Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-18-2020, 12:58 PM   #1
First time restorer

Default Radial tires on old rims

I am restoring my grandfather’s 39 Ford. As far as I know it has the original rims. Will radial tires work or should I stick with bias ply.?
I read somewhere that radials can cause stress on these rims.

Thanks
First time restorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 12:59 PM   #2
Ed Pitts

Default Re: Radial tires on old rims

Radials will work fine. I have them on my 1935 wheels. Ed
Ed Pitts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 01:45 PM   #3
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by First time restorer View Post
I am restoring my grandfather’s 39 Ford. As far as I know it has the original rims. Will radial tires work or should I stick with bias ply.?
I read somewhere that radials can cause stress on these rims.

Thanks
You're going to get a lot of vastly different opinions here.
Me? I think radials look like poop. But, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Radials are much heavier and as such, unless you're front chassis is in very good condition, you're likely to have operating issues.
Wheel tramp is common.
The wide five wheels are different than'35 rims mentioned in a previous response. I'd be very apprehensive to mount radials on them.
Old 03-18-2020, 02:17 PM   #4
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kube View Post
You're going to get a lot of vastly different opinions here.
Me? I think radials look like poop. But, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

I've got to admit that MOST radials DO look sorta like poop on early rims like Kube says, but there just happen to be a couple of modern radial tire brands which have been developed with the old car enthusiast in mind. The most popular is the Stahl Excelsior brand radials which are available in 16" wheel sizes (1939 Ford) all the way from 5.50 X 16" to 7.50 X 16", including the stock '39 size of 6.00 X 16". These tires are radials manufactured to look very close to an original tire profile. The picture below shows these Excelsiors mounted on 1940 Ford wheels which are dimensionally the same as 1939 wheels, except for the different bolt pattern. A friend in Florida has these mounted on stock '40 wheels on his '36 coupe and loves the way they drive and handle....and without tubes! DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 03:49 PM   #5
JM 35 Sedan

Radial tires made a huge improvement in ride and handling on my '35 fordor sedan when I replaced the bias ply tires back in 2007. I would never consider going back to bias ply. I build my cars as presentable drivers, and could care less about having a high point show car. So, appearance of radial vs. bias means nothing to me, however, my Diamondback smoothed side wall/black wall radial tires look as good as any bias ply tires that I've ever seen. I also have a complete set of Coker www radial tires, and plan to purchase a set of Coker Excelsior BW radial tires for a '35 coupe I'm slowly reassembling.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 03:52 PM   #6

I have Stahl Radials on 4 of my cars and love them. They are expensive but worth it in my opinion. Far better handling and ride than the bias ply's I had.
95476 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 03:57 PM   #7
petehoovie

I don't think the Coker radials on this '37 (wide-five wheels) are ugly....

The steering and handling were greatly improved....

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 03:58 PM   #8
A bones

Radials are a good move to improve handling and ride. Be sure to keep pressures at 32 to 35 PSI. Added bonus, they will last many more miles than bias ply.
Old 03-18-2020, 04:49 PM   #9
51504bat

The PO of my '39 p/u installed tubeless plain jane radials on the stock wide five's. Goes down the road straight and smooth without any balance weights. I do have to watch the front tire pressures but not the rears. Guessing it is due to the stress from cornering causing a loss of pressure but that is just a guess.
Old 03-18-2020, 04:53 PM   #10
tubman

I'm with the rest of the guys. When I had Firestone bias plies on my '51, negotiating a cloverleaf at anything near a reasonable speed was an adventure. I put a set of Coker Classic radials on it and it was infinitely better.
tubman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 05:07 PM   #11
RKS.PA

Chiming in!!...put Coker 600x16's on my '47. Love the ride and the handling, original rims and no tubes!! To each his own!!
RKS.PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 05:13 PM   #12
petehoovie

I always install tubes in the radials I use on the original wheels on my classic cars....

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0

Last edited by petehoovie; 03-18-2020 at 05:29 PM.
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 09:37 PM   #13
GB SISSON

I too always liked the look of bias ply tires. But last fall I went radial on '47 type stock rims, no tubes and no loss of air. The steering is way better. Since I am always on a truck chassis, I chose 215 85r 16s because they are readily available and way cheap on CL. These are tall and skinny and came stock on MANY dually pickups and cab/chassis. Anyways, I'm sticking with radials. I did go to a car show once in about 2014, and was underwhelmed by how they judged the cars.
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 10:19 PM   #14
TomT/Williamsburg

As far as running wide 5s with radial tires, this is my experience. My avatar has had them on since just before I left for the LA Father’s Day roadster show in 2016. Absolutely no problems from blazing hot temps, over some pretty bad roads and at a top sustained speed of 85. Fronts are 4” running the Austone taxi cab 175/80-r16 tires. The rears are just a tad wider and run 235/85-r16 Dunlops I bought used @ Spring Carlisle of 2016 (and they are still on the car now). I am tubeless and they are balanced using Dynabeads. I run the fronts @ 28 psi., rears at 30.

The look may not be what you want but you can do it with no problems .....
TomT/Williamsburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 12:48 AM   #15
Tinker

No leaks from rivets? Coker makes some great radial looking bi plys. Don't feel the shift with a set of miltary 6py NDT at 70mph. But I do with the regular tires on the 36. I don't have my phone then or am concerned.

Guess if you worried you could run tubes or run flats like nascar. But like the cokers radials

Remember tires are no substitution to kingpins, rodends and tight stearing.

Last edited by Tinker; 03-19-2020 at 12:57 AM.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 04:13 AM   #16
Mart

My 58 GMC had 205-16s on the stock rims. I bought it like that. The rears were tubeless. Fronts had tubes. Both fronts failed. The tubes fatigued or chafed. I switched them to tubeless and never had a problem after.

Note these were stock riveted rims and NO SAFETY BEADS.

There is an often quoted myth that you need safety beads with tubeless. Not true. Tubeless tyres predated safety beads by (I'm guessing) ten years or so.

Mart.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 07:08 AM   #17
Frank Miller

Here is my take on the whole issue. The rims were made to take the load of the car at full traction of the tire. They should be plenty strong enough whether forces are later horizontal or vertical. I've heard people swear up and down about hubcaps falling of the rims with radials. I just cannot picture a rim flexing that much. I'll believe your stories but I'm unconvinced that is the root of the problem. A tube is just a bladder to hold air and I cannot see how it helps hold a tire to the rim. It can make it easier to seat the bead but that's it. Any leaks in the tube will escape through the valve hole in the rim. Other that wire wheels I see no use for them and wires can be sealed up pretty well if that's your goal.
Old 03-19-2020, 07:35 AM   #18
alanwoodieman

my 40 wagon has high pressure 42 lbs radials from ecopia a brand of tire from Bridgestone/Firestone and I have put them on at least five others and they love the ride better than bias
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P2220011.jpg (66.1 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg P2220010.jpg (96.9 KB, 17 views)
alanwoodieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 08:53 AM   #19
tubman

Over the years, I have literally spent days chasing slow leaks on just about every vehicle I have owned, EXCEPT my '51 Ford with tubeless Coker Classics on the original wheels. (They all turned out to be rim leaks.)

Also, I have found what "Mart" said about running tubes in tubeless radials to be true.
tubman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 10:12 AM   #20
philipswanson

I am running Cooper smooth blackwalls on my 40 wagon on pre-67 F100 wheels with stock hubcaps. Steel belted radials at $97 at Discount tire.
philipswanson is offline   Reply With Quote