Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-03-2017, 02:32 PM   #1
pgerhardt

Default Why so few electric wipers?

I recently got all the electrics (headlights, signal lights, horn, and wiper) working on my 29 tudor. In my club I am the only one to return my tudor to an electric wiper (It had been converted to vacuum wipers when I got it.) There are two other 29 tudors in the club, both of which were professionally restored, and had vacuum wipers installed. Last summer I searched at shows for closed car model A's to photograph their electric wiper installation, and found only one out of all the cars I saw.

I find electric wipers better than vacuum. They are not slowed down by acceleration, or hill climbing. And they are never the source of unwanted vacuum leaks.

So why are so few A's running electric wipers?

BTW I still treat my windshield with Rain-X.
pgerhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 02:58 PM   #2
RawhideKid
BANNED

Default Re: Why so few electric wipers?

Ya know, when I purchased my 28 Tudor it had a hand wiper on it that didn't work at all, even with Rainx. So I did an epay search and found what looked like the one I needed and after getting it discovered that it was indeed the one for the car, just by the holes. Funny part is, it doesn't fit the descriptions in any of Plucks or others info for the mid 28 electric wiper. The windshield didn't have all the holes for what "should" have been the original electric wiper, go figure.

So I really fell in and came out smelling sweetly.

You want to see mine, I'll photo it for ya.
RawhideKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 03:52 PM   #3
Art Newland

I think original electric wiper motors are far and few between... and expensive.
Art Newland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 04:13 PM   #4
juke joint johnny

I think Ford only had a short warranty on the wipers of 3 or 4 months
when the Model A was new.

So maybe He didn't think much of them either!!

They sure are hard to find in use able condition, I have a few but the pot metal bases have swollen and cracked so not very repairable .
I need a decent one for the 29 Leather back
juke joint johnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 04:19 PM   #5
JDupuis

From what I've learned, Canadian cars had Electric wipers for the early 28's only. My 62 Ford Falcon was vacuum wipers. Jeff
Old 05-04-2017, 06:52 AM   #6
Del in NE Ohio

Here's my theory. The original electric wipers were so troublesome that they were replaced early in production (as evidenced in judging standards) and when cars were returned to dealers to service failing electric wiper systems, they were changed by the servicing dealers to vacuum systems.
Del in NE Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 08:00 AM   #7
pgerhardt

Quote:
Originally Posted by juke joint johnny View Post
I think Ford only had a short warranty on the wipers of 3 or 4 months
when the Model A was new.

So maybe He didn't think much of them either!!

They sure are hard to find in use able condition, I have a few but the pot metal bases have swollen and cracked so not very repairable .
I need a decent one for the 29 Leather back
PM sent.
Old 05-04-2017, 08:07 AM   #8
pgerhardt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Del in NE Ohio View Post
Here's my theory. The original electric wipers were so troublesome that they were replaced early in production (as evidenced in judging standards) and when cars were returned to dealers to service failing electric wiper systems, they were changed by the servicing dealers to vacuum systems.
Could be. It did not help that the electric wiper motor was outside the car subject to the elements. One change I made is running two wires down (one to a good ground). I did not like the stock method of just a brass tab rubbing against the windshield frame.

We'll see how well mine holds up. At least for now I can be happy that I have a relatively rare original wiper working.
Old 05-04-2017, 08:59 AM   #9
JohnLaVoy

I think the vacuum was cheaper so they used them instead of electric.
JohnLaVoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 09:04 AM   #10
Jeff/Illinois

Like a dummy, I had a perfect Heinze electric wiper I gave away years ago from my early '29 Tudor. Worked great at the time didn't think I needed it (was 19 and stupid)

Pardon me while I go smack my forehead with the heel of my hand.
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 02:45 PM   #11
ursus

The previous owner had installed an original electric wiper on my 31 Coupe. It works perfectly but, based on what I am reading here, maybe I should use it sparingly.
ursus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 04:45 PM   #12
supergnat

My 28 Leatherback came with the original wiper motor in a bag in pieces. The original base was broken and warped. There was a new reproduction base that must have been made from an original warped base and it was unusable. If I could find a good base I would rebuild it. Based on the parts I have it appears that they would be very fragile and could be why the move to vacuum was made. Does anyone sell good reproduction bases?
supergnat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 04:57 PM   #13
RawhideKid
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by supergnat View Post
My 28 Leatherback came with the original wiper motor in a bag in pieces. The original base was broken and warped. There was a new reproduction base that must have been made from an original warped base and it was unusable. If I could find a good base I would rebuild it. Based on the parts I have it appears that they would be very fragile and could be why the move to vacuum was made. Does anyone sell good reproduction bases?
You might try Ebay, I have seen some partials on there.
RawhideKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 06:56 AM   #14
juke joint johnny

There is a good article on electric wipers in " How to Restore Your Model A number 3 "

Worth a read
juke joint johnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 08:05 AM   #15
WHN

I spend many years looking for a good working one back in the late 70's when we restored our 29 Sport Coupe. Never could find one so changed over to vacuum. No problems, no leaks, installation was easy. Never had anyone ask why vacuum. Note, I don't drive on a rainy day. Because of that, car still wins 40 years after restoration.
WHN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 03:00 PM   #16
Panteren

A lot of Danish Model A`s have been converted to electrical wipers, usually with a wiper from a little newer car. Wiper is manufactured by "BOSCH" Personally I use this one - It`s not cheap but fit`sin the original mounting holes http://www.snydersantiqueauto.com/electric-wiper-kit
Panteren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 10:00 PM   #17
hop up

How about a Magnetic windshield cleaner from the 1920s I believe or patent date is
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (68.7 KB, 58 views)
Old 05-12-2017, 01:18 AM   #18
DougVieyra

MAC's Model A catalog has new "direct replacement" electric windshield wiper kits for the Ford Model A - both a 6 volt version and a 12 volt version. My most recent catalog has them listed on page 166. This new unit is somewhat different than the so-called replacement electric wipers of the past (which they also carry - $42) and had to be modified, with varying results.

However, this new 'direct replacement' electric wiper ain't cheap ! $300. But for some, it may 'fit the bill'.
DougVieyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 01:50 AM   #19
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgerhardt View Post
I recently got all the electrics (headlights, signal lights, horn, and wiper) working on my 29 tudor. In my club I am the only one to return my tudor to an electric wiper (It had been converted to vacuum wipers when I got it.) There are two other 29 tudors in the club, both of which were professionally restored, and had vacuum wipers installed. Last summer I searched at shows for closed car model A's to photograph their electric wiper installation, and found only one out of all the cars I saw.

I find electric wipers better than vacuum. They are not slowed down by acceleration, or hill climbing. And they are never the source of unwanted vacuum leaks.

So why are so few A's running electric wipers?

BTW I still treat my windshield with Rain-X.
The vacuum wiper in Tudors were introduced in June of 1929 and were the sole wiper by August, so yea I would expect to see more electric wipers as the conversion would have been a PIA with all the parts that had to be installed.
Old 05-12-2017, 09:49 AM   #20
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHN View Post
I spend many years looking for a good working one back in the late 70's when we restored our 29 Sport Coupe. Never could find one so changed over to vacuum. No problems, no leaks, installation was easy. Never had anyone ask why vacuum. Note, I don't drive on a rainy day. Because of that, car still wins 40 years after restoration.
I found one for my early 29 Tudor, but they are hard to find and expensive.

I also use Rain-X and try to never drive in the rain. I even try to never drive my modern car in the rain, as being wet just adds to the rust.

I did a Google check for South Bend weather before I left for my 8 day trip last week. Acu-weather called for 60's and low 70's and no rain all week, but South Bend had 3" in one day, and frost on the cars two mornings. I had three days of rain during my 8 day trip, so I'm glad I didn't drive my Studebaker.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote