Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-25-2010, 10:59 AM   #1
HOTROD_WILLIE

Default Early V-8 Show in Charlotte Questions

I am not a member of the Early V-8 Club. Can still go to the show as spectator. Is there going to be alot of cars there. Thanks again for all the help.
HOTROD_WILLIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 11:18 AM   #2
FL&WVMIKE

Default Re: Early V-8 Show in Charlotte Questions

HOT ROD WILLIE .....................
I think that anybody can go as a spectator and go to the flea market. I don't think that you will have any problems.
MIKE
FL&WVMIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 03:29 PM   #3
KiWinUS

swap meet was over at 12 today , only 2 vendors left & 1 was our own Ken ct.
Cheers
Tp
KiWinUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 08:53 PM   #4
TJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOTROD_WILLIE View Post
I am not a member of the Early V-8 Club. Can still go to the show as spectator. Is there going to be alot of cars there. Thanks again for all the help.
Why wouldn't you want to join the V-8 Club and get the V-8 Times magazine to boot? I never understood this mentality. You want to go to the V-8 functions and enjoy the cars/swap meet, but you do not want to support the V-8 Club. I hate to say it but the world has too many "freeloaders".
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 09:51 PM   #5
Hamtown Al

Er, TJ, lighten up. The guy didn't say anything negative about Early Ford V-8 Club. Heck, he might have joined today for all we know. You probably hadn't sent him an invitation previously. I hadn't either. How did we miss him? We're both seem to be falling down of the job of promoting fun with old Fords. Let's not get in a hurry to thow stones... we might chip the paint!
Hamtown Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 11:05 PM   #6
TJ

Al, you may be right. After working on several meets and running into people who are looking for "freebies" without supporting the club, I sometimes get a little frustrated. Unfortunately that frustration came out in my comments.
Old 06-26-2010, 01:46 PM   #7
Hamtown Al

TJ, we're all good. Always will be. Frustration gets most of us at least once in awhile. Our club has been around since 1974 and we encourage visitors and don't care about membership so much as getting to know us pretty well and make sure we'll suit them. The fellowship and fun is our goal. We actually feel pretty special that more than one "Lone Wolf" always feels welcome at one of our meetings. The bigger the local network, be better the chance to learn from others and also find an occasional deal on a needed part. It works for us and our pals. Enjoy the sport while we can. Al
Hamtown Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 12:12 AM   #8
maud

I agree with Al. One problem with the V-8 Club is when you join a local club, you must also join the national club and pay dues for each. A couple of years ago a local V-8 club (about 75 miles from me) were having a meet on sat and on sunday they were going to cruise to a lake and have a picnic. I called them and stated I had to work sat and asked if we could drive our '34 to the picnic. They said if you're not registered for the weekend meet, you cannot come to the picnic. I was planning to join their club that day, but after the phone call I changed my mind.
maud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 04:50 AM   #9
Old Redneck

Send a message via AIM to Old Redneck Send a message via Yahoo to Old Redneck

A good way to get members is invite them to club get togethers fuctions and show them what a good time they will have.
Old Redneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 06:26 AM   #10
Hoop

Let's look at what Hot Rod Willie ACTUALLY said.

!. "I am not a member of the Early V-8 Club."

2. "Can (I) still go to the show as (a) spectator."

3. "Is there going to be alot of cars there."

4. "Thanks again for all the help."

Seems the man just wants to go look at some cars ... right?

Instead there's, "I never understood this mentality" (LOOKING AT CARS?????) and it's suggested he's a "freeloader."

Is the Early V-8 Club charging admission? ... or is it open to the public?

Does Willie intend to sneak in? His name is not "Street Rod Willie" or "R#t Rod Willie" so maybe his automotive intentions are flathead pure.

TJ, I've been involved in quite a number of large car "shows." The one I'm still involved with charges $50 per ticket. (... come on, breath for me. Attaboy.) Would you like to talk about "looking for freebies?" We ask for ... and GET a bunch of "freebies" from the community, and I'll bet most show organizers do the same thing. I get tractors, gators, mules, fire extinguishers, etc ... all freebies. We also turn hundreds of thousands of dollars directly back into the community for support to several charitable organizations.

I routinely tell folks who say that they cannot afford the cost of a ticket to the show field to attend anyhow. There are plenty of opportunities to see tons of cars ... and if these "freeloaders" find the right spot, they can watch them all enter and leave the show field or preview the auction cars. Plenty of folks do exactly that, and they are welcome.

Below is a photo of some unknown freeloader in my truck. Gawd, it frustrates me!

Old 06-28-2010, 09:29 AM   #11
TJ

Whoa Hoop, I responded to Al and admitted that I spoke too soon without having the all the facts about "Willie". Now let me explain how the club works.The Early Ford V-8 Club usually puts on 3 events a year in different parts of the country. In order to participate in those events you must be a club member. Even swap meet vendors must be club members and register for the event. This is required by the club's insurance company and the club by-laws.

The car show itself(concourse) is FREE to spectators. Not too many FREE car shows these days, but this one has been FREE since the inception of the club. The swap meet is also FREE to spectators. The other activities(tours , BBQ's, banquets,etc are only available to club members/registered participants). When I talked about "freeloaders" I should have been more definitive. It's those people who want to attend the other activities without paying for them and joining the club.

