Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-20-2010, 09:56 AM   #1
ole_Bill

Default Carb rebuild

Do you think there is any advantage to buying a rebuilt carb from a supplier like Speedway vs having one rebuilt locally by a mechanic who enjoys a good reputation in the area? It would seem that commercial suppliers get their products from professionals who rebuild hundreds of carbs in a dedicated facility. There is also the matter of reputation companies worry about, not to mention the warranty issue. On the other hand, the local guy is slightly less expensive, is instantly accessable and also stands behind his work. Of course, none of this would matter if I could afford a couple of new Strombergs.
ole_Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 10:07 AM   #2
oldford2

Default Re: Carb rebuild

Ole Bill,
I think you have answered your own question. Local guy with a good reputation, less cost, accessable. Stick with the guys that specialize in carbs. There are several on this site. Believe me, major part vendors don't "worry about their reputation" as much as you may think.
John
oldford2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 10:38 AM   #3
BUBBAS IGNITION

Bill,

I think you answered your own question like old ford stated. If you have a good builder in the area by all means use him. Then if you have any problem hes right down the street.

I am a little confused in your post as i didnt know ( and cant find) any mention of a rebuilt carb coming from "Speedway" Only the new 9-super-7 is mentioned in all my info.???
Do they actually sell a rebuilt unit ???
BUBBAS IGNITION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 10:48 AM   #4
joel

I'd use one of the guys on the barn; you still have shipping ,but these guys have the same interest in a good job that you do and like as not they're the ones you'll ask for advice if things are not quite right with the local rebuilder. jmo
joel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 10:59 AM   #5
1952henry

A small rebuilder, like some here on the 'barn, can give better attention to detail versus some large outfit that rebuilds many for the venders. Just my .02.

Also, if you have it done locally, and have problems, you could probably take the whole car to the shop for some troubleshooting on the carburetor. Try that over the phone.
Old 12-20-2010, 11:33 AM   #6
tintoptexan

I did a little swap and pay with Ken ct for one of his re-builts. It has to be one of the best I've seen in many a moon. Unless something happens, thats where all my future re-builts will come from. Thanks for what you do for the hobby Ken. Joe McCoy
Old 12-20-2010, 12:08 PM   #7
jerry grayson

Quote:
Originally Posted by ole_Bill View Post
Do you think there is any advantage to buying a rebuilt carb from a supplier like Speedway vs having one rebuilt locally by a mechanic who enjoys a good reputation in the area? It would seem that commercial suppliers get their products from professionals who rebuild hundreds of carbs in a dedicated facility. There is also the matter of reputation companies worry about, not to mention the warranty issue. On the other hand, the local guy is slightly less expensive, is instantly accessable and also stands behind his work. Of course, none of this would matter if I could afford a couple of new Strombergs.
I would stay away from the "mass markerers" as much as possible. There are three guys here on the fordbarn who can rebuild your carburetor better than new at a very resonable price. The local guy more than likely has not seen one of our units in 20 years and does not have the fresh parts needed. JMO
jerry grayson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 12:22 PM   #8
FRANK PKNY

I run Ken ct. reguilds on two V-8's never any problems Ken stands by his work and is fair. Besides that he is old like me and we look at the world the same way. Grin lol
Frank pkny
Old 12-20-2010, 08:39 PM   #9
ken ct
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by tintoptexan View Post
I did a little swap and pay with Ken ct for one of his re-builts. It has to be one of the best I've seen in many a moon. Unless something happens, thats where all my future re-builts will come from. Thanks for what you do for the hobby Ken. Joe McCoy
Thanks for the good words .a lot depends with what you start out with. ken ct Merry xmas to you and your family. ken ct.
ken ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 08:41 PM   #10
ken ct
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRANK PKNY View Post
I run Ken ct. reguilds on two V-8's never any problems Ken stands by his work and is fair. Besides that he is old like me and we look at the world the same way. Grin lol
Frank pkny
Thanks Frank,you got snow yet,none here but cold though,merry xmas. ken ct.
Old 12-20-2010, 08:43 PM   #11
ken ct
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by tintoptexan View Post
Thank you Joe ,i answered in the wrong place sorry,i try its been pretty crazy up here lately,merry xmas. ken ct.
Old 12-20-2010, 09:03 PM   #12
JM 35 Sedan

I pretty much agree with all the other responders. The three or four guys we have right here on the Fordbarn all do good work and use good quality parts in their rebuilds. They have also helped me considerably with the purchase of good parts and tech advice when I took on the challenge of rebuilding some 97's for myself. I would not hesitate to have any of these guys rebuild a carb for me. On the other hand, I would hesitate to buy a 9 super 7 based on all the bad reports that were written on those carbs when they were first offered. JMO

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote