Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-01-2023, 11:07 AM   #41
petehoovie

Default Re: Bench testing convertible top motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc Cruzer View Post
Glad it worked for you. Any other pictures or information I can provide, feel free to let me know. 53' Mercury convertible in Italy, now you don't see that everyday! Feel free to post more pictures of your car. I know every body has seen mine but since you are new to the Barn.

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2023, 11:57 AM   #42
Sunnybob

Roy, your Mercury convertible is amazing! It reminds me so much of Lucy's car Thank you for sharing pics!

As you said 1953 Mercury are very rare in Italy. Mine was register in 1958 at Livorno, Tuscany. (still have original plate) I presume it was imported new by an American soldier as very close to Livorno there is Camp Darby base.

In those days American cars were very, very expensive here in Italy: they cost as much as a Ferrari, so they were usually bought by very rich people (actors, nobles, ecc) and usually they were loaded with all power options. First italian owner of my Mercury was Ivo Pera, a businessman who in 70s bought the ISO RIVOLTA brand (with no fortune as they closed after few years).

The car has been forgotten for decades and after year 2000 she went back on the road, but with owners who were not very smart, people who have only made temporary or tasteless repairs (like the red soft top).

Two months ago I found her in a collector's warehouse and I bought her. Now I'm trying to make her road ready again.

Roberto
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1005460_606414189380173_1188242738_n.jpg (98.7 KB, 135 views)
File Type: jpg 1069131_606414162713509_475781915_n.jpg (69.9 KB, 138 views)
File Type: jpg IMG-20230411-WA0014.jpg (70.3 KB, 134 views)
File Type: jpg IMG-20230411-WA0016.jpg (58.1 KB, 136 views)
Sunnybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2023, 12:14 PM   #43
petehoovie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnybob View Post
Roy, your Mercury convertible is amazing! It reminds me so much of Lucy's car Thank you for sharing pics!

As you said 1953 Mercury are very rare in Italy. Mine was register in 1958 at Livorno, Tuscany. (still have original plate) I presume it was imported new by an American soldier as very close to Livorno there is Camp Darby base.

In those days American cars were very, very expensive here in Italy: they cost as much as a Ferrari, so they were usually bought by very rich people (actors, nobles, ecc) and usually they were loaded with all power options. First italian owner of my Mercury was Ivo Pera, a businessman who in 70s bought the ISO RIVOLTA brand (with no fortune as they closed after few years).

The car has been forgotten for decades and after year 2000 she went back on the road, but with owners who were not very smart, people who have only made temporary or tasteless repairs (like the red soft top).

Two months ago I found her in a collector's warehouse and I bought her. Now I'm trying to make her road ready again.

Roberto

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2023, 02:50 PM   #44
Merc Cruzer

Speaking of the Lucy car (The long Long Trailer) I did a my own version of that.

What a great history for your car. The body appears to be in great shape. It is the first one I have seen in Banff Blue.

Your tail lights appear to have been modified. I have attached a few pictures of mine to include the complete light, without the frame and the frame separately.These are still available on e-bay, if you want them. I have modified mine with the addition of the blue dot.

What options does your car have: power windows, power seat (2 way or 4 way), power steering, power brakes? Any modification to the engine?

What color is your interior?

Let me knwo if I can help you find any parts. I am retired, so I have the time.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0889 (2).jpg (34.1 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0009 (2).jpg (27.5 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0011 (2).jpg (34.4 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN8466.jpg (73.5 KB, 4 views)

Last edited by Merc Cruzer; 06-01-2023 at 04:48 PM.
Merc Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2023, 05:03 PM   #45
tubman

That car looks "un-Mercury-like" to me in several aspects. I remember being in Winnipeg in 1957 and seeing contemporary Plymouths with Dodge front sheetmetal (we called them "Plodges"). This looks like a Ford with Mercury front sheet metal. Could this be made in Canada?

