Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-29-2013, 01:48 PM   #1
Dobie Gillis

Talking The Unthinkable

This is probably not the proper venue for this question; if not I'm sure I'll get suggestions on where to go.... I have a '55 Merc with a pretty tired 292, appears to be original judging by casting numbers. I'm in the consideration stage of deciding whether to have the Y freshened up or swap in a Windsor small block. The 292 is the low compression 188 HP version, so I'm comparing cost estimates between building it for more power vs swapping in a mild crate engine. It looks like I can buy maybe 1 1/2 crate engines for the same cost as building the Y. But here's the caviat: the trans is a column shift T-85 with OD and I want to keep it. I have searched the web high and low and have not found an adapter for such a swap. So my question to this august college of Fomoco knowledge is this: Has anyone here done this swap? If so what was involved? Any insights appreciated...
Dobie Gillis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 03:11 PM   #2
Dana Barlow

Default Re: The Unthinkable

a BUDDY PUT A fE 390 into a a 56 ford back in 1962,thing was bad fast at the time. He said it want in fairly EZ.
Dana Barlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 05:54 PM   #3
sprink88

FE's are your better choice. I think you may need to turn one around, but they use the same motor mounts.

I bought a 351 for my '57. I then found a 292 on craigslist cheaper than the cost of messing with that windsor.
sprink88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 06:02 PM   #4
miker98038

I'm very partial to y blocks, but one caveat. Before you go to an FE, make sure it is a T-85, not a T-86, and that it is the R-11, not the R-10 o/d. I know the HD units weren't in the birds in 55, but many were changed out. The 86 will work, but don't drop the clutch with good traction. Don't ask how I know.
miker98038 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 06:26 PM   #5
streetdreams

Location: Howell, Michigan, USA, The Peoples Slightly Overspent Demodependancy of Michigan

I'm curious. How much does the crate engine you're looking at cost?
streetdreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 06:31 PM   #6
JeffB2

Ask here:http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/g...hp?groupid=332 We have done a ton of swaps Wilcap is the oldest adapter company in the USA over 60 years + call them about the transmisssion adapter 805-481-9367
JeffB2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 07:54 PM   #7
Y-Blockhead

I may be a little partial but NOTHING looks better or sounds better than a Y-Block in a mid-fifties Ford.

Like Miker says, check the trans and OD before putting a lot of power to it.
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 08:47 PM   #8
paul2748

A small block, 302 or 351 would be a good choice. 302's go in with stock mounts but the trans adaption can be a problem as it will be with a FE. FE's go in pretty easy (but probably not as easy as a 302), but its very tight and you might have to go with heavier springs.
paul2748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 08:03 AM   #9
Dobie Gillis

Quote:
Originally Posted by miker98038 View Post
I'm very partial to y blocks, but one caveat. Before you go to an FE, make sure it is a T-85, not a T-86, and that it is the R-11, not the R-10 o/d. I know the HD units weren't in the birds in 55, but many were changed out. The 86 will work, but don't drop the clutch with good traction. Don't ask how I know.
It's definitely a T-85 w/R-11. I went through several levels of Hell trying to find a tailshaft seal for it because all the books/catalogs list the T-86 seal for a '55. I think what happened is my car was built late in the '55 model year, just before they started building '56s with the 312 and T-85; they probably ran out of T-86s and starting using the T-85 a little early. Lucky me! Turns out the seal also fits several automatics up into the 70s.

An FE would be an option, but I'd be hoping for something that gets a bit better gas mileage, something FE's aren't known for. This is all in the kicking around stage at the moment and I probably wouldn't do anything until winter unless the 292 decides to give up the ghost.
Old 04-30-2013, 10:41 AM   #10
Dobie Gillis

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetdreams View Post
I'm curious. How much does the crate engine you're looking at cost?
I've been surfing various crate suppliers just see what's out there and to get an idea of pricing. Prices are all over the place, but here's a few examples.

Performance Unlimited has a 347 ci 350 hp stroker for $6400 (turnkey)

Summit has a 306/340 hp long block for $3699 and a 347/400 hp long block for $3995

Stock rebuilds:

PS Engines has a 302 long block for $1439, or a 351 long block for $1539

Of course the ancillary costs have to be figgered in; the elusive, possibly custom transmission adapter, mods to the shift linkage and driveshaft and whatever else may be involved. And if going the long block route figure in the cost of an intake and carb, etc, etc.

The problem with rebuilding the 292 is most of the machine shops in my area seem less than enthusiastic about messing with an antique. That may mean it would be a slack time project that would be shoved to the back burner when more bread and butter type work comes through the door.

Decisions, decisions
Old 04-30-2013, 11:15 AM   #11
ken ct
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y-Blockhead View Post
I may be a little partial but NOTHING looks better or sounds better than a Y-Block in a mid-fifties Ford.

Like Miker says, check the trans and OD before putting a lot of power to it.
Nice clean looking setup Blockhead,looks super. ken ct.
ken ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 11:30 AM   #12
miker98038

Their down right now, due to a server problem, but when it's up, go over to the y-blocks-forever site. You won't get any encouragement for an engine change, but there has to be someone there in your area who can recommend a machine shop. For the money and work your looking at for a change, you might also go to John Mummert's site, and look at some of the performance parts. The guy near Seattle who did my machine work did the old motors because doing valve jobs on ricers got boring. You walked in, and there was a nail head, early hemi, tri power Pontiac. Got to be someone like that near you. Ask the guys running other vintage motors if that's what it comes to.
Nice motor, y-blockhead.
miker98038 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 08:10 PM   #13
Noswal

Dobie,
Try Charlie's Machine in Murfreesboro. He's done flatheads, y-blocks and any other Ford engines. Does good work. Did a couple of sets of heads for me (y-block and FE).
615-494-0076
I don't own any interest in his shop and get nothing for this advertisement. Just throwing out an option for saving a y-block.
Also, Shacklett in Nashville is very good with vintage engines. Did some work for my grandson, but I don't have his number handy. There are plenty of folks in middle Tennessee who can do it, but unfortunately there are a few who will say they can but can't. Beware of those.
Noswal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 09:33 PM   #14
junkyardjeff

If you want to keep the original trans a FE with a 58 to 64 bellhousing should work since with flipping the motor mounts it will bolt in,if you decide to get rid of the 292 I have been thinking about trying to find a 55 292 to put in my 55 sunliner. If you want to go with a windsor a 64 and earlier 289 should bolt to your original trans.

Last edited by junkyardjeff; 04-30-2013 at 09:34 PM. Reason: added more words
junkyardjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 12:48 PM   #15
darrell

i put a 289 in a 57 and used the 57 trans,.just drilled out the bell.
darrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 07:47 PM   #16
Dobie Gillis

After much consultation and soul searching I have decided to keep the Y in the Merc. She made it nearly 60 years with it; she's prolly good for another 60 (at which time I'll be, um, a ripe old age). One of the guys on Y-blocks forever (who's also a neighbor, it turns out) suggested a machinist not too far distant he's used with good results. So this week I'll pull the valve covers after work and check for anything obvious. I wonder if he'd be willing to come over and help get those insanely heavy heads off (hint, hint)?

Thanks to everyone for their advice. This is a great forum!
Old 05-01-2013, 09:19 PM   #17
junkyardjeff

I am glad you decided to keep the Y,I put a 351-w in my 55 sunliner and not very happy with it. The nimrod who built the motor stuck in the wrong cam so I am going to build a 292 for it soon,it seemed like the original 272 had more low end torque then the 351 so its going back to a torquey Y block.
junkyardjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 10:23 AM   #18
Y-Blockhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken ct View Post
Nice clean looking setup Blockhead,looks super. ken ct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by miker98038 View Post
Nice motor, y-blockhead.
Thanks Guys, As I'm sure you know lotsa work and a lotsa time...
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote