Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-22-2016, 12:39 AM   #1
Paul Bennett

Default Concour and judging - and belts

I've been researching seat belts and came across mention of seat belts causing judges to mark down a car.

I accept mark downs for non-originality. But where can I find the judging criteria? And where/when does this happen?

As FordBarn cars are for the most part, stock there must be a reasonable contingent who have gone through the judging process...I don't even know where events are held.

Regardless, since it looks feasible, I probably will add a pair of shoulder belts in front and one lap belt center rear for baby seat (great grandkids).
Paul Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 02:24 AM   #2
mhsprecher

Default Re: Concour and judging - and belts

Easy enough to install seat belts and even shoulder belts. I put shoulder belts in my 39 Fordor. Here is where I got mine: http://www.julianos.com/Seat-Belts-s/96.htm

I don't think you are penalized for seat belts. Certainly not in the Model A world, where the clubs encourage members to install them. I really don't know about the V8 club.
mhsprecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 05:54 AM   #3
Big Red 51

Paul, I have never been penalized for a clean installation of seat belts for any vehicle in the Early Ford V8 Club at National meets. Even if I were, I would use them for safety. They may save your life someday. Don
Big Red 51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 07:52 AM   #4
51 MERC-CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Bennett View Post
I've been researching seat belts and came across mention of seat belts causing judges to mark down a car.

I accept mark downs for non-originality. But where can I find the judging criteria? And where/when does this happen?

As FordBarn cars are for the most part, stock there must be a reasonable contingent who have gone through the judging process...I don't even know where events are held.

Regardless, since it looks feasible, I probably will add a pair of shoulder belts in front and one lap belt center rear for baby seat (great grandkids).
Although mine is a 2dr. coupe this is my installation of Juliano's 3 point belts.
In a concours judged car show, my car and I suspect your car have many more issues to worry about and seat belts are at the bottom of the list.
Install the belts and don't worry about being judged.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg a.jpg (25.7 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg b.jpg (27.4 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg c.jpg (24.7 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg d.jpg (24.8 KB, 27 views)
Old 12-22-2016, 08:35 AM   #5
G.M.

When I judged there was no deduction for seat belts or turn
signals as long as they were neatly installed. These are considered
safety items. G.M.
Old 12-22-2016, 08:58 AM   #6
rockfla

All of the judging criteria is in the front of the EFV8 club roster.....If memory serves me right and the reason there are two different judging classes...Concourse (Dearborn) & Touring.....the touring class allows for "Some" modern day accessories/safety & reliability improvements with NO point deductions...If in the Concourse (Or Concourse Dearborn) Class...AS HENRY Built it!!!! Then you would get point deduction..
rockfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 09:50 AM   #7
TonyM

[QUOTE=Paul Bennett;1402923]I've been researching seat belts and came across mention of seat belts causing judges to mark down a car.

What organization? Early Ford V-8 Club? Antique Automobile Club of America? Classic Car Club of America?

Automobiles are judged at club sanctioned events like National Meets. Clubs have these meets to show the cars, judge them and, in some cases, award trophies. You need to join a club, register for a national meet, then bring your car to the meet where it will be judged.

The club organization you belong to hold and sponsor the events and publish their own judging standards. All info is sent out to members as to time and location of national meets, tours, etc.

QUOTE]

Last edited by TonyM; 12-22-2016 at 10:30 AM.
TonyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 09:53 AM   #8
woodiewagon46

Paul, all of the clubs I am associated with, such as AACA, MARC, MAFCA and the V-8 Club will not take points off for safety related items. In this day and age you must have seat belts, especially with some older cars with non safety glass and flat windshields. For a Safety 23 issued by NSRA, seat belts are required.
woodiewagon46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 10:03 AM   #9
TJ

There are no point deductions for seat belts or turn signals. In some states these items are requirements if you drive your car on a public road. Most if not all clubs that have events where cars are judged do not deduct points for these two safety items.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 10:33 AM   #10
VeryTangled

Hi Everyone. Here's an old thread on Concour experiences...

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=48512

Have you thought about supporting the Early Ford V-8 Foundation Museum?
VeryTangled is offline   Reply With Quote