Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-24-2013, 05:02 PM   #1
Ian NZ

Default Ford Distributor Stroboscope

I have just bought a Ford Distributor Stroboscope of a Ford Dealer which has been stored in the back shed for several years.
What I would like to obtain is copies off, or the Electrical or the Mechanical drawings, or specifications of this model stroboscope similar to the one in the photo.
Would anyone know where I can obtain these drawings etc.
Thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ford distributor tester.jpg (44.6 KB, 161 views)
Ian NZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 09:38 PM   #2
Lawson Cox

Default Re: Ford Distributor Stroboscope

Gooble or Bing Ford distributor strobscope and see what you find. Include model number if you have if. Maybe Bubba could help you. He posts here all the time. If it makes spark he can fix it.

It is better to be seen, than viewed.

"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm".
Lawson Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 09:50 PM   #3
Ken/Alabama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian NZ View Post
I have just bought a Ford Distributor Stroboscope of a Ford Dealer which has been stored in the back shed for several years.
What I would like to obtain is copies off, or the Electrical or the Mechanical drawings, or specifications of this model stroboscope similar to the one in the photo.
Would anyone know where I can obtain these drawings etc.
Thanks.
I think I may have the information your looking for. Wil check tomorrow.
Ken/Alabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 12:29 AM   #4
Ian NZ

Ken, That will be great, Thank you
Old 06-25-2013, 08:38 AM   #5
nobuckets

I have one as well and I have been emailing with a fellow in Iowa about getting the schematics and other info. I haven't gotten them yet, but will post here if I do.
nobuckets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 08:55 AM   #6
larrys40

Ken,
Are you the one that e-mailed me about the schematics? I will have to see about copying the sets I have. They are fragile of course and I believe I have the small repair manuals on them as well.... I have a few spare parts and another set to go pick up I bought some time back... let me know specifically what you may need.

Ian, I would be cautious with the wire harnesses. The insulation in these is notorious for being hard and cracking.... you don't want to blow any tubes or power supplies/units. Inspect all to make sure they are OK before power up. I just used my stroboscope the other day on a '40 distributor.. I've been using them for almost 30 years with only one problem along the way.... not too bad in my book. They sure make the difference in making them run better.

Will advise on schematic copying...
Larry S
larrys40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 09:44 AM   #7
Ken/Alabama

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrys40 View Post
Ken,
Are you the one that e-mailed me about the schematics? I will have to see about copying the sets I have. They are fragile of course and I believe I have the small repair manuals on them as well.... I have a few spare parts and another set to go pick up I bought some time back... let me know specifically what you may need.

Ian, I would be cautious with the wire harnesses. The insulation in these is notorious for being hard and cracking.... you don't want to blow any tubes or power supplies/units. Inspect all to make sure they are OK before power up. I just used my stroboscope the other day on a '40 distributor.. I've been using them for almost 30 years with only one problem along the way.... not too bad in my book. They sure make the difference in making them run better

Larry S
Hi Larry, It wasnt me.
Ken/Alabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 10:32 AM   #8
BUBBAS IGNITION

The Ford foundation has one in their museum in Auburn Indiana as well. They may have some paperwork....interesting machine for sure....
Anyone know who made this unit , maybe Allen Testproducts ??
BUBBAS IGNITION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 10:52 AM   #9
Bruce Lancaster
Member Emeritus

There were I think at least two...pretty sure the manuals gave the source name, not Allen but I cannot remember it.
The machines were pretty thoroughly covered in the service bulletins around 1934 or so, and there were instructions also in the later bulletins. Heyer??
Bruce Lancaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 01:19 PM   #10
nobuckets

Hi Larry -

It is me, Ken, that has been emailing with you. I appreciate your help with the schematics and other paperwork. I know these other guys do to.

Thanks,
Ken
nobuckets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 03:02 PM   #11
larrys40

These were made by Heyer Products... the earlier test set was the H1 unit, I believe first coming out in late 1933-34 ( shown in the early service bulletins) and evolved a little including the BRS and stroboscope additions as well as the battery charger (internal) until they came out with the later air powered stroboscope unit and Diagnosis set in '47 and '48. I have a pair of them that I refurbished back in the mid '80's and they have been working great ever since. They are a great tool for load testing coils, condensers, and of course rebuilding/strobing the distributors. It's one of my forte's . If I can have luck posting photos I will later. Mine came out of the back of a bus in Ozark Missouri where they were stored after being rescued from an old Ford Dealer. They still have the orginal warranty claim tags in the drawers. They weren't used much back then. Probably because they were fairly complex and more than the average mechanic wanted to deal with. I'm sure Bubba's will agree.. but when rebuilt and set up properly.. .there is a world of difference in performance.

I will see what I can do pulling/copying some of my material and be back to you guys.
thx.
Larry Shepard
St. Charles, MO

Almost forgot.. I know there was a place down in Arizona at one time that had tubes ( they are kinda generic). Antique radio supply. do the google thing and see what you can come up with. You can compare the numbers and send them photos of yours to make sure they get matched up. Most of the cabinets became homes to mice to make sure things are clean and rodent free.
larrys40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 05:03 PM   #12
Ian NZ

Ian, I would be cautious with the wire harnesses. The insulation in these is notorious for being hard and cracking.... you don't want to blow any tubes or power supplies/units. Inspect all to make sure they are OK before power up. I just used my stroboscope the other day on a '40 distributor.. I've been using them for almost 30 years with only one problem along the way.... not too bad in my book. They sure make the difference in making them run better.

Larry S[/QUOTE]

Larry S. - Thanks for the information about the harness. The Stroboscope works but the vacuum pump requires attention and I want to check out the air motor and replace the H.T. wiring but I require some more information before I service it.
Old 09-20-2013, 06:49 PM   #13
mdsbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrys40 View Post
Ken,
I will have to see about copying the sets I have. They are fragile of course and I believe I have the small repair manuals on them as well.... I have a few spare parts and another set to go pick up I bought some time back... let me know specifically what you may need.

Larry S
I realize I'm jumping in on this kind of late, but I am also trying to get copies of the schematics for the stroboscope. I've been able to get a copy of the repair manual (Thanks Ian).
Can anyone help with schematics?

Thanks,
Bob
mdsbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 03:31 PM   #14
Lawrie

Ian , I dont know where in NZ you are,but Horipito has a couple of the testers,one I looked at had all the manuals in the drawer,you may be able to copy them.
Lawrie
Lawrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 05:06 PM   #15
Ian NZ

Lawrie, Thanks for the information I will follow it up, I live in Hawera, Taranaki,
My son Grant is restoring Hombre the dragster.
Old 09-22-2013, 02:13 AM   #16
Dave D

Oh boy could I use a set of those drawings/semantics too!
Dave D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 04:31 PM   #17
Lawrie

Ian I tried for years to buy one of the testers there,the one in the shed with the model A,s in by the 44 g drums is the complete one you need to look at,
If they will sell it now let me know.
Lawrie
Old 10-20-2013, 03:19 PM   #18
Ian NZ

Lawrie- I do not know if I have informed you but I have been in touch with Barbara of Horipito Motors and she remarked they had two Ford Distributor stroboscopes there, and you could make up one out of the two of them, but they are not for sale, I asked her about the 'ELECTRICAL SCHEMATICS' for these stroboscopes but she said they could have more information on them but their library was not organised at the moment, so I am still trying to find the Electrical Schematics for this 1949 model of the Ford Distributor stroboscope.
Old 10-20-2013, 03:49 PM   #19
Lawrie

Ian, the books are in the drawer of the one by the Model A,s.
Lawrie
Old 10-20-2013, 04:14 PM   #20
V12Bill

I found instructions and parts manuals on E pay for my Sun distributor tester as well as parts and other items.
V12Bill is offline   Reply With Quote