The taillights aren't standard Merc, either.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2023, 05:52 PM   #46
Merc Cruzer

Matches mine, all except the tail light lenses. He would probably like to know where and when it was built.

Roberto,

If you want to decode your vin tag in the drivers door jamb, this is what you will need:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0017 (2).jpg (39.2 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0018 (2).jpg (50.3 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0019 (2).jpg (46.7 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg 215.jpg (59.4 KB, 2 views)
Old 06-02-2023, 07:57 AM   #47
Sunnybob

Unfortunally I miss the towing hitch to try to make a Lucy's Monterey with another colour

About the tail lights. Yes they are not original as they are the rear lights of Alfa Romeo Giulietta Berlina 2nd and 3rd series (from '59 to '63)

https://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alfa_R...ulietta_(1955)

In 1959 in Italy was issued a new road code laws and red turn signal were not permitted, so almost all American cars were adapted with lights of European production. The lateral repeater on the front fenders also became mandatory (you can see it on mine).

Today I could restore the correct US lighting (it's not allowed but it's tolerated), but I'm not sure I would because the modification made at the end of the 50s is in fact part of the vehicle's history. Still thinking about this...

The car has original 255 flathead with Merc-o-matic transmission, is still very solid (no rust under). Was equipped with power windows, power top, power seat (don't know if 4 or 6 way) as it has been disconnected and originale switch went lost. Unfortunally no power steering and no power brakes. Has also heater, radio and clock. Interior is blue and white.

I enclose some more pics (interior and vin number). I already checked the codes before buying and banff blues is correct.

I haven't drive her yet. When I bought she was sleeping from 2015... Brakes were gone, engine started but runs bad (now is running fine after changing spark plugs, cable, points, ecc). Fuel pump leaks, tank was rusty, the previous owner had also connected the battery backwards (negative to ground) causing a problem with the generator and voltage regulator.
At the shop where is now they are repairing all things are bad, but as she is not a daily driver car they worked on it when the have extra time... And everything must be ordered in the USA with a shipping delay of usually 3 weeks.

Last edited by Sunnybob; 06-02-2023 at 08:02 AM. Reason: wrong link
Old 06-02-2023, 09:35 AM   #48
Merc Cruzer

The history, per your vin plate codes:

#53ME71295M#:

the car was built in 1953 at the ME ( Metuchen, NJ plant) 71295 (serial identification number) M (Mercury)

BG76B ( Six Passanger Monterey Convertible)

07369-101-316-115:

07 - Paint code: Banff Blue
369 - Trim scheme: (Blue and Ivory Vinyl)
101 - Convertible top code: (Black-Black binding)
31G - (built on July 31st) it was a Friday
115 - (it was the 115 car built on the assembly line that day)

Last edited by Merc Cruzer; 06-02-2023 at 10:52 AM.
Old 06-02-2023, 10:06 AM   #49
Merc Cruzer

No tailor hitch on my car, it was just a photo opp, when the trailer was parked in a local lot, for sale.

Did the original air cleaner come with your car?

When I had my interior completely redone last year, (my inter code is 372 (Yellow and Black leather)), we couldn't find an American suppler for the yellow leather. We wound up getting the leather (black and yellow) from DANI, through their outlet in NY:

ITALY

DANI S.p.A.
Head Office & Automotive Division
Z.I. Via Della Concia, 186
36071 Arzignano (VI) – ITALY
Tel. +39 0444 454111
Fax +39 0444 670864
[email protected]

Small world!

If you are looking for a good convertible top mfg, since they have the original patterns, I would recommend:

http://www.aro2000.com/

The top pictures were taken, before the sun visors were finished with the correct piping.

