Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-19-2017, 03:10 PM   #101
FlatheadTed

Send a message via AIM to FlatheadTed
Default Re: What's wrong with this picture?

Not sure if any one has considered this but When I restored my 35 I noticed the U joint torque tub moving under the clam ,so I packed over the ball with Teflon shims. Also Henry doesn't the 47 have a chatter rods going forward to the front cross member . its the same set up so what keeps it stable. Ted

Flathead Ted brake Floaters ,
FlatheadTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 03:26 PM   #102
Old Henry

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlatheadTed View Post
Not sure if any one has considered this but When I restored my 35 I noticed the U joint torque tub moving under the clam ,so I packed over the ball with Teflon shims. Also Henry doesn't the 47 have a chatter rods going forward to the front cross member . its the same set up so what keeps it stable. Ted
No chatter rods on a 47.
Old 04-19-2017, 03:27 PM   #103
rotorwrench

Rag lint on the threads. The threads appear to be rolled instead of cut. This is common for high strength fasteners.

They made kits back in the day that added a sort of anti-chatter capturing device from the bottom of the transmission to the frame. Folks have posted photographs of them on this forum but I haven't seen one for a while.

Last edited by rotorwrench; 04-19-2017 at 05:23 PM.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 04:36 PM   #104
Ronnie

Those appear to be arp bolts and covered in pocket lint. Nothing wrong with them.Blow them off with compressed air and install with loctite and you are good to go.They are a 12 point socket head.A 6 point socket will not fit.Walk into a local parts house and take the bolt with you and they will put the correct socket in your hands.Aircraft have ton's of 12 point bolts and nuts.A 12 point socket will also fit 6 point.This isn't rocket science.Be sure to use loctite and all is well.The shoulder on the bolt is required for the flywheel it will work.

R
Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 04:52 PM   #105
Old Henry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie View Post
Those appear to be arp bolts and covered in pocket lint. Nothing wrong with them.Blow them off with compressed air and install with loctite and you are good to go.They are a 12 point socket head.A 6 point socket will not fit.Walk into a local parts house and take the bolt with you and they will put the correct socket in your hands.Aircraft have ton's of 12 point bolts and nuts.A 12 point socket will also fit 6 point.This isn't rocket science.Be sure to use loctite and all is well.The shoulder on the bolt is required for the flywheel it will work.

R
They are ARP part number P10AP.750-1.

Last edited by Old Henry; 04-19-2017 at 05:13 PM.
Old Henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 05:01 PM   #106
Ronnie

Compare them to your old bolts you should be fine.ARP don't want washers under their flywheel bolts.I think they are 3/4" hex in 12 point. All should work for you just compare length. They are 7/16"X .750, 3/4 hex, .250" shank and .250" head.

R
Old 04-19-2017, 05:07 PM   #107
Ol' Ron

It's been awhile since I worked on a 59 series engine. I've always thought that all engined had the plate under the flywheel bolts to retain the drive dowels. I've always used the late 8BA flwwheel bolts torqued to #70 lbs. I've never had a problem here. I know that the length of the bolt is critical, as it can hit the main bearing if too long. This may not be of any help, but just something to think about.
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 05:13 PM   #108
Old Henry

I haven't removed my stock bolts yet. When I do, I'll compare them closely with the ARP bolts to see how they compare, then give it some more thought. I have a strong preference for stock unless there is some real compelling reason to replace with something else. I'm not sure this will be such a time.
Old 04-19-2017, 05:22 PM   #109
Ronnie

Those bolts have way more quality than your stock bolts and the stock ones were well designed as well.The arp mentioned are well utilized in high hp drag racing cars not a fire breathing 80 hp flat motor The arp will cure the clutch plate interference if the head is thinner.

R
Old 04-19-2017, 05:29 PM   #110
Old Henry

Quote:
Those bolts have way more quality than your stock bolts and the stock ones were well designed as well.The arp mentioned are well utilized in high hp drag racing cars not a fire breathing 80 hp flat motor
Seems a bit like putting new wine in old bottles. Matthew 9:17
That's why I like to stick with stock.

Last edited by Old Henry; 04-19-2017 at 06:25 PM.
Old 05-01-2017, 06:53 PM   #111
Old Henry

Multiple choice quiz.

Which clutch disc is correct?

A. A

B. B

C. A or B, doesn't matter.

D. Neither are correct.

Left disc, A, just received from Fort Wayne Clutch as replacement for
Right disc, B, previously received from Ft. Wayne Clutch, just removed with springs rubbing on flywheel bolt heads.

Clue:

Green Bible diagram of the clutch. Looks like a combination of the two. What do you think?

Last edited by Old Henry; 05-02-2017 at 12:19 AM.
Old 05-01-2017, 06:57 PM   #112
Ronnie

You should be asking Ft. Wayne Clutch they will be way more informed on their product than the keyboard jockey's here.

R
Old 05-01-2017, 07:04 PM   #113
Old Henry

Quote:
You should be asking Ft. Wayne Clutch they will be way more informed on their product than the keyboard jockey's here.

R
Unfortunately, both clutch discs were sent to me as correct from Ft. Wayne Clutch.
Old 05-01-2017, 07:32 PM   #114
Ronnie

If i had them in front of me I could confirm the one on the left in a heart beat.
It just needs a critical measurement and you are done.The one on the right when measured will give you the measurement that is much different.You still should make FT, W aware of the difference and get a response from the pic you show us.Just because they sent them to you doesn't make it correct.Talk to a tech guy there and have him walk you through it.I can see from the pic's there is more than one difference.Are both part numbers the same on your invoices? Were they the same price. What are the part numbers?

R

Last edited by Ronnie; 05-01-2017 at 07:46 PM.
Old 05-01-2017, 11:27 PM   #115
Drbrown

Old henry .... No anti-chatter rods on your '47 ?? My late '47 has them. Bell housing/frame have matching numbers.
Drbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 12:09 AM   #116
Old Henry

I have now looked at every clutch disc for the 47 passenger car that I could find on the internet from every source, including all the pictures I ever took of my previous clutch discs, and they are all like the new one. The only one that I found that looks like my old one was for a T-5 transmission and different flywheel.

So, mystery solved. The reason my clutch springs rubbed on my flywheel bolt heads was none of the reasons any of us guessed. It was simply the wrong clutch disc sent to me by Ft. Wayne clutch 2½ years ago, nothing more. Those much smaller springs on the correct disc will never come even close to my flywheel bolt heads. So, I don't need to do anything to them, not grind them nor replace them, and all will be well. And, if that rubbing was contributing to my clutch chatter, that may well be gone.

If anyone has greater enlightenment than this please share.

Last edited by Old Henry; 05-02-2017 at 12:18 AM.
Old 05-02-2017, 12:39 AM   #117
51 MERC-CT

It sure looks like the one with 6 smaller dia. springs is more likely to be correct.
The larger dia. springs as you say on the one with 5 is most likely the reason for the interference that was experienced and was incorrect to begin with.
Old 05-02-2017, 05:29 AM   #118
dwick01

Glad you got it figured out Professor. Thanks for sharing the information.
dwick01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 11:56 AM   #119
rotorwrench

That one on the left looks more like the 9.5 inch Long type disc used on the 8BA ford cars but they didn't have the same spline. There were and still are aftermarket reproductions being made for these so folks have to keep an eye out for stuff like that. Just because it is made as a replacement doesn't necessarily make it a good fit. I would figure Ft Wayne would be aware of that but if not, someone should make them aware.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote