Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-22-2021, 02:43 PM   #1
Ford coupe

Default engine noise

Brothers 79 granada with rebuilt inline 6 cyl makes a noise that sounds like a faint lifter chatter at first start up..Now if you leave the hood shut i dont think you could hear it but with hood open it does it for maybe 3 to 5 minutes..It is not rods or mains i am positive of that ..The hydrauic lifters were all replaced with new but i suppose one could get bad ones or maybe this is the nature of this vehicle..So maybe someone can fill me in
Ford coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2021, 02:55 PM   #2
drolston

Default Re: engine noise

I don't know that engine, but you might try a bottle of Rislone engine treatment in the oil. If one of the lifters picked up some varnish or other contaminant, it might help clean it. Otherwise, just keep driving it and listen. It it gets better, press on; if it gets worse, you are going to have to tear it down.

Before you do that, be sure to isolate which cylinder has the noise. You can do that with a really long screw driver or socket extension, moving the touch point on the block with the other end pressed to your ear. It will be clearly louder with the touch point near the ticking lifter.
drolston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2021, 04:59 PM   #3
Ggmac

Have you been using oil with zinc in it ? Were the lifters installed on an old cam ? Were they broken in correctly . The
Ggmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2021, 06:53 PM   #4
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford coupe View Post
brothers 79 granada with rebuilt inline 6 cyl makes a noise that sounds like a faint lifter chatter at first start up..now if you leave the hood shut i dont think you could hear it but with hood open it does it for maybe 3 to 5 minutes..it is not rods or mains i am positive of that ..the hydrauic lifters were all replaced with new but i suppose one could get bad ones or maybe this is the nature of this vehicle..so maybe someone can fill me in
were the lifters soaked in oil for a day or two prior to installation? If not, on occasison, they will not fully "prime".
Old 08-22-2021, 10:17 PM   #5
50fordcoupeman

Maybe some MMO down the carb while running to see if it quiets down??
50fordcoupeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2021, 05:09 AM   #6
big job

It only takes a few minutes to remove valve cover and feel each rocker 'look listen and
feel' also watch the push rods. Also does it make noise with no load? does it go away
under load? I ask that because a bad wrist pin bushing you would bet your life it was
a lifter. I had that happen with a 391FT rebuilt by a known re-builder. I was convinced that it was not a lifter, so I dropped the pan and visually saw a rod bushing sticking out of a rod and with a long screwdriver I could easily slide it in so that means remove all pistons and rods. My best guess is they resized the rods and just installed bushings.. They failed to measure the rod bores; wrist pin bushings ARE
made oversize for that reason. That was 20 yrs ago and today its as quiet as a cat.
big job is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2021, 05:40 PM   #7
cadillac512

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford coupe View Post
Brothers 79 granada with rebuilt inline 6 cyl makes a noise that sounds like a faint lifter chatter at first start up..Now if you leave the hood shut i dont think you could hear it but with hood open it does it for maybe 3 to 5 minutes..It is not rods or mains i am positive of that ..The hydrauic lifters were all replaced with new but i suppose one could get bad ones or maybe this is the nature of this vehicle..So maybe someone can fill me in

I've rebuilt a couple of the "small block" Ford sixes (200 and 250 cu.in.) and they do have a tendency (at least with with current lifters) to tick a while after startup. It acts like a bit of air trapped in the hydraulic plunger that doesn't bleed out for a minute or two. Once the engine is warm, all is quiet and won't tick again until it sits overnight or longer. No harm comes from it...just a bit irritating on a fresh engine. That '79 won't have adjustable rockers, but one of the two I built did have and I tried more "lifter preload" and it acted the same so that's not the issue. Since the head has to come off to swap lifters it isn't handy to try a different set either. I just drove mine.

Terry

p.s. No pin bushings in that six...press fit pins in the rods.

'41 Merc Town Sedan / 260" 8CM engine
'66 Fairlane four door / "warmed up" 302
cadillac512 is offline   Reply With Quote