Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-16-2019, 02:10 PM   #1
Dave Young

Default Scary ... What the hell happened ?

Out for a drive yesterday and a few blocks from home, the steering wheel started to shake and wobble quite violently. It felt like a front wheel was about to come off! A good thing I was in 2nd gear and only doing about 15 mph at the time. (I had previously been clipping along at 45 mph on a main road and can't imagine what would have happened had it occurred then). I pulled over and stopped.

I got out to inspect, fully expecting to see a wheel sitting at an odd angle but could see no problem. Looked behind the wheels and underneath but still couldn't see anything wrong. I got back in and very gingerly inched forward to recreate the wobble but nothing happened. I slowly brought it back up to about 20 mph and still nothing. Kept on going and got it back to my house without any sign of a problem.

So now what? I don't know what to do. I'm afraid to drive it again until I know the problem and have it fixed. My question then is, has anyone else experienced this? What could it be? An obvious major problem like this couldn't just go away, could it? How was I able to carry on driving it after such a serious symptom of a major problem.

The car is a fully restored 1929 tudor with not much more than 3,000 miles since restoration.
Dave Young is offline   Reply With Quote