Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-19-2021, 02:23 PM   #1
nkaminar

Default Computer on Wheels

We just bought a new car. It makes me appreciate my Model A more and more. Although the new car will drive without it, the car really requires to be connected to a smart phone for a lot of the functions to work, such as the GPS navigation. All aspects of driving are controlled by the onboard computer including braking, steering, lights, camera, action. It will beep and move the steering wheel if you wander too much from your lane and will apply the brakes if it thinks they should come on. It really freaks me out. For one thing, I am a very private person and have all the location services and SIRI disconnected in my iToaster.

So, what do you think about this? Does it freak you out too or are you 16 years old?
The clutch always sticks, and starts with a jerk.
My car grows red hair, and flies through the air.
Driving's a blast, a blast from the past.
nkaminar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 02:32 PM   #2
Stingray70

Default Re: Computer on Wheels

The automation doesn't freak me out. I guess I am used to it. It is a necessity in my professional life. I definitely am not a fan of "location services" and other tech that spies on us and tracks our every move.

That being said, when I am at home I very much enjoy "escaping" from the tech. That is one reason we bought an A. Model A Fords, wooden sailboats, and taildraggers for me!!
Old 08-19-2021, 02:43 PM   #3
Y-Blockhead

What freaks me out more than the automation on new cars is when I search for an item on the internet, then, a minute later I start getting ads for what I was searching for. Kind of scary "THEY" know what I am looking for that FAST...

Just the other day my wife and I were perusing the specs on refrigerators. Now every time I log on I have ads for all these different brands of refrigerators...
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 02:45 PM   #4
mhsprecher

I don’t like these new features much, either, but none of my cars have it. All my cars have manual transmissions. Maybe the automatic braking feature will cut down on the rear end collisions we see.
1939 Deluxe Fordor
1945 pickup
1951 Custom convertible
mhsprecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 02:54 PM   #5
Patrick L.

I was born and brought up in the auto business, I don't like what is happening. But, its inevitable I guess.
There was a time when there wasn't anything I couldn't fix, but, not now. I can't fix this new stuff. But, I know a number of people with problems that none of the shops including dealers can't fix.
I'm in the market for a new vehicle and not sure what to do, who will fix it if it breaks. I suppose I could get an 'A' delivery or pick up.
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 02:59 PM   #6
wrndln

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Y-Blockhead,
I have been told that Google and probably other search websites collect your information including your travel and sell it. That is why I use Duckduckgo.com for all my searches. They state that they don't collect and/or sell you private information. I believe that is true, but who knows. However, I do NOT get a slew of ads and other stuff when I do a search for something on the internet, so it seems true.
Rusty Nelson

Last edited by wrndln; 08-19-2021 at 03:48 PM.
wrndln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 04:57 PM   #7
nkaminar

I turned off all tracking and location on my computer so when I search for something I do not get adds for what I was searching for. It is a little complicated to do but doable.

I just spend 4 hours trying to hook up the GPS system on my new car and at the end found out that I would have to turn on Siri and location services on my phone. So, guess what, the Garmin goes in the new car. My wife things I am paranoid. And I guess I am. I just don't like Big Brother watching my every move. It is bad enough that new cars record everything and transmit it all. I love my Model A.
The clutch always sticks, and starts with a jerk.
My car grows red hair, and flies through the air.
Driving's a blast, a blast from the past.
nkaminar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 05:24 PM   #8
Y-Blockhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrndln View Post
Y-Blockhead,
I have been told that Google and probably other search websites collect your information including your travel and sell it. That is why I use Duckduckgo.com for all my searches. They state that they don't collect and/or sell you private information. I believe that is true, but who knows. However, I do NOT get a slew of ads and other stuff when I do a search for something on the internet, so it seems true.
Rusty Nelson
Thanks Rusty. I'm going to try it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkaminar View Post
I just spend 4 hours trying to hook up the GPS system on my new car and at the end found out that I would have to turn on Siri and location services on my phone. So, guess what, the Garmin goes in the new car.
I prefer my older Garmin Nuvi 65 (free maps and traffic included) over the GPS in my wife's new car. Much simpler to use IMO and it seems they are hitting me up all the time to "update" the maps. I have two of the same model, one in my Modern Truck and one in the Model A. Even the curser fits in.

Attached Images
File Type: jpeg Garmin.jpeg (88.1 KB, 255 views)

Last edited by Y-Blockhead; 08-19-2021 at 05:58 PM.
Old 08-19-2021, 06:14 PM   #9
Synchro909

In this morning's news, Toyota is cutting car production by 40% because of a chip shortage. There has been a shortage for quite a long time and it seems things are not getting any better. I've never even driven a car with a reversing camera let alone all that other crap. All I need is my neck-top computer. Maybe this shortage will see some of those "features" dropped from future models and maybe even we start using points and coil ignition again. (I doubt that will happen but.....)
If any of that happens, there will be people (young) who can't manage but it won't do them any harm to learn to drive rather than rely on a silicone chip.
Old 08-19-2021, 06:28 PM   #10
Y-Blockhead

Ford Trucks parked at Kentucky Speedway... https://youtu.be/L6x0SEPxT3c
Old 08-19-2021, 07:55 PM   #11
updraught

We hired a new car in the UK before Covid and the sensors kept going off on those narrow roads with hedges. You are so close to the edge of the road the weeds make the alarm beep constantly. The lane monitor gives up, then comes back on and beeps and gives up. Reversing scares the crap outa you with all the warning bells and the lack of vision out the back. Very frugal hybrid tho.
updraught is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 08:14 PM   #12
Jeff/Illinois

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrndln View Post
Y-Blockhead,
I have been told that Google and probably other search websites collect your information including your travel and sell it. That is why I use Duckduckgo.com for all my searches.
Rusty Nelson
Rusty we went over to DuckDuckGo last winter and man what a difference. We aren't getting all of the crap we used to be bombarded with using GOOGLE.

I'm no big fan of high technology for I see it making us slaves more and more, a little at a time.

Now they are going to put on VMT--- Vehicle Mileage Tax and charge you per mile for every mile you drive. Easy to do with the tracking devices they have been installing in new cars for the last 20 years. I can kinda see that with all electric cars but not gasoline and diesel powered cars and trucks we already pay tax at the pump.

Govt. hates you getting good fuel mileage they want that gasoline tax in their pockets. Now they have another source of your money.
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 10:18 PM   #13
Synchro909

Another good reason to drive the A. They can't track how far you have driven/. Who thinks that the taxes on fuel will be removed if/when a mileage tax is introduced. Don't stampede me!
Old 08-19-2021, 11:04 PM   #14
SeaSlugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synchro909 View Post
In this morning's news, Toyota is cutting car production by 40% because of a chip shortage. There has been a shortage for quite a long time and it seems things are not getting any better. I've never even driven a car with a reversing camera let alone all that other crap. All I need is my neck-top computer. Maybe this shortage will see some of those "features" dropped from future models and maybe even we start using points and coil ignition again. (I doubt that will happen but.....)
If any of that happens, there will be people (young) who can't manage but it won't do them any harm to learn to drive rather than rely on a silicone chip.
The reverse camera along with tpms and traction control are all federally mandates now in the US and have been for years. Honestly i like the reverse cameras, i can put it in reverse to back out somewhere and see down the road/parking lane for quite a distance. Great when your parked along a building/wall/shrub/tall vehicle and cant see out your windows. With modern cars being inherently safer when hit from all directions they had to make door sill heights higher and fatter A B and C pillars which all contribute to poor outward visibility. Part of the reason backup cameras were mandated is because with the rise of suvs which naturally have larger blindspots directly behind them too many kids were getting run over as they arent tall enough to be seen by mirrors alone. Heck with my fullsize stock silverado the roof of a stock 1997 civic comes up to the bed side. I cant see them or similar cars in my passenger side blind spot.

But yes im not fond of tpms systems and traction control. I honestly really hate abs brakes on snow.
Old 08-20-2021, 06:06 AM   #15
Oldbluoval

I’m ok with some of it. Lane departure is not for me. ABS has its place.Cruise control is good for long interstate trips. I like cameras. Basically, I don’t much like inanimate things
“Thinking for me”
I think when self driving vehicles are common, I’ll not travel roads that have speed limits over 45 mph. Or just stay home/at shop!
Oldbluoval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2021, 07:44 AM   #16
77Birdman

My newest car is a 2014 Mustang which is my wifes car. It has no touch screen and I know its heavily reliant on a computer but it doesnt really impede with daily operation. Which is just fine for me. My 06 F150 seems like a 1950 jeep compared to new vehicles and I will be reluctantly replacing it in the very near future. I have no need for all the frills and thrills and gadgets on new cars. Key, gas pedal and a couple of rear view mirrors have worked fine for me for the last 40 years.
77Birdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2021, 08:06 AM   #17
Big hammer

I hate learning to drive a new to me car/truck all the extra junk that you don't need !!! Maybe if all that extra junk wasn't in there the drivers wouldnt have to rely on the car to drive its self !!! But then with the model A's all that extra junk GAV, TIMING LEVER, HEAD LIGHT SWITCH just set that junk and never adjust it again (lol). My dad said that calculators would make people more stupid, now I think cars are making drivers dumber drivers.
Old 08-20-2021, 08:26 AM   #18
Jeff/Illinois

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77Birdman View Post
.......... My 06 F150 seems like a 1950 jeep compared to new vehicles and I will be reluctantly replacing it in the very near future.
We're still driving our '98 F-150 and it is a great truck.

It's so old it has a cassette player, no CD player or of course Bluetooth or any of that stuff. When's the last time you saw that!

Naw I'm with you guys I don't need 90% of the gadgets they are putting on vehicles today, and we're paying for that.
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2021, 09:19 AM   #19
Y-Blockhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big hammer View Post
My dad said that calculators would make people more stupid, now I think cars are making drivers dumber drivers.
I agree with your Dad. Spell check on computers too!
Old 08-20-2021, 09:47 AM   #20
TerryO

You didn't buy a new car, you bought the box that the computer came in...

TOB
TerryO is offline   Reply With Quote