Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-29-2022, 12:36 PM   #21
'32FordNut

Default Re: 1956 Ford Truck, C4 Tranny Pan Problems

Wow, Rotorwrench, that's some great information. I'm familiar with aviation, been flying fixed wing since I was 17 and CFI Rotorcraft 3 years later and flew for PD. I wish I could get all my cars as clean and leak free as the Airships I flew <LOL>. Your name is Rotorwrench, do you work on helicopters, I see a fixed wing radial engine in the picture?

I used the rubber gasket first and then 2 times with cork. I have 2 more cork gaskets coming tomorrow, but it's leaking quite a bit. So I think I need to go with your suggestion, it's more than just a drip. I tightened them to around 13-14 inch pounds and I'll tell you, that just doesn't seem to be tight. Every time I cross pattern them, when I come back the 1st bolts, they are all loose again and I keep chasing them to the set torque of 14 inch pounds. I think part of the problem is with 13 cars, it's really hard to keep them all leak free. Time to get rid of a couple of my 32's I think. Thanks for your responses, I appreciate it.
'32FordNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2022, 06:59 PM   #22
KULTULZ

Post Re: 1956 Ford Truck, C4 Tranny Pan Problems

Quote:
They claimed to have fixed it, but it was still a small leak that would build up after a few weeks.
Was the trans completely gone through?

You say after a few weeks the trans leaks and there are no other visible leakage signs. It may be possible the convertor is leaking down. If the cork gasket becomes wet, it isn't going to stop a pressure (weight of fluid) leakage.

Is this a pan or case fill C4? Can you remove the bottom dust cover and look around the front seal area? If no leakage, the front seal may still be good but the seals that keep the convertor full may be compromised.

- WHY IS IT ... -

... that everything you buy in the grocery store is either wrapped in or contained in plastic but the government doesn't want you to carry it out in a plastic bag?

WONDERING IN W(BY GOD)V ...

DIAGNOSED CDO - (OCD In Correct Alphabetical Order)
KULTULZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2022, 09:42 AM   #23
'32FordNut

Hello Kultulz, Yes the trans was gone through and rebuilt by a transmission shop. Then the dog bone broke inside (I think that's what it is called). The part that shifts the transmission. My shifter would shift, the rod going into the transmission would rotate but it wouldn't shift gears. They took it apart again to replace that. I told them it was leaking from the first time they rebuilt it 3 months prior and said they'd take care of the leak. I got it back and it still leaked. So now I've don the pan 3 more times and it still leaks, but I haven't worked on a trans pan since I had my first job at a mechanics shop 48 years ago. I guess mechanics just isn't for me. I still think it's because the pan is not squared and level. I cannot find a good pan. The only one I can find is by Scott Drake and the reviews all say the holes don't line up and the lip won't let you put a socket on it to torque it down. I'm 90 % sure it's my pan, I just can't get it so it doesn't wobble from side to side on the bench after hammering it. It's better, but it's not perfect. My warranty is up on the trans so I will probably just have to eat the bullet and pay what they want. At least it will be under warranty again and I can keep taking it back until it's right. I was just trying to prove that I can do it because I'm head strong <LOL>
Old 07-30-2022, 09:45 AM   #24
'32FordNut

I do have 2 more cork gaskets that's out for delivery today and I'm thinking about giving 1 more try and really trying to get the pan squared. It is leaking from the drivers side of the pan now instead of the pass. side, so I must be on the right track. What do you think? Also a friend of mine said he uses a thin bead of white grease on both sides of the gasket and he's never had a leak on his racing Mach 1, but he said the pan has to be squared. Is white grease a good idea? Plus he said he thinks the torque should only be 11-13 inch pounds not the 14 that I did?? He also said that when I torque it down from side to side and I go back to the first bolt and it's loose again, he said the pan is NOT squared and that's why I lose the tightness. Sorry for rambling.

Last edited by '32FordNut; 07-30-2022 at 09:49 AM. Reason: updated my comments
Old 07-30-2022, 10:40 AM   #25
rotorwrench

Quote:
Originally Posted by '32FordNut View Post
Wow, Rotorwrench, that's some great information. I'm familiar with aviation, been flying fixed wing since I was 17 and CFI Rotorcraft 3 years later and flew for PD. I wish I could get all my cars as clean and leak free as the Airships I flew <LOL>. Your name is Rotorwrench, do you work on helicopters, I see a fixed wing radial engine in the picture?
The shop I worked for had maintenance contracts with San Antonio PD and the USDA. SAPD had several 269C helicopters and one 500C for many years before changing over to the Schweizer 333 aircraft. Try as we might, the 333 was a problem child that just kept compounding as Schweizer kept modifying it to have more gross weight capability. SAPD decided that they needed to do their own maintenance due to costs getting higher on those turds. They eventually traded all the 333s for EC-120s so they found out how much fun it is to do maintanance on their own. The best machine they have is the AS-350 but they only run one of those.

The photo is my Pop's airplane at Celone air base near Foggia, Italy in late 1944. He was the co-pilot on that bird for most of his missions. The Miss U survived the war but was damaged in a landing accident in the US after the end of the war. It was likely scrapped after that.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2022, 11:02 AM   #26
'32FordNut

That's awesome about your dad's airplane. I'm sure it was scrapped after the war and that landing. They were scrapping everything. A friend of mine could have bought a P-51 for $40K back in the day when they were getting rid of them. He can kick himself in the ass now for not getting one. I learned in a Bell 47-G2, flew for Pomona PD in a 47-G5 Turbo. Too much overhead and they switched to an Enstrom and had one for a parts backup. I have a lot of time in a 269C (Hughes). I had 20' booms on each side and computer lights in 6 rows and did messages in the sky. Looked like it was a Goodyear Blimp with the lights, but I could hover above Dodger Stadium, etc. as where the Blimp had to keep speed. I had a pretty good newspaper article about me and the helicopter in 1982 that really went into the workings and plenty of photos. That really got people buying ads. Then went over to LAPD and retired. My son was stationed at Aviano AFB for quite a few years ago. He loved it in Italy, but a different way to life. Got out of flying about 5 years ago in helicopters, and sold my V-Tail Bonanza 3 years ago. Not for me anymore being 68. Don't want to be the guy that flies until they have to take my license and after close to 20K hours, I'm done. I do miss the flying and all the stories.

Last edited by '32FordNut; 07-30-2022 at 11:05 AM. Reason: spelling errors
Old 07-30-2022, 11:11 AM   #27
KULTULZ

Post Re: 1956 Ford Truck, C4 Tranny Pan Problems

On a cork gasket (back in the day), I used chassis grease (sparingly) to hold the gasket while mounting.

If the pan is warped (askew - college word) and there is no suitable service replacement, try tightening the fasteners from center to out, alternating side to side. Start with half-torque then go around again at full torque spec.

Do you have any idea what the trans came out of?

- WHY IS IT ... -

... that everything you buy in the grocery store is either wrapped in or contained in plastic but the government doesn't want you to carry it out in a plastic bag?

WONDERING IN W(BY GOD)V ...

DIAGNOSED CDO - (OCD In Correct Alphabetical Order)
KULTULZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2022, 11:30 AM   #28
'32FordNut

No, not sure what it came out of. I bought it this way. 1956 Ford F100 with a Mustang 302 and a C4, both all stock. So maybe out of a Mustang also, but cannot swear to it. Chrysler Cordoba front end. That's all I know from the guy I bought it from. But you know as well as I do, that can be BS too. I've had it for about 15 years. Great truck. really reliable. I just don't want a big puddle under it on my floor, <LOL>.
Old 08-08-2022, 11:38 PM   #29
'32FordNut

OK, here's my final update <LOL>!! I ordered a C4 Pan from NPD in Ventura, CA. I called and talked to them and they checked the pan before they sent it and it was NOT warped and squared. I got it the next day and it was nice. It was a Scott Drake pan and the reviews said the bolt holes don't line up properly and the bolts won't let you tighten them down with a socket, there wasn't enough room. They either fixed the problems or I got a great one. I added Gaska-Cinch to the cork gasket and the pan. Married them when it dried. put a little chassis grease between the gasket and the tranny like Kultulz suggested, tightened to 12 Inch pounds and not one leak 1 week later. Thanks for all the help and encouragement. I was ready to give up and spend 150-200 at the Tranny shop. No more leaks, at least until the next one comes <LOL>
Old 08-09-2022, 01:43 AM   #30
Alaska Jim

Glad you got it fixed
Alaska Jim is offline   Reply With Quote