As to the power seats. If you have one switch on the front of the seat, it is a 2 way seat (forward and back - one motor). If you have two switches on the front of the seat, it is a 4 way seat, one switch moves it forward and back and the other mover is up and down (two motors).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0025 (4).jpg (85.5 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg Seats 13.jpg (67.9 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg Seats 16.jpg (54.4 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0025.jpg (85.3 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0029.jpg (45.2 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0030.jpg (55.0 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0031.jpg (61.7 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN8483.jpg (49.6 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN8486.jpg (50.2 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN9202.jpg (111.2 KB, 6 views)

Last edited by Merc Cruzer; 06-02-2023 at 11:10 AM.
Old 06-03-2023, 08:35 AM   #50
Sunnybob

I really love your yellow Monterey, she shines like the day it left the assembly lane!

Happy to know you find the leather by an italian supplier, we have very good craftmen here in Italy. My top, for example, is very good made, unfortunally it is wrong colour, but this is a shame of the previous owner.

I see you have also power steering and power brake. Power brake unit seems a treadle vac, as I had one in a 57 Mercury Commuter I had some years ago. Usually I dont's miss power brakes too much, but I really would like to add power steering.. There are some kits out of there, I will check them when the car will be road ready. There is so much work to do till that day.

Sometimes seems the car founded here came from Cuba. No spare parts and a lot fantasy. You alredy saw alfa tail lights but there are lots of adapted spare parts. Original air cleaner went lost and Master cylinder come from a Fiat Multipla

Anyway.. The car is sound, very rare here (probably the only one convertible) so she deserves to be repaired at the best I can.

Ciao

Roberto
Old 06-03-2023, 09:22 AM   #51
Merc Cruzer

Roberto,

Sent you an e-mail with a video, so you could take a ride with me. (I have posted it previously on the Ford Barn). If you need pictures of anything on your car, feel free to contact me. When I got mine it was in a 100 boxes, so I have touched every inch of the car at some point. I have the chassis and body parts books along with the service manuals for the car and accessories for 53'.

Roy Lange
Conifer, CO
(303) 838-2028
[email protected]

Roberto,

Ti ho inviato un'e-mail con un video, in modo da poter fare un giro con me. (L'ho pubblicato in precedenza sul fienile Ford). Se hai bisogno di foto di qualcosa sulla tua auto, sentiti libero di contattarmi. Quando ho ottenuto il mio era in 100 scatole, quindi ho toccato ogni centimetro della macchina ad un certo punto. Ho i libri di telaio e parti del corpo insieme ai manuali di servizio per l'auto e gli accessori per 53 '.

Roy Lange
Conifer, CO
(303) 838-2028
[email protected]
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN9989.jpg (42.5 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN9990.jpg (42.3 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN9991.jpg (37.1 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN9992.jpg (35.4 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN9994.jpg (27.8 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN9995.jpg (37.2 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN9996.jpg (43.2 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN9997.jpg (45.5 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN9993.jpg (35.1 KB, 1 views)

Last edited by Merc Cruzer; 06-03-2023 at 10:17 AM.
Old 06-03-2023, 11:56 AM   #52
Sunnybob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc Cruzer View Post
Roberto,

Sent you an e-mail with a video, so you could take a ride with me. (I have posted it previously on the Ford Barn). If you need pictures of anything on your car, feel free to contact me. When I got mine it was in a 100 boxes, so I have touched every inch of the car at some point. I have the chassis and body parts books along with the service manuals for the car and accessories for 53'.

Roy Lange
Conifer, CO
(303) 838-2028
[email protected]

Roberto,

Ti ho inviato un'e-mail con un video, in modo da poter fare un giro con me. (L'ho pubblicato in precedenza sul fienile Ford). Se hai bisogno di foto di qualcosa sulla tua auto, sentiti libero di contattarmi. Quando ho ottenuto il mio era in 100 scatole, quindi ho toccato ogni centimetro della macchina ad un certo punto. Ho i libri di telaio e parti del corpo insieme ai manuali di servizio per l'auto e gli accessori per 53 '.

