Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-20-2020, 03:35 PM   #1
cabrioletgalaxie

Exclamation 1947 convertible radio antenna

Hi guys. I am making progress on getting 'things' sorted out on my restored '47 convertible, thanks in part to you guys on FordBarn who have been helpful in steering me in the right direction as I learn more about this car. Most of my knowledge is with Model As but briefly with a '40 woodie in my past.
So I have a center of the windshield antenna that swings up and down with the interior knob. It works fine but the antenna section is just about an inch too long and hits the top of the cowl. I want to know how to take that section out, and shorten it before re installing.
I have really loosened the set screw and tried pulling on the antenna but it will not budge and I don't want to break anything. Also it is difficult to reach it from the side of the car.
Any thoughts how this short antenna comes out so I can cut it down and make it fit properly?
Thanks,
David
cabrioletgalaxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 04:29 PM   #2
supereal

Default Re: 1947 convertible radio antenna

The correct radio antenna fora '47 convertible is mounted thru a hole in the right side on the cowl. It is available from C&G )800) 266-0470 as part number 6A-18813, $89.95 The center of the windshield antenna is obsolete, and not suitable for a convertible.
supereal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 05:22 PM   #3
woodiewagon46

You should purchase the, 1941-1948 Ford book offered by the V-8 Ford Club of America. It covers all the information you need to know about your car. Including as supereal points out, the correct antenna.
woodiewagon46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 06:03 PM   #4
RKS.PA

David, notwithstanding the comments above, and yes, my '47 antenna is mounted through in the cowl, is yours mounted through the center post of you windshield?
RKS.PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 06:26 PM   #5
mrtexas

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabrioletgalaxie View Post
Hi guys. I am making progress on getting 'things' sorted out on my restored '47 convertible, thanks in part to you guys on FordBarn who have been helpful in steering me in the right direction as I learn more about this car. Most of my knowledge is with Model As but briefly with a '40 woodie in my past.
So I have a center of the windshield antenna that swings up and down with the interior knob. It works fine but the antenna section is just about an inch too long and hits the top of the cowl. I want to know how to take that section out, and shorten it before re installing.
I have really loosened the set screw and tried pulling on the antenna but it will not budge and I don't want to break anything. Also it is difficult to reach it from the side of the car.
Any thoughts how this short antenna comes out so I can cut it down and make it fit properly?
Thanks,
David
I have what you describe on my 41 woodie which is supposed to be in the center of the windshield. You should be able easily to remove the inside antenna and shorten it. I had to do it on my woodie as well. The inside antenna is spring loaded but can be removed by loosening the set screw. If I were you I'd take everything off including the knobs and shorten the antenna. Don't think the repro antennas can be used in woodies or convertibles without adjustment.
Old 08-20-2020, 09:05 PM   #6
cabrioletgalaxie

Thanks for the response thus far. I do own the 41-48 Ford book and have found it very helpful. I did notice the cowl antenna mount.
My antenna is mounted through the center strip between the windshields. It comes through the the lower portion of the chrome plated windshield hold down. The hole in that hold down is neat and has a surrounding ridge around it which looks factory correct, in other words it doesn't seem like someone just drilled a hole and stuck the antenna through it.
The hold down bail goes right over the knob and there is clearance so that one can turn the knob and raise the antenna. It seems this hold down for the convertible top was made to accommodate the antenna which leaves me a bit confused.
So the car has a great paint work and the inside garnish moulding is grained properly. I would have to make repairs to both if I took the antenna out and replaced it with one on the cowl. And then there would be the top, center hold down hole to deal with.
Any thoughts?
So I will again attempt to remove the small set screw on the outside of the antenna base and see if that antenna pulls out. I would take the whole thing off but the inside knob is stuck in place. Again, not sure I want to force it but if someone can confirm it is just a pressure fit I will try again.
Thanks.
Old 08-21-2020, 07:03 AM   #7
47Merc

You could possibly contact C & G Ford Parts or one of the other suppliers and tell them what you are doing and ask if they could send you a copy of the installation instructions so you can see how it is put together.
https://cgfordparts.com/ufolder/cgca...h&searchnumber=
47Merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 10:13 AM   #8
RKS.PA

David, I Googled "1947 Ford convertible radio antenna", and got referred to C&G's site.

They show a "through the windshield" kit for our '47's!! Wonder if this was another of Henry's "Let's use up all the left over parts"!!!. Guessing yours is factory correct and betting you'll be able to bring it back to original.

