Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-11-2022, 06:04 PM   #1
Ken/Alabama

Default 40 Ford Drake radiator saga

Ok guys, got my Drake radiator back from the radiator shop today. He said it had probably 8-10 tubes plugged off. With solder I suppose. He ran a rod though the rest and he said it flowed good and seen no reason why it shouldn’t cool. I put it in my coupe drove it around a 10 mile loop. The temp rose up a little past the normal mark . With The original radiator I took out of the coupe and put in my sedan the temp hardly ever got past the normal mark. So the jury is still out on this thing. I plan on taking it out tomorrow and really stretch it’s legs. We’ll see how that goes.
Ken/Alabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 06:11 PM   #2
Krylon32

Default Re: 40 Ford Drake radiator saga

Are the Drake Radiators made overseas? Johnson Radiators and Brassworks would be good USA options.
Krylon32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 06:24 PM   #3
Ken/Alabama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krylon32 View Post
Are the Drake Radiators made overseas? Johnson Radiators and Brassworks would be good USA options.
They probably are. Was just trying to keep it looking correct. I’m already into this stupid thing for a Grand.
Old 08-11-2022, 07:13 PM   #4
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krylon32 View Post
I am fairly certain all, or nearly all, of Drake's stuff is produced in China.
Old 08-11-2022, 10:05 PM   #5
35fordtn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kube View Post
I am fairly certain all, or nearly all, of Drake's stuff is produced in China.
As is most all reproduction parts from the large vendors. Had a quote last year for 45,000 bolts. USA made the cheapest of 28 quotes was 0.34 each unplated. The only overseas quote just for comparison was 0.12 each plated to my specifications. I went the USA route but I can see why the old saying money talks.

On to the original topic. I have used a drake radiator in a 40 once with no issues. But as a drake dealer I won’t stock them due to the risk of Ken’s situation
35fordtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2022, 05:56 AM   #6
Bored&Stroked

Hey Michael - thanks for the perspectives. One of the challenges that we all face is putting the desire for the cheapest price against quality, country of origin, material specifications, correct form/fit, etc.

Too many of us "consumers" were somehow conditioned that "price" was the most important - and were not taught enough (or simply didn't care) about the other things. So, we kept shopping on price and more and more of the manufacturer's gave us exactly what we showed them we wanted.

Then we tend to wonder why you can't go to Home Depot of Lowes and buy a dang garden hose or a quality shovel that isn't a complete POS. I can buy a lot of cheap ones but can't even find a good one anymore.

We've contributed to the problem - sad to say.

Now - this was NOT meant to be a political statement - so those of you chewing your coffee . . . relax!
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2022, 08:33 AM   #7
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bored&Stroked View Post
Hey Michael - thanks for the perspectives. One of the challenges that we all face is putting the desire for the cheapest price against quality, country of origin, material specifications, correct form/fit, etc.

Too many of us "consumers" were somehow conditioned that "price" was the most important - and were not taught enough (or simply didn't care) about the other things. So, we kept shopping on price and more and more of the manufacturer's gave us exactly what we showed them we wanted.

Then we tend to wonder why you can't go to Home Depot of Lowes and buy a dang garden hose or a quality shovel that isn't a complete POS. I can buy a lot of cheap ones but can't even find a good one anymore.

Now - this was NOT meant to be a political statement - so those of you chewing your coffee . . . relax!
I could not agree with you more.
My wife and I have a retail garment business. On occasion, a client will demand USA produced garments. The issues with that? It is nearly impossible to find USA garments and once I do, the price is triple (at minimum) of the comparable foreign supplied pieces. The other issue? The quality of the USA stuff is total crap compared to the non-domestic.

I have always (might be the OCD) purchased the best quality "anything" as I look at my purchases as investments. How long will the cheap one last vs. the more expensive one?
Old 08-12-2022, 09:53 AM   #8
35fordtn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kube View Post
I could not agree with you more.
My wife and I have a retail garment business. On occasion, a client will demand USA produced garments. The issues with that? It is nearly impossible to find USA garments and once I do, the price is triple (at minimum) of the comparable foreign supplied pieces. The other issue? The quality of the USA stuff is total crap compared to the non-domestic.

