Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-13-2022, 07:31 PM   #1
GaryU.

Default Flathead Block Heater

Given that this engine was living in a 1939 Coupe in Minnesota it is not surprising that probably during an engine rebuild a block heater was installed. Never have seen one in a flathead before but maybe not that uncommon in the Northern climes? Just a bit of carbon buildup on the pistons(LOL), smooth bores with a tiny ridge at top. No stamp on pistons with an oversize, haven't measured bore yet. Been in a corner of the garage for 4 plus years but ran when pulled! I did hear it run with a rigged up earlier distributor while it was still installed in car. Winter project time is here.
GaryU. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 07:51 PM   #2
Ronnieroadster

Default Re: Flathead Block Heater

My very first vehicle was a 1950 F-1 panel truck there was a block heater on the left side head it was actually really nice replacing the stock head bolt I never used it during the winter since living on the second floor made it impossible to plug it in. The heater is still installed in that engine which is stored waiting for the day I decide to freshen her up and use it once again.
Ronnieroadster
First ever gas burning Ford flathead powered roadster to run 200 MPH at Bonneville Salt Flats setting the record August 7th 2021 at 205.744 MPH
Ronnieroadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 08:38 PM   #3
RalphG

Yes, head bolt heaters were pretty much standard equipment up here in cold country on any engine you planned to start in winter. Dad had one on the 52 Merc. When my brother overhauled the engine in 1980 he did not re-install the head bolt heater as we had no plans of running it in winter. I've got several of the old head bolt heaters saved here. Not sure if any of them work.
RalphG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 09:25 PM   #4
GB SISSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphG View Post
Yes, head bolt heaters were pretty much standard equipment up here in cold country on any engine you planned to start in winter. Dad had one on the 52 Merc. When my brother overhauled the engine in 1980 he did not re-install the head bolt heater as we had no plans of running it in winter. I've got several of the old head bolt heaters saved here. Not sure if any of them work.
Having a 'No start' condition while the roads were covered in salt brine was an excellent idea! Same reason I never installed any windshield wipers on my woodie wagon. I have like 7 vehicles I can drive when it's raining. And I have vehicles here from ND, SD and Minnesota. All had the special head bolt.
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 09:40 PM   #5
RalphG

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB SISSON View Post
Having a 'No start' condition while the roads were covered in salt brine was an excellent idea! Same reason I never installed any windshield wipers on my woodie wagon. I have like 7 vehicles I can drive when it's raining. And I have vehicles here from ND, SD and Minnesota. All had the special head bolt.
The problem was that when you live out in the country maybe ten miles from all the necessities of a small town, it is very important that the old flathead was able to start. And I don't think there was even a fraction of the road salt used back then as they use now. Dad's old Merc probably just rusted out from mud caked on the underside of the fenders and rocker panels.
Old 01-14-2022, 11:37 AM   #6
5851a

http://plainshumanities.unl.edu/ency...oc/egp.ind.027
5851a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 11:38 AM   #7
5851a

My Grandmother had one on her 52 Pontiac 8.
5851a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 01:57 PM   #8
RalphG

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5851a View Post
Not surprising that block heaters would be invented in that cold country. I have not heard that brand before but it seems that James B. Carter cornered the market on block heaters here in Western Canada. Judging by the ones I have accumulated here. I included in this picture one of the newer style frost plug heaters that are the norm now.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Flathead heaters.jpg (49.4 KB, 45 views)
Old 01-14-2022, 03:07 PM   #9
GaryU.

5851a, that is is a great link to the actual manufacturer of mine, thanks for that. Hoping it will be as easy to remove as it probably was installing back in the day. Light snow here today but not a very bad winter so far. Probably jinxed myself for posting that. Hoping for Spring now and not later.
GaryU. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 03:15 PM   #10
Lawrie

I had a MK 7 Jag when first married, in NZ, it had a block heater, it was a thing like an electric jug element that screwed into a large threaded hole in the side of the block, it had a standard 3 pin socket that connected to the 240V house supply.We lived out in the country and in the winter we used to plug it in over night, when you got in to start the water temp was already up.
Lawrie
Lawrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 03:19 PM   #11
flatford8

I’ve never seen a head bolt heater. But I never ran a Flathead in my younger days. I’ve seen dipstick heaters and I used a few that went in the lower rad hose.
I remember my father putting a light bulb on top of the motor and draping a blanket over the fenders to try to keep the motor warm. Tried anything to be able to get to work in the morning…..Mark
Billy Joe Shaver
flatford8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 03:42 PM   #12
JWL
Member Emeritus

This is new to me. I have had my hands on a few[hundred] Flatheads but none with this device{as far as I remember}. I guess this was not a popular option in my limited circle. I wonder how well this performed? It would seem a heater in the temp sender tapped holes might be more efficient? But, it is probable an additional 20 degrees, when ambient is zero, would be helpful.
JWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 03:50 PM   #13
Tim Ayers

I was given one years ago, still in the box. It's somewhere in my stash. This one was designed to go into one of the head studs that hits water. The gentleman who gave it to me was an Eastern Airlines mechanic in Newark, NJ. They used them on the tug trucks since they were flathead powered. Winters use to get really cold in the NE and he said they were needed since a lot these tugs were left outside and it was a bear to get them started when they were ice cold with single digit temps.

Mine is like Ralph G's and has a male plug on top of a heating element that sat on top of the stud.
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 06:19 PM   #14
38 coupe

Not related to block heaters, but to the first pictures. The heads on that engine are 38 24 stud units typically only found on the 38 only 24 stud motor with smaller mains like the LB-37-38 21 stud engines. Can you post a picture of the crank pulley and front of the crankshaft, that will ID 38 or 39 engine type.
38 coupe is offline   Reply With Quote