The yearly dues to join the V-8 Club are not expensive. You can join for $10 and get a club roster and a membership card. If you want to join and get 6 issues of the V-8 Times magazine it's $35 . I doubt that you will find any other national club that will allow you to join for $10. You must be a national member to join a regional group. Since the club insurance covers many local events(tours, swap meets.etc) that is the reason you must be a club member to participate in these events.

Tell me if you can join Goodguys, NSRA, or any other organization for $10. You can't even walk through the gate for $10. You certainly won't get a free car show or free swap meet from those organizations.

Since you do charitable car shows( and I applaud you for those activities) do you let people in for free? With any event there are expenses(insurance, facility fees,etc) and somehow those must be paid. They are paid through entry fees, registration fees, or by joining an organization, etc. "There ain't no free lunch".

BTW, I don't consider the little guy in your truck a "freeloader". I'm not sure why you would even put him in that category.
Old 06-28-2010, 09:47 AM   #12
HOTROD_WILLIE

Freeloader. You don't know me. I have several early V-8 car I am working on. I would be glad to pay to see the cars. I did not won't to make a wasted trip to Charlotte. I am member of AACA, Tarheel'Ts, and Goodguy. The only reason have not join was because have thought much of it.
Old 06-28-2010, 10:27 AM   #13
Vic Piano

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOTROD_WILLIE View Post
Freeloader. You don't know me. I have several early V-8 car I am working on. I would be glad to pay to see the cars. I did not won't to make a wasted trip to Charlotte. I am member of AACA, Tarheel'Ts, and Goodguy. The only reason have not join was because have thought much of it.
I was a member of the EFV8 Club for over 30 years and the newsletter editor for the LIRG for almost 10 years. For the most part, the club is an excellent organization however, several years ago I opted not to re-up my membership (for a number of reasons that I won't go into here). I still maintain my membership in the Road Race Lincoln Register and the Studebaker Drivers Club and need to renew my membership in the Lincoln Zephyr Owners Club. One thing to remember, all car clubs are an extension of the hobby and should be treated as such. When it stops being fun... Move on.
Old 06-28-2010, 10:42 AM   #14
chopnchaneled

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ View Post
Why wouldn't you want to join the V-8 Club and get the V-8 Times magazine to boot? I never understood this mentality. You want to go to the V-8 functions and enjoy the cars/swap meet, but you do not want to support the V-8 Club. I hate to say it but the world has too many "freeloaders".
Your attitude is the very reason i am no longer a member nor
will ever be again, its almost like your looking down your nose at others.

When i was in your club i worked events and got red faced more than once upon hearing people like yourself, be a snob to someone who just tried to ask a simple question about what was going on and how they
might get involved. I watched those people walk away shaking their heads.

"Just food for thought"
chopnchaneled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 11:03 AM   #15
Hoop

"BTW, I don't consider the little guy in your truck a "freeloader". I'm not sure why you would even put him in that category."

TJ, he's a freeloader!!! I pay for insurance, registration, gas, oil, parts, etc. for my truck ... AND HE EXPECTS TO SIT IN IT FOR FREE!!

You can see it in his eyes. He's a moocher.

Old 06-28-2010, 11:51 AM   #16
TJ

chopnchaneled,sorry you had a bad experience. My comments about "freeloaders" concerned people looking for something for nothing. I have not been rude to new members. looked down my nose at them, or failed to help with a problem if I have the answer. I put on a couple of tours a year(this year I'm doing three). Everyone is welcome on the tour as long as they are a national member. Frankly I don't care what they drive(modern, hotrod, stocker,etc) as long as they are a member. People can join, not join, or quit the club, that's why we live in the USA. It's called freedom of choice.

Hoop, that little guy looks like a good kind of "freeloader". He'd be welcome in my garage anytime.
Old 06-28-2010, 12:21 PM   #17
HOTROD_WILLIE

TJ The problem is you Judge me before you knew who I was. You don't know the cars I own or were I work. I ask a question in very respectful way. This is given the V-8 club a bad rap. I hope we can learn from this. Next time you are at show or forum don't be so judgemental.
Old 06-28-2010, 01:44 PM   #18
Frank Miller

Amazing how things get off topic. The show was at the Speedway and I think you needed a convention badge to get in or some kind of credentials to allow you in the pit area. You also had to sign a waiver sheet in case of accident. Standard on any race pit area where you may be injured.
Some have raised the question about charging next year in Saratoga. I am not sure how it would work. If you are a member and are attending you should be registering. No one will throw you out for not doing it but if you belong to the club you should support its functions. The amount of time and effort the regional puts into this is amazing.
Frank Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 02:09 PM   #19
Tom/SC

Frank, you are right about needing a badge in order to enter the speedway. Also a good old Ford buddie of mine from Salisbury showed up at the car I was showing in the concourse. He only had to sign the waiver to enter the area. Tom
Tom/SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 03:50 PM   #20
Cecil/WV

Same with a friend of mine from Charlotte. He just signed a waiver and was in.
Cecil/WV is offline   Reply With Quote