Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-08-2019, 11:39 AM   #1
glennpm

Default Crankcase Vent PCV for 59A

Hi,

I recently added PCV valve to my 46-48 59A motor. I didn't like the oil grime accumulating on the side of the oil pan and beyond so put the valve in, one from a 3.0L Plymouth.

I saw this old thread by Walt Dupont before doing it so followed his lead,

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showp...72&postcount=8

" ... Re: Draft tube / crankcase vent
NOW, the 59 engine is a little harder, there is a no. of ways to install one, I'll tell you an easy way, not quite as neat, plug the slot in the breather on the bottom front of the oil pan, (this is easier to do with the pan off) drill a
hole in the side of the breather, brass a fitting that the pcv will fit, find a vacuum spot in the intake and run a hose, if you can hide the hose it will work fine. Walt"

I didn't completely close the oil pan slot, instead I put in a piece of open cell foam in the slot. This allows a little breathing to occur.

My question is with the PCV placed as I did, on how effectively a crankcase vacuum can be drawn considering how close it is to the oil-fill/breather cap. Has anyone else done this like I have?

I no longer have oil on the side of the pan but have a small leak at the crankcase pulley, no change before and after the PCV mod, but want a good vacuum to help mitigate this crankshaft leak if possible.

Glenn
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CrankcaseVentilation.jpg (57.2 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0837.jpg (51.8 KB, 61 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0921.jpg (73.9 KB, 62 views)
File Type: jpg PVC_from Plymouth 3.0L.jpg (11.4 KB, 30 views)
glennpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 12:20 PM   #2
glennpm

Default Re: Crankcase Vent PCV for 59A

I also know that tapping a hole in the front of my intake over the tube at this location which goes down to the sump would be better. I'll do this when I adjust my valves and have the intake off.

Glenn
Old 09-08-2019, 12:24 PM   #3
hotcoupe

I don't think that you're going to accomplish anything with the PCV that close to the vent.
Tom
hotcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 12:27 PM   #4
glennpm

Yes hotcoupe, I'm thinking the same thing.

Glenn
Old 09-08-2019, 12:51 PM   #5
51 MERC-CT

The only way that it may be effective is to seal the oil breather/filler opening so that a vacuum can be formed to draw air thru the front oil pan breather.
Old 09-08-2019, 02:24 PM   #6
hotcoupe

I have been thinking about this same issue (PCV in a 59 or earlier block). I had a catastrophic failure of the full floating rod bearings and while the engine is apart i wanted to add a hidden PVC system. The problem is you cannot tap the bottom of the stock intake manifold and gain a vacuum source from all eight cylinders. So what i intend to do is bore each intake runner for a small (1/4" - 5/16") tube (weld, press fit, or epoxy) and connect those tubes via neoprene hose to a common plenum and then to a PCV on the stand pipe at the front of the block. In addition, i'am going to use some thin brass shim stock to block off the pan vent. Stay tuned. . .
Tom
hotcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 03:46 PM   #7
glennpm

Thanks guys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 51 MERC-CT View Post
The only way that it may be effective is to seal the oil breather/filler opening so that a vacuum can be formed to draw air thru the front oil pan breather.
Yes, I've seen at least one other thread mentioning doing it this way. It could be okay as long as the air inlet was filtered some way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotcoupe View Post
So what i intend to do is bore each intake runner for a small (1/4" - 5/16") tube (weld, press fit, or epoxy) and connect those tubes via neoprene hose to a common plenum and then to a PCV on the stand pipe at the front of the block. In addition, i'am going to use some thin brass shim stock to block off the pan vent. Stay tuned. . .
Tom

I'm lucky in that my old Edmunds intake had a stock vacuum port in a connected chamber between the two carb mounts. It is what I'm using, enlarged to 3/8" NPT for the PCV and my Columbia vacuum source. I think I'll tap a new hole on top of the stand pipe for the PCV intake.

Glenn
Old 09-08-2019, 03:57 PM   #8
V8 Bob

Talking Re: Crankcase Vent PCV for 59A

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotcoupe View Post
.....The problem is you cannot tap the bottom of the stock intake manifold and gain a vacuum source from all eight cylinders........

You just need to drill into each plane and tee them together.
V8 Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 04:05 PM   #9
glennpm

Luckily this isn’t true for my old Edmunds intake. There is a combined plenum right beneath the two carb mounts which came stock for a vacuum tap. The vacuum source hole between the two carbs is shown in this ebay ad. Pictures of bottom of manifold are included.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Edmunds-For...oAAOSwvLJdYYbI