Best of luck.
Old 08-21-2020, 03:07 PM   #9
bobH

For whatever it's worth... Regarding MY 47 convertible.... It's a 'through the center of the windshield' antenna, with the inside knob to rotate it up or down. When I got my car, it came with numerous pictures of the car, before and during restoration. Some of these pictures go back MANY years, and I see that the center-mounted antenna has been there for a VERY long time. My guess is that it's been there 'forever'. And, I find no visible evidence (looking up inside) that there was ever a cowl-mounted antenna.
bobH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 07:39 PM   #10
TJ

bobh, your '47 is probably and early car with the '46 body trim and other '46 features. You are probably correct that the antenna came on the car when it was assembled.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 07:01 PM   #11
cabrioletgalaxie

So a correction here on the placement of my "47 antenna. Let me be more accurate. The antenna comes through the windshield header and through the lower portion of the convertible top hold down base. It do not go through the center strip.
In any case I still need to get the antenna (for) out and cut it down as it it too long. There is a set screw that looks as though it holds that rod in but doesn't want to budge.
Before I pull harder can anyone tell me if this is indeed correct?
Thanks.
Old 08-23-2020, 08:58 PM   #12
Gary in La.

This style antenna was a carry over from 1941-42 for convertibles and station wagons. It was one of 3 types available. The second was a side cowl mount which is the hardest to find again specific to open and station wagons. The third was the common top r/h cowl mount. Yours is a non common type as you will find most convertible center clamp bases have a rubber plug in stalled. Sorry can't help with your problem in shortening the staff.Good description in the Early Ford club '41-'48 book.
Gary in La. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 03:05 PM   #13
cabrioletgalaxie

Gary in La. Thanks for that help. Any idea why the plug was in that hole? Guessing the hole was there specifically for the antenna, IF it were purchased as an accessory.
I have the lever arm shocks like the early V8s which were on their way out in '47. So it sounds like my car is an early model.
Are their numbers any where on the car that would give me an idea of date or month of manufacture?
Old 08-25-2020, 03:13 PM   #14
supereal

The center windshield antenna will conflict with the center top clamp. That is why the stock antenna is cowl mounted.
supereal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 05:11 PM   #15
RKS.PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by supereal View Post
The center windshield antenna will conflict with the center top clamp. That is why the stock antenna is cowl mounted.
You're right Super, and that's probably why ours is cowl mounted.

But on mine, the center top clamp has a rubber plug just below the "hook". Am assuming that was to accommodate the "thru the windshield header" antenna that was used on some cars through early 1946.

There's a diagram on page A-4 (Fig A-7) in the 1941-1948 Ford Book that shows what looks to be a small knob under the fastened top center clamp. Guessing you had to get your thumb and index finger on this to put the antenna up and down! Can't imagine that was too convenient when the top is up, but hey, that's how Henry wasted no parts!!
Old 08-25-2020, 05:33 PM   #16
Teltruck

Supereal is correct! Stay safe!
Bob
Teltruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 09:17 PM   #17
cabrioletgalaxie

Thanks for the discussions. Actually that's the set up in my car. The knob is very easily turned in place with thumb and index finger as you described. Not an issue at all. The bail for the top hold down goes right over the knob as it was designed to do.
So I think my car has the correct antenna as it came from the factory. As was said, Fo Mo Co just using up parts before changing over to new ones.
But still does anyone know how this antenna rod comes out of the holder?
Old 08-27-2020, 08:06 AM   #18
RKS.PA

David, we sort of "went off the rails" in responding to your original question of how to remove the actual antenna tube. Sorry. You have the assembly off the car and you're trying to remove a section because when it's fully retracted, it's too long and hits the cowl when you turn it in the fully down position. You are worried if you try to force it apart to remove or shorten a section, you'll brake it or won't be able to get it back together properly.

At this point, during the restoration, someone may have replaced the telescoping part with one that is too long. Seems like if it were mine, I'd first make sure that it retracts absolutely as far as it will go.....force it together more?? Failing that, I'd put it in the vice and pull the "hell" out of it. Then, after I've "broken" it, I'd be calling C&G Ford parts and ask Kyle or Joe what I could do to "save my bacon"! Bottom line is you can't leave it the way it is.

Best of luck and keep us posted....Dick.
Old 08-27-2020, 08:55 AM   #19
RKS.PA

I checked C&G's site. The complete replacement antenna, except for the lead wire, is part# 21A-18813-A. That's the good news. The bad news is it's $150!!!