does no harm to the engine. The consequence may be more oil leakage onto the ground.
Old 09-17-2018, 09:56 AM   #9
wrndln

I have a July 1928 engine that does not have an external oil return pipe. I bought the engine about 8 or 9 years ago from a fellow that didn't know much about it. He thought it had rebuilt, but it seems like they all say that. It has been setting in the corner of my shop since then. I don't believe there were many engines that were made without an oil return pipe, at least than is what the JS's state. There are 4 small holes in the bottom of the valve gallery area for the oil to drain back into the oil pan. I don't currently have pictures of the engine, but plan to take some soon once I get it out where pictures can be taken and show it well.

Rusty Nelson
wrndln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 06:54 PM   #10
redmodelt

On of these day we might hear back from DC 69. Or as a little nudge, do not just ask questions and leave us hanging. Nothing worse then asking for help and not getting back to the helpers.
Old 09-17-2018, 11:18 PM   #11
Marshall V. Daut

As the early Model A engines without oil return pipes were made at the end of 1927 before pipes were introduced, the odds are stacked against this being a very early Model A engine. My money's with others, who suspect the engine is a Model B. In the 1970's it was THE thing to do to put a Model B engine in a Model A to gain 10 horsepower. The popularity of such an engine swap died out in the 1980's when the B blocks showed their inherent weakness and cracked. O.K., not all of them. But enough DID crack to evermore hang a cloud of suspicion over Model B blocks.
Marshall
Marshall V. Daut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 07:38 AM   #12
2manycars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall V. Daut View Post
As the early Model A engines without oil return pipes were made at the end of 1927 before pipes were introduced, the odds are stacked against this being a very early Model A engine. My money's with others, who suspect the engine is a Model B. In the 1970's it was THE thing to do to put a Model B engine in a Model A to gain 10 horsepower. The popularity of such an engine swap died out in the 1980's when the B blocks showed their inherent weakness and cracked. O.K., not all of them. But enough DID crack to evermore hang a cloud of suspicion over Model B blocks.
Marshall
I am one of the guilty ones. I put a B engine in my tudor in 1976. I replaced it with the original rebuilt engine 10 years ago.
Old 09-18-2018, 07:55 AM   #13
Marshall V. Daut

2manycars -
"I am one of the guilty ones. I put a B engine in my tudor in 1976. I replaced it with the original rebuilt engine 10 years ago."
Probably most of us who have been in this game for a long time are "guilty" of this same thing, Self included! I tried three different Model B blocks (one with VERY low mileage) over the years and all three developed cracks, usually in the exhaust valve seat area, but also elsewhere. The extra few horsepower gained by installing a Model B engine with the correct intake manifold, carb and head was nice, but it also meant an expensive water pump purchase and rebuild, as the B pump is quite different from a Model A. Knowing that B blocks were prone to cracking, I always lived in fear that this would happen to me - and it did, many times. I finally gave up on Model B blocks forever after the last crack I had repaired cost me $600 at a diesel engine shop (a 6" crack in the MIDDLE of the block above the main bearing saddle). Then a crack developed in the exhaust valve area. Bye-bye, Model B's for me!
I recall at the 1974 MAFCA convention on the Queen Mary in Long Beach that it seemed there were more B engines in those non-show car California Model A's than the old A-boner! 'Must have been a lot of Model B engines sent originally out there for so many to be found, purchased and installed in all those Golden State A's, all before the advent of the Internet. I wonder how many are still in those cars, or have returned to the more sturdy Model A blocks?
Marshall
Marshall V. Daut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 10:52 AM   #14
Jim Brierley

I've run only B's since 1958, no problems with cracks. I mostly run OHV conversions but have a flathead in my speedster.
Jim Brierley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 02:09 PM   #15
DC 69

Thanks for the replies. Tried to attach photos but kept getting upload error. After reading your replies, I'm sure I have a Model B engine because there's a plate that covers the area for a fuel pump. My engine doesn't have numbers stamped on the block, driver's side. My brother had my ccpu when he was in high school and said he remembers the engine was a Model B. It had a Model B carburetor on it when I received the truck. New question: Is it worth adding a fuel pump to my engine? Pros/Cons? Thanks
Old 09-21-2018, 02:21 PM   #16
Charlie Stephens

The Model B vehicles had their serial numbers stamped into a boss on the top of the flywheel housing. The boss on the side of the engine was still there but not used by Ford. The gas tank was in the back of the Model B vehicles between the frame horns and thus the pump was required to bring the fuel to the engine. The gravity feed on your Model A will work fine with the Model B engine and carb.

Charlei Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 09:51 AM   #17
DC 69

Thanks Charlie.This info makes sense.