Roy Lange
Conifer, CO
(303) 838-2028
[email protected]

Roy, your italian is better than my english!! You wrote in almost perfect italian

I will sure contact you as you know this car better than who build it ;-) I'm going to write you an email as I did not received your video. Something went wrong. Thank you so much

Ciao

Roberto
Old 06-04-2023, 08:21 AM   #53
Merc Cruzer

Roberto,

Thank to, I will look forward to any questions you might have.

Roy

Roberto,

Grazie, non vedo l'ora di avere qualsiasi domanda tu possa avere.

Roy
Old 06-06-2023, 11:25 AM   #54
Sunnybob

Hi Roy, here the first question: is the driver side cable (the cable that goes from top motor to driver side screw jack) available as part? Do you know exact name and part number?

We managed to make the motor working but that cable is gone...

2nd question, as driver side jack screw is crooked, do you know if available? We could manage to repair it, but if a more nice one is available it's would be better

Thank you. Ciao!

Roberto
Old 06-07-2023, 08:45 PM   #55
Merc Cruzer

Roberto,

Cables:

I have never come across a set of these in 13 years. So if you can repair it, that might be your only option.

Shaft Assembly (Top Lift Drive):

R.H. - length- 11 5/8" - BA7650612-A
L.H. - length - 34 1/4" - BA7650613-A

The Ford numbers for the same cables are:
BF 7650600-E
BF 7650601-E

Lift Assembly (Folding Top) (screw jacks)

In theory they are are/were available, but you will only find them on e-bay or at a swap meet. They do show up from time to time on e-bay is your are patient. If you are careful, the screws can be straightened ( I know because when I got my car both were bent). I recommend a steel "V" block and a press. The Part numbers of the two screw jacks are:

R.H. - BA7650600-A
L.H. - BA7650601-A

Another option is to convert to hydraulic, as Ford/Mercury did in 54 '. Then you exchange the electric motor with a pump and screw jack with hydraulic ram. There are companies that sell complete conversions.

https://www.hydroe.com/convertible-t...ford-sunliner/

https://www.hydroe.com/convertible-m...p-6-volt-mp-6/

https://www.hydroe.com/yoke-for-top-...949-1954-ford/

https://www.hydroe.com/top-hose-set/

Roberto,

Cavi:

Non mi sono mai imbattuto in una serie di questi in 13 anni. Quindi, se riesci a ripararlo, questa potrebbe essere la tua unica opzione.

Gruppo dell'albero (azionamento a sollevamento superiore):

R.H. - Lunghezza- 11 5/8 " - BA7650612 -A
L.H. - Lunghezza - 34 1/4 " - BA7650613 -A

I numeri Ford per gli stessi cavi sono:
BF 7650600-E
BF 7650601-E

Assemblaggio di sollevamento (superiore pieghevole) (vite)

In teoria sono/erano disponibili, ma li troverai solo su e-bay o durante un incontro di scambio. Si presentano di tanto in tanto su e-bay è il tuo paziente. Se stai attento, le viti possono essere raddrizzate (lo so perché quando ho avuto la mia auto erano entrambi piegati). Consiglio un blocco "V" in acciaio e una stampa. I numeri di parte dei due viti sono:

R.H. - BA7650600 -A
L.H. - BA7650601 -A

Un'altra opzione è diventare idrolica, come ha fatto Ford/Mercury in 54 '. Quindi si scambia il motore elettrico con un motore della pompa e le prese a vite con arieti idrolici. Ci sono aziende che vendono la conversione completa.

https://www.hydroe.com/convertible-t...ford-sunliner/

https://www.hydroe.com/convertible-m...p-6-volt-mp-6/

https://www.hydroe.com/yoke-for-top-...949-1954-ford/

https://www.hydroe.com/top-hose-set/
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0007 (2).jpg (80.5 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0008 (2).jpg (78.7 KB, 2 views)

Last edited by Merc Cruzer; 06-08-2023 at 06:18 AM.
Old 06-08-2023, 08:55 AM   #56
Sunnybob

Roy, thank you. I used your part numbers
to set alert on ebay. So fingers crossed!

