Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-17-2019, 07:46 AM   #1
chrs1961815

Default Prohibition and Canadian A's

Since I am interested in history, I thought I would share this with you guys:

Have any of you ever heard of Canadian Cars being laced with alcohol while being brought to the United States during prohibition? It is just a story I heard, buy it is definetely interesting. For some background, Canada had a national prohibition from 1918 to 1920, with some provinces and towns having localized prohibition before and after that. It is plausible because border checks back then weren't like they are today. I have heard that cases of alcohol were tied to axles, thrown into trunks, or hidden under the seat in the curtain pan. Again, I don't know if any of this is true, just thought it would be a good conversation.
Old 05-17-2019, 07:54 AM   #2
77Birdman

Default Re: Prohibition and Canadian A's

Sounds like folk lore to me, but who knows, anything is plausible.
77Birdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 09:46 AM   #3
katy

Have you read the book: "Booze: When Whiskey Ruled the West"?
It's about prohibition in Canada.
Old 05-17-2019, 11:15 AM   #4
ursus

During the 1920's a family member was quite busy hauling whiskey from Alberta into Montana. The residents of Butte and Missoula were very thirsty back then. He preferred large sedans and avoided the attention of law enforcement by staying at farms or ranches along his route. With his kind of cargo he was always a welcome guest and was also kept informed of any risks along the way. The Canadian constabulary was less than interested in his activities and there were plenty of unmanned border crossings, especially where private property abutted the border. Uncle Holger always said that Prohibition was the best time of his life, "Ja sure, you betcha"!
ursus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 12:35 PM   #5
fundytides

There is a family story about a cousin who used to run alcohol here in Canada to the US border. He and one of the local RCMP officers had a long relationship, each trying to outsmart the other. One night he was stopped by his "Mountie" friend. Before he got out of the car, he reached into the backseat and uncapped and spilled a bottle of alcohol. As he got out of the car, he said to the officer. "Jeez, you got me this time, Can you give me a cigarette to settle my nerves?" The officer handed him a cigarette which he put in his mouth with shaking hands. He then begged a match as well to light the cigarette. He lit the match, threw it in the open back window of the car and jumped for the ditch taking the officer with him. They both survived but the car and the evidence didn't. Don't know how much of this is fact but I knew both these guys when I was a kid and the story is very believable. The ironic thing is, the cousin never smoked or drank.
fundytides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 01:31 PM   #6
chrs1961815

Quote:
Originally Posted by katy View Post
Have you read the book: "Booze: When Whiskey Ruled the West"?
It's about prohibition in Canada.
No I have not.
Old 05-17-2019, 04:18 PM   #7
77Birdman

I misunderstood your original post. I thought you meant it was smuggled by way of new cars being transported into the states. I will retract my original statement and add that I think the idea is very plausible. Interestingly enough my grandmother was a bootlegger and from what I understand she had quite a still and plenty of business.
77Birdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 11:31 PM   #8
chrs1961815

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77Birdman View Post
I misunderstood your original post. I thought you meant it was smuggled by way of new cars being transported into the states. I will retract my original statement and add that I think the idea is very plausible. Interestingly enough my grandmother was a bootlegger and from what I understand she had quite a still and plenty of business.
Well, I kind of meant both. My wife's great grandfather ran the shores of Lake Michigan here in Northeast Ilinois and ran into Capone many times
Old 05-19-2019, 09:37 AM   #9
ericr

here in Ohio, a long-deceased friend of mine claimed his uncle would drive up to Detroit and cross into Canada to bring back bottles of booze, claiming that the Uncle had jerry-rigged upholstery panels in a Model A Roadster to hide them.
ericr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 06:22 PM   #10
JoeCB

Yes, Detroit was a hot spot for Canadian alcohol "importation". With Windsor, Ontario Canada just across the Detroit River every imaginable scheme was employed. Running the river in boats, driving across the frozen river even a attempt to lay a pipe line. I'm quite sure that many cars and trucks were rigged in creative ways to avoid detection of contraband at the border. Prior to the 9 -11 terror attack, border crossing was a simple routine deal here, the agent would ask "citizen of the US" .. yes , just go ahead. No paper work required. The temptation for dry US folks was great, just upriver from Windsor was Walkerville, Ontario the home of the huge Hiram Walker distillery right on the river shore complete with bright neon signage announcing the "evil" product to their thirsty US neighbors.

Joe B

Last edited by JoeCB; 05-19-2019 at 06:41 PM.
JoeCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 07:02 PM   #11
ericr

well there was a rumor, undoubtedly apocryphal, that some criminal organization had installed an underwater pipeline between Canada and the States to pump booze through...
ericr is offline   Reply With Quote