I have always (might be the OCD) purchased the best quality "anything" as I look at my purchases as investments. How long will the cheap one last vs. the more expensive one?
Mike, the shirts you made me 7 years ago are still holding strong!
35fordtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2022, 09:59 AM   #9
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35fordtn View Post
Mike, the shirts you made me 7 years ago are still holding strong!
Need more?
Old 08-12-2022, 05:41 PM   #10
Ken/Alabama

Well Folks, I took my 40 Coupe on a 25 mile run this afternoon. Pulled couple hills on the trip and the temp gauge kept creeping up so I turned and headed back home. when I got back the temp gauge has rose to the 3/4 mark on the gauge. With the other radiator that is an NOS 91A service replacement radiator the temp gauge hardly ever got above the normal mark even on the hot days. So, I carried another radiator over to the radiator shop this morning for him to be sure it’s clean and pressure checked. The Drake radiator just isn’t getting the job done.
Old 08-12-2022, 07:27 PM   #11
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken/Alabama View Post
Well Folks, I took my 40 Coupe on a 25 mile run this afternoon. Pulled couple hills on the trip and the temp gauge kept creeping up so I turned and headed back home. when I got back the temp gauge has rose to the 3/4 mark on the gauge. With the other radiator that is an NOS 91A service replacement radiator the temp gauge hardly ever got above the normal mark even on the hot days. So, I carried another radiator over to the radiator shop this morning for him to be sure it’s clean and pressure checked. The Drake radiator just isn’t getting the job done.

So, does this mean that Bob & crew are going to refund your purchase price?

Coop

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2022, 07:49 PM   #12
Ken/Alabama

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8COOPMAN View Post
So, does this mean that Bob & crew are going to refund your purchase price?

Coop

I seriously doubt it. I’ve been on the phone twice with them and they were gonna call me back but that never happened. So that’s $900 plus as we say in the south throwed up a hogs ass. !
Old 08-12-2022, 07:55 PM   #13
40cpe

In Mississippi it is "throwed up a WILD hogs ass and hollared SOOEY."
40cpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2022, 08:03 PM   #14
51504bat

Did you pay with a credit card? You might be able to get some relief from the card company. But I'm sure they'll say its been too long since you purchased the radiator. Still worth a call and getting passed around from one department to another. You never know it might work out in your favor.
Old 08-12-2022, 08:23 PM   #15
Ken/Alabama

Quote:
Originally Posted by 51504bat View Post
Did you pay with a credit card? You might be able to get some relief from the card company. But I'm sure they'll say its been too long since you purchased the radiator. Still worth a call and getting passed around from one department to another. You never know it might work out in your favor.
I bought that radiator in December 2020 cause they had a sale on. So it’s been a while went by before I got around to installing it.
Old 08-13-2022, 09:58 AM   #16
rotorwrench

One of the things that affects prices for parts in the USA is any form of plating. The EPA regulations on heavy metals are likely among the stiffest regulations in the world. A lot of plated items were farmed out to Asian countries before we started doing business with Mainland China in the 1990s. Taiwan manufactured a lot of plated items that the US couldn't compete with but their labor expenses are higher than some of the other Asian countries now so the manufacturing has been slowly shifting to other not quite as friendly countries. Many of these countries have little of no pollution regulations so this really give them an advantage plus many have very low wage earner economies compared to the West.

We still have electroplaters here in the US but the cost to operate has made the retail prices higher for this type of stuff. The plating here is generally very high quality or a company won't be around very long. When it costs that much it better be good.

Last edited by rotorwrench; 08-13-2022 at 10:04 AM.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2022, 06:33 PM   #17
Ken/Alabama

Took my 40 on a long road trip today just to see if the temp would reach a peak. It didn’t, just kept climbing. I went little over 40 miles. It was approaching the H mark by the time I got back. The engine is a stock 221 with std bore and has never had any heating issues even in the hot summer time.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg E254EB9F-4414-45ED-B892-5D3BD170F7AB.jpg (22.4 KB, 16 views)
Old 08-13-2022, 06:50 PM   #18
paul2748

Did you ever put a heat sensing gun on the engine. While not doubting your reports, gauges sometimes go bad when you least expect it (if we ever expect it). Could be a gauge gone sour or a sending unit gone sour.
paul2748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2022, 06:52 PM   #19
Hitman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bored&Stroked View Post

Country of origin isn’t the issue. China and many other countries can manufacture fantastic, high quality items. But just like in America, it is going to cost you. There isn’t a new car manufacturer that is produces 100% in America. We all carry cell phones in our pockets, and not a single one was produced in America. I know a lot of us here have cell phones that truly cost $1000 and were made in China. Quality costs, no matter where its produced.
Hitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2022, 07:12 PM   #20
Ken/Alabama

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul2748 View Post
Did you ever put a heat sensing gun on the engine. While not doubting your reports, gauges sometimes go bad when you least expect it (if we ever expect it). Could be a gauge gone sour or a sending unit gone sour.
Yeah, Temp gun 198 degrees. That engine never runs that hot. I’ve driven it all over Alabama,Georgia,Tennessee, N.C. Never had a heating problem.