Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-18-2015, 08:26 PM   #1
ODFever

Default Exhaust manifold heat shield

I recently installed a muffler heat shield I bought from Mike's. It definitely reduces the heat radiating from the muffler, which makes my wife much happier. My wife told me that her feet were still getting hot though. After looking under the hood, I discovered that heat she feels is coming from the exhaust manifold and vertical muffler pipe. I want to build a heat shield for the vertical portion of the exhaust manifold and the muffler pipe since that's the source of the heat entering the cabin. I can attach a piece of galvanized steel to the manifold and the pipe. I'm not sure how to bend it around the muffler clamp and still have room to clear the throttle armature and the GAV rod. The steel also needs to fit between the rear engine brace/mount and the pipe. Do y'all have any ideas as to how I could build a heat shield like this?

Thanks!
Old 04-18-2015, 09:13 PM   #2
oldbike99

Default Re: Exhaust manifold heat shield

There is another thread going on right now that may be another option. The product is Dynamat, and is used for both sound and heat insulation. It is a flexible mat that is applied to the floorboards.
I do not know how to link to the thread. So a search for "sound deaden"
oldbike99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 05:24 AM   #3
Tim B.

Make a couple of short z brackets out of some off the shelf 90 degree steel outside corner brackets and pop rivet or bolt them to the shield and hose clamp to the pipe.

If you don't mind the look there is also an insulated wrap used for headers that may work for you.
Tim B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 07:39 AM   #4
rocket1

how about header wrap.
rocket1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 08:33 AM   #5
Terry, NJ

Install a heater! The box that goes over the heater manifold is a heat shield. Plus you'll have heat in the winter.
Terry
Terry, NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 08:56 AM   #6
Y-Blockhead

You can get firewall insulation http://www.snydersantiqueauto.com/3308 then Dynamat under the carpet http://www.amazon.com/Dynamat-10455-...ywords=dynamat

More ideas here; https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=166521
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 06:24 PM   #7
ODFever

Thanks for the links to the other threads. I am looking for a different approach - diverting the engine heat away from the cabin. I want all of my additions to my beautiful Alyssa to be easily reversed. I have an Auto-Lite heater and manifold. I took the box off for the summer with the hope that it would be cooler with it removed.
Terry - your post gave me an idea! I will put the heater box back on and use foil duct tape to divert the heat towards the bottom of the car. I'm also thinking about modifying a small piece of 4" dryer vent line. If I cut it in half and flared it slightly, I could fit it around the muffler clamp. I can secure it with hose clamps.
Old 04-19-2015, 06:33 PM   #8
ODFever

This is a picture of the engine.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (60.9 KB, 200 views)
Old 04-19-2015, 09:35 PM   #9
Terry, NJ

When I first answered your post, I didn't realize that you lived in Fla. I don't know how cold it gets, but I doubt it would require a heater. Your best bet would probably be to attach a heat shielding material to the floor boards. I made shields for my coupe and T.S. but it still gets hot in the summer. And I have a heater box on the manifold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODFever View Post
Thanks for the links to the other threads. I am looking for a different approach - diverting the engine heat away from the cabin. I want all of my additions to my beautiful Alyssa to be easily reversed. I have an Auto-Lite heater and manifold. I took the box off for the summer with the hope that it would be cooler with it removed.
Terry - your post gave me an idea! I will put the heater box back on and use foil duct tape to divert the heat towards the bottom of the car. I'm also thinking about modifying a small piece of 4" dryer vent line. If I cut it in half and flared it slightly, I could fit it around the muffler clamp. I can secure it with hose clamps.
Terry, NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 12:08 AM   #10
kevinmac/toledo

my 71 vette came from factory with heat sheilds on floor... sheets of tin with brackets to hold a space away from floor....nice setup bigblock too...lots of heat....kev idea?
kevinmac/toledo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 05:58 AM   #11
Bob Bidonde

Firewall Sealing.jpgLine the exterior surfaces of both front floor boards with bare aluminum. The firewall itself is a radiation shield. A significant amount of warm air gets into the 1930 & '31 cars via the joint between the cowl tank and the firewall. Put sealer along the joint.
Old 04-20-2015, 01:04 PM   #12
1931 flamingo

If not a perfectionist, apply the dynamat or similar to the firewall and floor. I would be wary of a shield like you propose as it may put the heat towards the carb and cause vapor lock ().
JMO
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 03:28 PM   #13
mikebowling

Put the insulation on the INSIDE of the firewall , and cover it with something painted a dark color ( or even a piece of matching carpet material)?? That keeps the engine compartment neat, but forms a heat barrier to the interior of the car. Floor matts would help also. ( or an air conditioner!)
mikebowling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 11:38 PM   #14
lnvmyrick

Just a thought....removable heat shields....Use a small sheet of 1/4" concrete Hardiboard cut to the size you need.
Fasten it to the manifold or to the muffler on each end with electrical 1 1/4 step off clamps. use fender washers to support the hardiboard where the holes are drilled for the clamps. You can paint the hardiboard with heat paint . The entire assy is removable easily. You will also need to use neverseize on the bolts that clamp to the exhaust manifold or exhaust pipe.....like I stated...just a thought.
lnvmyrick is offline   Reply With Quote