Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-20-2020, 02:29 PM   #1
barnstuf

Default 1930 Coupe Acquired 2/22/41, 79 Years ago

My oldest son said "Dad you are about to start your 80th year of owning the Coupe" which got me to thinking. My parents gave me the $30 real nice car as a birthday present on Feb 22, 1941, even although I got it a month early. No, it was not my first Model A, I had previously owned another 1930 Coupe, a 1930 Fordor, a 1928 Tudor, a running "A" chassis and a 1928 Essex, a real dog. Purchase prices ranged from $4 to a max of $10.

As to my Coupe it is a 1930 Standard Coupe known in our Club because of its lack of accessories. No motor meter or quail, no stone guard, no cowl lights, no running board step plates, no side mount spare tires, no luggage rack or trunk, just plain Jane as so many Model A's were in the past before dressing your A up became popular. It does have a manifold heater which I believe is original, and as a teenager I converted the lift up rear deck to a rumble seat. You may be interested to know that in 1941 from a junkyard I paid $4 for a rumble lid, seat cushions, and the curved inner metal panel. I still have the original trunk lid.

It was my only car for quite a few years and has been continually registered and driven all 79 years except during WWII when I was in the service. It is barn kept in the same 200 year old barn all these years, and field mice have never bothered it since I made the decision to leave the hood open every time it was in the barn. Mice do not like daylight it seems and do their dirty work in darkness. I know its history since the say it was sold new to Irving Freeman of Provincetown MA in 1930.

It was close to 40,000 miles when I got it, now the speedo is on its second round trip at about 80,000 miles and has not worked since I put an overdrive in the car in the mid 1980's and found my cable was too short. Easy to fix bit I never have. It enjoyed a paint job and LeBarron Bonney interior in the early 1990's and the motor has been overhauled once during my ownership and runs great.

I used to have 5 Model A's but have cut back to two as I get older, and I have only owned the other one since 1954 so it is late to the party.
barnstuf is offline   Reply With Quote