Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-15-2013, 06:43 PM   #1
ironbuttjohn

Default t-170 FT behind a flathead

Has anyone used the t-170ft transmission behind a 59-AB and kept the TT stock rear end? I am thinking about using this in my '48.

Who's done it and what is involved ?

While we at it does anyone have one for sale?
ironbuttjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 07:51 PM   #2
Kahuna

Default Re: t-170 FT behind a flathead

What is that transmission from? I've never heard of a t-170ft
Thanks
Jim
Kahuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 10:13 PM   #3
40cpe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahuna View Post
What is that transmission from? I've never heard of a t-170ft
Thanks
Jim
From a Google search, it appears to be the '80s 3 speed + OD found in cars and pickups.
40cpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 10:44 PM   #4
Ol' Ron

There was a Ford 3 speed OD trans (T-85) that was a bolt in during the late 50's early 60's I think.
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 11:45 PM   #5
Bassman/NZ

If it's any help, I have an FTS 87 F150 3+1 behind my C59A and I retained the torque tube.

If you want to discuss it more, PM me. I've posted it on here before and the guys will be getting sick of it.
Bassman/NZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 05:26 AM   #6
Bassman/NZ

Angry Re: t-170 FT behind a flathead

Haha.... sorry guys, I got so many replies I'll put it on here so I only have to do it once. The end result is a 3 speed like a 39 trans, except it's bullet-proof, and has full modern synchros. Oh yeah..... and an overdrive!
In front I used an adapter plate from Macsspeed (also available from other suppliers) with standard early Ford throwout assembly, but with a teflon sleeve inside the throwout bearing carrier to accomodate the smaller F150 snout. Pressure plate and pilot bearing are stock but had a custom built clutch plate made that matches the F150 spline and offsets the center to accommodate the shorter splines on the F150 input shaft. The offset is about 3/8".
At the rear, I cut off the tailshaft housing, leaving just the tailshaft housing flange. I machined it flat, then made a matching steel plate from 5/16" plate and this was drilled to both bolt to the trans and bolt to the early Ford trans mount/bearing retainer. No gaskets in a F150 trans, so black RTV silicon seals it up. The trans tailshaft has to be removed and shortened, resplined to accept the early universal joint, and drilled and tapped to bolt the universal joint, same as early Ford.
The torque tube may or may not need to be shortened, depending on your application. The shifter sits about two inches back from original, so little that it's not really noticeable. I welded a 1938 shifter to the F150 shifter stub, and when the early Ford rubber boot is slid over it, it just looks like original.
Being able to shift into 1st while moving is great, as is the great downshift from 3rd to 2nd. 4th is 27% o/d on my trans (there are three models, mine is from the 302 V8 truck) and seems to give around 1950-2000 rpms at 60mph.
Trans from 300 6 cyl trucks have either 41% or 37% o/d and different 1st gear ratios. All are 1 to 1 in 3rd.
Hope this helps. My apologies for not replying individually to PMs.
Old 09-16-2013, 09:44 AM   #7
Ol' Ron

Great addition to our old Fords, can this modification be purchased??
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 09:55 AM   #8
Vic Piano

Hey John, long time no talk... How have you been? Are you planning on coming to the Moonshine Festival in Dawsonville, Ga. this year... or how about another "Barner's Bash" in Florida?
Old 09-16-2013, 10:51 AM   #9
Mart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Ron View Post
Great addition to our old Fords, can this modification be purchased??
Don't quote me on this, but doesn't Miss Victoria make these conversions?

If I could come up with a 5 speed box that would take a hopped big inch flatty and package into a 32 k-member I'd be a millionaire by now.

Mart.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 02:17 PM   #10
Kahuna

Mart,
I think you mean installing and NOT having to cut or modify the K member?
Kahuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 02:20 PM   #11
ironbuttjohn

Smile Re: t-170 FT behind a flathead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Piano View Post
Hey John, long time no talk... How have you been? Are you planning on coming to the Moonshine Festival in Dawsonville, Ga. this year... or how about another "Barner's Bash" in Florida?
Vic, good to hear from you too. I've been building a '55 F100 so not much time on Ford Barn.

Last fall my grandsons and I went to the Punkin Chunkin in Delaware with a trebuchet (that I built) and they won their division. So the first week in Nov. we'll be up.

Barner's Bash in the spring would be great. Carolyn and I had such a good time and met so many nice people. If you have it again, put us down. Oh yeah, Carolyn would like a tour of the "BIG HOUSE"
Old 09-16-2013, 02:22 PM   #12
ironbuttjohn

Who is Miss Victoria ??
Old 09-16-2013, 02:35 PM   #13
Vic Piano

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironbuttjohn View Post
Vic, good to hear from you too. I've been building a '55 F100 so not much time on Ford Barn.

Last fall my grandsons and I went to the Punkin Chunkin in Delaware with a trebuchet (that I built) and they won their division. So the first week in Nov. we'll be up.

Barner's Bash in the spring would be great. Carolyn and I had such a good time and met so many nice people. If you have it again, put us down. Oh yeah, Carolyn would like a tour of the "BIG HOUSE"
John, I'm sure we'll do another Florida "Barner's Bash" sometime in Feb. or March of 2014. I'll post the info here on the FordBarn. As of two months ago, we are actually living in the house (even though some things are not finished just yet) so, I'll be happy to give both you and Carolyn a tour. Looking forward to seeing you again. Vic
Old 09-16-2013, 02:40 PM   #14
Mart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahuna View Post
Mart,
I think you mean installing and NOT having to cut or modify the K member?
Yeah, a straight bolt in instead of a 3 speed. 32's are the worst because of the k-member.

Just dreaming.

Mart.
Old 09-16-2013, 02:58 PM   #15
Mart

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironbuttjohn View Post
Who is Miss Victoria ??
https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/member.php?u=17775

I'm good to you guys.
https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=94339

Mart.

Last edited by Mart; 09-16-2013 at 03:08 PM.
Old 09-16-2013, 03:15 PM   #16
Bassman/NZ

Miss Victoria has a kit for Model As, as do a couple of others. They are to be found on the Model A forum. I dont think they do V8 kits, but dont quote me on that. Macsspeed and Speedway do a kit for mounting the trans to the V8 engine, and either Hot Rod Works or Chassis Engineering have a kit for modifying the crossmember to accept the long tailshaft, which of course requires open drive.
Old 09-16-2013, 05:11 PM   #17
Newc

Hi all: I bought one of these PU transmissions all ready for an 8bA, and all they did was enlarge the bellhousing index hole to match [ the large transmission hole]. Newc
Newc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 05:27 PM   #18
texas webb

What is a t-170 FT?
texas webb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 05:49 PM   #19
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassman/NZ View Post
Haha.... sorry guys, I got so many replies I'll put it on here so I only have to do it once. The end result is a 3 speed like a 39 trans, except it's bullet-proof, and has full modern synchros. Oh yeah..... and an overdrive!
In front I used an adapter plate from Macsspeed (also available from other suppliers) with standard early Ford throwout assembly, but with a teflon sleeve inside the throwout bearing carrier to accomodate the smaller F150 snout. Pressure plate and pilot bearing are stock but had a custom built clutch plate made that matches the F150 spline and offsets the center to accommodate the shorter splines on the F150 input shaft. The offset is about 3/8".
At the rear, I cut off the tailshaft housing, leaving just the tailshaft housing flange. I machined it flat, then made a matching steel plate from 5/16" plate and this was drilled to both bolt to the trans and bolt to the early Ford trans mount/bearing retainer. No gaskets in a F150 trans, so black RTV silicon seals it up. The trans tailshaft has to be removed and shortened, resplined to accept the early universal joint, and drilled and tapped to bolt the universal joint, same as early Ford.
The torque tube may or may not need to be shortened, depending on your application. The shifter sits about two inches back from original, so little that it's not really noticeable. I welded a 1938 shifter to the F150 shifter stub, and when the early Ford rubber boot is slid over it, it just looks like original.
Being able to shift into 1st while moving is great, as is the great downshift from 3rd to 2nd. 4th is 27% o/d on my trans (there are three models, mine is from the 302 V8 truck) and seems to give around 1950-2000 rpms at 60mph.
Trans from 300 6 cyl trucks have either 41% or 37% o/d and different 1st gear ratios. All are 1 to 1 in 3rd.
Hope this helps. My apologies for not replying individually to PMs.
Amazing! Simply amazing!
Old 09-16-2013, 07:12 PM   #20
Bassman/NZ

I have to say that I went through a lot of grief and expense getting my conversion sorted. It appears that Miss Victoria does indeed have a kit, and if I knew then what I know now, I would happily invest in one. I have read many posts on the Model A forum about people who have Miss Victoria's kits and are very satisfied with them.