Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-22-2018, 10:37 AM   #1
RPM RON

Default 56 Ford McCulloch Super Charger

Installing super charger on 56 Fairlane need info on correct harmonic balancer and bottom pulley - any info appreciated
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 106_2925.jpg (70.4 KB, 103 views)
File Type: jpg 106_2927.jpg (55.2 KB, 76 views)

Last edited by RPM RON; 11-22-2018 at 12:03 PM.
RPM RON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 03:31 PM   #2
KULTULZ

Question Re: 56 Ford McCulloch Super Charger

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM RON View Post

Installing super charger on 56 Fairlane need info on correct harmonic balancer and bottom pulley - any info appreciated
Who's S/C?

How many sheaves are you going to need? I see an AC COMP.

ALT/GEN/PS?

- WHY IS IT ... -

... that everything you buy in the grocery store is either wrapped in or contained in plastic but the government doesn't want you to carry it out in a plastic bag?

WONDERING IN W(BY GOD)V ...

DIAGNOSED CDO - (OCD In Correct Alphabetical Order)
KULTULZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 04:01 PM   #3
RPM RON

Default Re: 56 Ford McCulloch Super Charger

Paxton McCulloch - don't have original harmonic balancer so don't know how many sheaves it should have - just trying to come up with some info or something to start from - sure will have to fabricate something to run a/c - alt no ps
Old 11-23-2018, 12:19 AM   #4
miker98038

Let’s see a picture of the crank pulley/balancer straight on, and a picture of the drivers side of the engine showing the alignment of the front pulleys. I ran a SN series with the extended blower pulley (meaning it lined up like a VS which I think you have). If it looks useful, I’ll dig out the pictures of how I did it. The more info the better. I’ll send my email if posting more pictures is a problem.

The McCullogh’s make a fun combination.
miker98038 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 08:30 AM   #5
RPM RON

the one on it now is definitely the wrong one - it is a 3 row with all 3 rows the same narrow belt size which mounts the larger s/c pully way too far out front - it looks like from drivers side the larger pully should be the middle pully - any more info or pictures you might have would be great
thanks
Old 11-23-2018, 09:37 AM   #6
KULTULZ

Cool Re: 56 Ford McCulloch Super Charger

FYI-

There were three balancers for the SC, one, two and three sheave. The BIRD SC used different balancers (no outer pulley noted).

This is to help Mike if needed. I will give the details/PN's if he deems it needed.

I would just simply post the ILL/TEXT but my scanner is still in outer Earth orbit.

- WHY IS IT ... -

... that everything you buy in the grocery store is either wrapped in or contained in plastic but the government doesn't want you to carry it out in a plastic bag?

Old 11-23-2018, 07:13 PM   #7
miker98038

Ron and K. It looks like a VS series from the front view, but I’m sure there are combinations I haven’t seen. I’m not familiar with the main mounting bracket, so I’m having a depth problem with that angle of the photos.

I’ve got original McC brackets for a y block, and the original pulley that bolted to a Thunderbird balancer. I’m not real familiar with the passenger car balancer.

I am running a pass car balancer with a VR series on my roadster, using the reproduction pass car brackets Frank Rice reproduced. That isn’t available for me to look at right now. I also have a set of reproduction brackets for a Thunderbird VR install, as reproduced by Don Antilla, a VR core, etc. all boxed, but I never put it on the motor. But the mounting surface to pulley center is much different from a VS to a VR.

I did a pass side mount of a SN series using the extended pulley (gave the same mount to belt spacing as a VS).

I was hoping something in the photos would jar my memory.

My other suggestion would be to send the photos of what you have off to Craig Conley at Paradise Wheels. He bought all the ball bearing drive inventory (a very large amount, 40 ft trailer loads) when the Granatelli’s decided to concentrate on the Novi superchargers. He pretty much knows them in the dark. That’s where my oem as opposed to reproduction items came from, as well as the VR and SN units.
Old 11-28-2018, 07:09 PM   #8
RPM RON

Craig Conley is who rebuilt the VS & got the belt from but don't seem to know anything about the balancer - have talked to him & he says only thing he does is rebuild them & don't seem to want anything to do with it.
Old 11-28-2018, 07:57 PM   #9
KULTULZ

Cool Re: 56 Ford McCulloch Super Charger

It is well above my pay grade. Never had that kind of money.

I was known as the JUNK YARD DOG ...

Are you aware of the SC SHOP MANUAL? Maybe the info is there?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1957 FORD- SC Shop Manual.jpg (237.7 KB, 6 views)

- WHY IS IT ... -

Old 11-28-2018, 07:59 PM   #10
miker98038

Interesting about Craig, he had and sold me the thunderbird set up nearly 15 years ago. Maybe all the other stuff is sold.

I don’t know this is going to help you, but this is the s/c pulley that bolt’s to a tbird balancer. The bar goes thru the factory opening, and the pulley bolts up with two bolts. I had the aluminum spacer made to give a little better surface to bolt to.

My only other thought is to go over to yblocksforever and contact Rono. He had a VS on his motor, but went to a top mounted rotor type due to clearance problems in his coupe. He may know something.

