Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-24-2023, 11:32 AM   #1
cvicky

Default starter drive

i'm putting Y block back in my car , when i turn crank with a wrench i hear starter is engaged , so i hooked up battery and cranked motor and drive stays in flywheel
will it kick out when i start motor or is there something wrong
thx
cvicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2023, 01:09 PM   #2
fordyford

Default Re: starter drive

That is how it is supposed to work. When the engine starts it will spin the starter out of engagement.
fordyford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2023, 01:55 PM   #3
dmsfrr

It's normal so far.
When I first got the starter back in my '55 the bendix gear was in position to engage with the torque converter ring gear teeth. As shown in example photo #1 below.

First time the engine started the bendix drive fixed itself and went back to the disengaged (outer end of the shaft) position. Example photo 2

Attached Images
File Type: jpg starter c2.jpg (40.1 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg starter, image.jpg (63.6 KB, 17 views)

Last edited by dmsfrr; 05-25-2023 at 10:02 PM. Reason: corrected a poor choice of words & added 2 photos
dmsfrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2023, 04:30 PM   #4
cvicky

i wish i would of asked before taking it all apart thx
cvicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2023, 07:21 PM   #5
Daves55Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmsfrr View Post
It's normal so far.
When I got the 292 back in my '55 the starter was engaged.
First time it started the starter drive fixed itself.
It would be better to say that the starter drive gear is normally engaged in the flywheel ring-gear when the engine is not running. So when you turn the key to start the car, the starter drive is engaged, but once the engine starts and runs, the starter drive moves back out of the way and becomes disengaged with the ring-gear so that the starter motor shaft is rotating 60mph as you drive down the highway. The starter shaft bearings would last about 5 minutes if the drive gear was engaged with ring-gear while engine is running.
Daves55Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2023, 07:13 PM   #6
RKS.PA

Dave, I didn't know the starter drive gear is engaged in the ring gear when the engine isn't running. I thought it was normally back on the shaft toward the starter motor and only was thrust out to the ring gear when the starter is energized. When I put a new bendix on my '56, I was messing with it on the bench and got the gear out on the end of the shaft. I thought I had really screwed up!! Went to Youtube and saw a clip on running (spinning) the bendix on a wire wheel bench grinder and that put my bendix back where it was supposed to be for installation.
RKS.PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2023, 09:55 PM   #7
dmsfrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daves55Sedan View Post
It would be better to say that the starter drive gear is normally engaged in the flywheel ring-gear when the engine is not running. So when you turn the key to start the car, the starter drive is engaged, but once the engine starts and runs, the starter drive moves back out of the way and becomes disengaged with the ring-gear so that the starter motor shaft is rotating 60mph as you drive down the highway. The starter shaft bearings would last about 5 minutes if the drive gear was engaged with ring-gear while engine is running.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RKS.PA View Post
Dave, I didn't know the starter drive gear is engaged in the ring gear when the engine isn't running. I thought it was normally back on the shaft toward the starter motor and only was thrust out to the ring gear when the starter is energized. When I put a new bendix on my '56, I was messing with it on the bench and got the gear out on the end of the shaft. I thought I had really screwed up!! Went to Youtube and saw a clip on running (spinning) the bendix on a wire wheel bench grinder and that put my bendix back where it was supposed to be for installation.
If my comment started this I apologize. I was not at all clear with my initial comment and have (hopefully) edited it for increased clarity.
dmsfrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2023, 10:44 PM   #8
Daves55Sedan

dmsfrr, you originally said the same thing I said, but I just said it differently, hopefully adding a few clarifications.
Now lets look at the cut-away view of the starter drive in fig 23 on page 244 of the '56 Ford car shop manual. You can clearly see the lock pin and detent which hold the gear OUT (or engaged with the ring gear). The lock pins do not engage until the ring gear is rotating around 300 RPM's, then they disengage, allowing the starter drive gear to worm its way toward the back (disengaging it from the flywheel).
Once the flywheel gets going over 300 RPM, the locks pull away from the detent and the ring gear rotates the starter drive gear back (away from the flywheel).
dmsfrr photo shows starter drive in it's normal position with engine not running.
Old 05-28-2023, 07:44 AM   #9
smtichy

Hi All,
Somewhat related to these post, I have a question on how to troubleshoot a bendix that isn't engaging. I have a 55 Fairlane, 292, manual transmission, 6v system. I've never had starter issues with this car, and the starter is one of the few things I haven't touched. Yesterday the car was starting and running well. But this morning when I went to start it the starter motor just spun and didn't engage with the flywheel. I hooked up a fresh battery, and no luck. Rolled it down the hill to push start it, drove it home, and once in the garage shut it off, and tried to re-start but it wouldn't engage.

Update: in the post since it is fresh ... I gave it another try, letting the starter spin for 10 seconds and it then engaged.

Anyone out there have experience with this issue, and what is the best way to troubleshoot it before taking the starter out?

'55 Sunliner - 292 V8, 3 speed man. w/ OD
ČKMAA - Český klub majitelů amerických automobilů

Last edited by smtichy; 05-28-2023 at 10:55 AM.
smtichy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2023, 08:29 AM   #10
ventport

You may have a broken spring on the starter drive. Pull the starter out and have a look see.
ventport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2023, 10:30 PM   #11
Daves55Sedan

No matter what the reason, I don't think you have a choice other than to remove the starter.
I would begin by removing starter drive from the starter shaft and sloshing it around in a can of solvent (gasoline or mineral spirits) to free it up. Then see if the gear will twirl around to the "engaged" position. Do not oil the drive before re-installation. Oil will just gum it up again and cause it to stick.
Inspect that big spring at the back and see if it is cracked or broken. A new starter drive will be required unless you can cannibalize a junk one.
Old 05-29-2023, 03:31 PM   #12
smtichy

You're right Dave,
I pulled the starter, came out easily, and I found that in the starter drive mechanism there is a thin washer or disc spring that holds tension on the Folo-Thru device. Unfortunately this washer split in half.

'55 Sunliner - 292 V8, 3 speed man. w/ OD
ČKMAA - Český klub majitelů amerických automobilů
smtichy is offline   Reply With Quote