Another question about the color of the rims. At the factory, were they painted with the same colour of the body or were they red? I saw so many pics with them red that I'm confused. And the Hubcaps? Were they always painted red?

Ciao

Roberto
Old 06-08-2023, 11:11 AM   #57
Merc Cruzer

Roberto,

The wheels were Vermilion Red. Now as to how they were painted. When the wheels came into the factory they were all Black. In a cost saving measure (something old Henry was known for) they were only painted on the side of the rim facing out. To be correct, you will need to spray through the rim holes so over spray gets on the back.

As to the color of the hubcaps (either the full caps or the dog dish), they too were sprayed red. I use the One Shot paint (sign painters paint): 1/4 Pint 1 Shot 108L MAROON Paint Lettering Enamel Pinstriping One Shot.

If you are planing on running bias ply tires, there should be no issue with your full size hubcaps. But is you are planing on running radials, the hubcaps will come, usually with in a few miles, because the wheels will flex. That is why I am using the Dog Dish hubcaps on my car. These were factory caps and usually found on the "Low End " models and on station wagons. They will stay on the wheels.

Roberto,

Le ruote erano rosse da vermilion. Ora su come sono stati dipinti. Quando le ruote entrarono in fabbrica erano tutte nere. In una misura di risparmio sui costi (qualcosa per cui era noto qualcosa di vecchio) furono dipinti solo sul lato del bordo rivolto verso l'esterno. Per essere corretti, dovrai spruzzare attraverso i fori del bordo in modo che lo spray si metta sul retro.

Per quanto riguarda il colore dei topi dei mozzi (o i tappi completi o il piatto del cane), anche loro sono stati spruzzati in rosso. Uso la vernice a un colpo (vernice per pittori di segni): 1/4 pinta 1 scatto 108L Maroon Paint Lettering Smalping Pinstriping One Shot .

Se si prevede di eseguire pneumatici di pregiudizi, non ci dovrebbero essere problemi con i topi hub a grandezza naturale. Ma stai pianificando di correre radiali, i topi dei hub arriveranno, di solito con poche miglia, perché le ruote si fletteranno. Questo è il motivo per cui sto usando i topi dei percorsi per cani sulla mia auto. Questi erano tappi di fabbrica e di solito si trovano sui modelli "di fascia bassa" e sui carri della stazione. Rimarranno sulle ruote.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg one shot.jpg (27.5 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0012 (2).jpg (122.5 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN9657 (2).jpg (46.7 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0014 (2).jpg (69.8 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0016 (2).jpg (90.3 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN5532.jpg (103.2 KB, 3 views)

Last edited by Merc Cruzer; 06-08-2023 at 11:33 AM.
Old 06-08-2023, 11:22 AM   #58
Sunnybob

Roy, thank you again. My car has radials on and now I understand why they make an hole in each hubcaps to fix them with a nut!
Old 06-08-2023, 12:03 PM   #59
Sunnybob

Roy, just checked on the net about the dog dish hubcaps and I presume they are quite rare as I can't find any for sale...
Old 06-08-2023, 01:00 PM   #60
Merc Cruzer

Found one and it is over priced. They will usually come up under 54' or 55' Mercury, and will have a White back ground, behind the head, so you will have to paint them. Keep searching, it may take a while. You will also need the trim rings (you can see them in the pictures).

Trovato uno ed è troppo prezzo. Di solito arriveranno meno di 54 'o 55' Mercurio e avranno una parte posteriore bianca, alla testa, quindi dovrai dipingerli. Continua a cercare, potrebbe richiedere un po 'di tempo. Avrai anche bisogno degli anelli di rivestimento (puoi vederli nelle immagini).

https://www.ebay.com/itm/11582542418...Bk9SR7TIrMKTYg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN5138.jpg (64.0 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0096.jpg (41.6 KB, 4 views)

Last edited by Merc Cruzer; 06-08-2023 at 05:05 PM.