Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-14-2018, 01:52 PM   #241
GordonC

Default Re: Rebuilt Flathead Problems.

Bored&Stroked here is what I have. My valves are 4.890" to about 4.905". Not sure if they were ground on the end or not as some of what the builder did I cannot be sure of. These are 2 groove valves with the groove closest to the end of the valve supposedly for the lock and the other for the seal. The above not withstanding I again measured my installed height, and thank you by the way as your question made me recheck all my measurements. Earlier I had confused myself by adding a ford valve installed height (2.125") into what I was doing and that just made things worse as my thinking then became I had to somehow match that measurement using the chevy valve and springs. So this morning I installed a chevy valve with a normal retainer (not rotator) and lock in the second groove of the chevy valve with the horseshoe clip. I got an installed height of 1.950". So with that as my working height I measured a spring at that height and got about 50 lbs. I added a .060" lower spring retainer (Gary's machined ones) to the spring and checked it again and got 58 lbs. So I have assembled my valves using that info and process. I know there are folks who come out on either side of using the second groove and not using it but to be honest the lock seems to fit better in that groove than the other one. Plus some of the folks who say it is ok are guys that have done a serious amount of flatheads. So good enough for them is good enough for me.

I still have 2 issues. First is I still need 1 more normal type retainer if anybody has 1? Happy to pay for it plus shipping. Second is I need to install the seals on the intake guides. Does anybody have any tips on making this easier?
GordonC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 04:49 PM   #242
tubman

Gordon, do you need the round piece that goes above the two keepers and supports the bottom of the spring? I think they are different for rotating and non-rotating valves. I am almost positive I have some of both kinds. I didn't get to my shop today, but I will tomorrow. I'll lete you know tomorrow afternoon.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 05:22 PM   #243
Ronnie

You can choose here
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Valve and Springs.JPG (68.1 KB, 85 views)
Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 05:48 PM   #244
GordonC

Tubman I need the regular retainer/keeper. There is a pic of it in post #221. Its part #6514 in Ronnies picture above. Thanks Ronnie! And thanks Tubman!
Old 02-14-2018, 06:23 PM   #245
tubman

OK. I'll send a couple. I had to ask because there are so many valve types that have been mentioned that my head is swimming.
Old 02-14-2018, 06:49 PM   #246
GordonC

Tubman I hear that. I have had 3 sets of springs, now 4. Multiple sets of valves, chevy and Ford. Two types of retainers/keepers. Multiple sets of guides, one set completely machined. Three different install heights! Man my head is spinning too!
Old 02-22-2018, 08:07 PM   #247
GordonC

Guys I have finally started installing the valves now that I have gotten all the parts needed. Got through most of them pretty well but did damage 2 of the guides and need replacements. Thanks Gary! That was probably more due to my inexperience with the pickle fork than anything else. Had a real difficult time of it until I ground the leading edge of the fork fingers down a bit. Once I did that I could get the fingers through the progressive wound spring and onto the guide for a decent register and that allowed me to pull em down and install the clips. For those that are still tuned in I used chevy 1.5" valves. I used the top regular lock groove on the valve. Normal retainers, not the rotators. I used a 2.480" spring. I had to use 5 .060" shims plus Gary's retainer which is also .060". This gave me the 67 lbs pressure I wanted. I set the lash at .010"/.012" for the intakes and .014"/.016" for the exhaust.

This thread has gotten way longer than I had ever dreamed but was a good exchange. Going forward with the rest of the reassembly, install, and attempted fire up of the motor, I am going to do a separate post for that as it should be pretty straight forward. (Kiss of death right there!) Anyway here are a couple of pics.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180222_162256.jpg (69.0 KB, 98 views)
File Type: jpg 20180222_162643.jpg (41.8 KB, 79 views)
File Type: jpg 20180222_162703.jpg (36.4 KB, 83 views)
Old 02-22-2018, 08:43 PM   #248
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Making real progress!
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 09:29 PM   #249
tubman

Gordon,

Keep at it! I'm sure the results will be worth it! If nothing else, it will help a lot of other folks here facing the same problems.

Denny
Old 02-23-2018, 03:08 AM   #250
Mart

Glad you are making real progress. I have one of those long bar forks and a much older one from back in the day. The end of the older one has quite a lot of subtle details in the shape of the fork.

Keep up the good work.

Mart.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 01:17 PM   #251
52 Ford

It may be my comprehension problems ,But i do not understand the zip tie way of finding TDC. Put the zip tie in the spark plug hole and rotate engine clockwise until what stops? then turn engine in counter clockwise until it hits what stop? Confused.
52 Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 01:20 PM   #252
flatjack9

The piston
flatjack9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 02:36 PM   #253
52 Ford

So you turn engine by hand until the zip tie stops going down. Hold the zip tie in that position and turn motor counter clockwise until it hits the zip tie again? Won't it hit the zip tie immediately?
52 Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 03:22 PM   #254
Mart

No. The zip tie stops it getting to the top. You then wind the motor in the other direction until the piston goes all the way down, and back up again and comes to rest against the zip tie.

I did a video on it which might help..

https://youtu.be/dn446jjCVRg

This one is similar but better, but only shows solid stop.

https://youtu.be/XDlNSuW-47Q

Mart.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 05:08 PM   #255
RKS.PA

Thank you, Mart. I found the first video very helpful!!
RKS.PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 07:00 PM   #256
32Gnu

Resurrecting a thread like this makes me cringe. But I think I perhaps may be a tooth off.
Going with WaltÂ’s method here my timing mark is approximately an inch past the TDC Mark.
My engine has a bad stumble that all the money in the world has not remedied after reassembly. Was a great running motor with no issues. Anyone care to talk me out of pulling the radiator and grille shell off before the morning ? ItÂ’s all half apart now anyways.
32Gnu is offline   Reply With Quote