Edit. Didn’t see your post K. That’s the factory manual for the VR series Ford offered in 57. What if anything it has in common with the VS series I don’t know, but I suspect not much.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 62F25C4E-5257-45C6-9B1A-C44E5B1F05B1.jpg (32.4 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg 26AF62DA-0F01-46E0-924E-6A963D796FE9.jpg (29.6 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg 37EFBE65-4694-4F53-B203-A4AD7117CFD5.jpg (43.9 KB, 13 views)

Last edited by miker98038; 11-28-2018 at 09:46 PM.
Old 11-29-2018, 02:14 AM   #11
KULTULZ

Post Re: 56 Ford McCulloch Super Charger

Quote:
Originally Posted by miker98038 View Post

Edit. Didn’t see your post K. That’s the factory manual for the VR series Ford offered in 57. What if anything it has in common with the VS series I don’t know, but I suspect not much.

That's OK. I was never around or saw an install in person. If you need the different PN's let me know.

- WHY IS IT ... -

Old 11-29-2018, 03:29 AM   #12
KULTULZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by KULTULZ View Post

That's OK. I was never around or saw an install in person. If you need the different PN's let me know.
Here is a tutorial on the S/C's - http://vs57.y-block.info/vr57introduction.htm

- WHY IS IT ... -

Old 11-29-2018, 03:34 AM   #13
KULTULZ

Question Re: 56 Ford McCulloch Super Charger

Quote:
Originally Posted by miker98038 View Post

I don’t know this is going to help you, but this is the s/c pulley that bolt’s to a tbird balancer. The bar goes thru the factory opening, and the pulley bolts up with two bolts. I had the aluminum spacer made to give a little better surface to bolt to.

My only other thought is to go over to yblocksforever and contact Rono. He had a VS on his motor, but went to a top mounted rotor type due to clearance problems in his coupe. He may know something.

Help me out here-

The VS was not used in 57 FORD production but the VR was?

The pulleys you show, are they OEM FORD or aftermarket used to adapt the VS to a production car?

On a steep learning curve here ...

- WHY IS IT ... -

Old 11-29-2018, 09:03 AM   #14
Hot Rod Reverend

Only the VR series was a Ford factory supercharger. The VS series was made by Paxton Mcculloch also but the head unit was adapted to a variety of engine applications by means of various brackets, pulleys, and accessories. Most VR's are direct oil units while the VS's tend to be units that are self contained for lubrication. The confusion comes in when you realize that Paxton actually made the VS57 before the year 1957 ever rolled around. Since the VR57 was a factory Ford product in 1957... you get the idea.
Old 11-29-2018, 09:11 AM   #15
RPM RON

This car is a 1956 Ford and belongs to a friend of mine - I'm just trying to help him out - it was originally bought new by his dad & came with the dealer installed VS super charger - at one time it was sold and later bought back by my friend his son and some time over the years the original harmonic balancer/pulley was lost - he is now trying to get the car back together and running. So any info is greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Old 11-29-2018, 11:23 AM   #16
KULTULZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM RON View Post

This car is a 1956 Ford ... was originally bought new by his dad & came with the dealer installed VS super charger...

This may prove difficult. It seems you will have to find a source of the VS kits/service parts.

- WHY IS IT ... -

Old 11-29-2018, 03:58 PM   #17
miker98038

To expand on HRR’s comments. I think this is more or less correct, but I’d welcome any corrections or additions.

The VS, for variable speed McCullogh was introduced early on, right before or after the WW2. There was a pancake style unit for flatheads I believe earlier than that. The electric clutch allowed the driven pulley to split opening to a smaller diameter for increased speed and boost. That’s the reason for the long tensioner arm, to take up the belt length difference, as well as basic tension. I know Kaiser used them on the 6 cylinder big car (Continental IIRC). Studebaker used them extensively all the way thru the Avanti.

Various means were used to control the pulley position, but all basically electrical. High boost low rpm, lower boost high rpm, with a throttle position sw and a Hobbs switch you could do all kinds of things. Often resulting in catastrophic failure of the blower or the engine.

Whether the VR, for variable ratio was in the works or developed for Ford I don’t know. I believe they had an exclusive for the 57 production year. I’ve seen full size cars, bird’s, a station wagon, and even a Skyliner (number 12 of 14 built) with Factory F codes. I know they built and raced some convertibles also. After 57, they were available for many other vehicles.

To the best of my knowledge the 56’s did not have the VS as an option. That doesn’t mean a dealer couldn’t have installed it, or if a performance oriented one been marketing them.

All the McCullogh kits I’ve seen had pieces that bolted on, including the crank pulley. Doesn’t mean you might not need a specific balancer instead of the original. I’ve seen the original instructions fora 55-56 bird. Starts with “if you have power steering, relocate pump to pass side of engine”. No brackets, no instructions. “Relocate battery to trunk”. So they weren’t exactly a bolt on in an afternoon. While the main mounting brackets were often cast and pretty nice, a lot of the smaller stuff was just bent strap with a hole or two drilled in it. Place in vise and adjust as necessary I’m sure.

To the OP. If possible, I’d still like to see a side view of the engine to get a grasp of the alignment issues. You might also try over at yblocksforever, there’s some active racers with F code cars, and more than just me that’s run a VS. someone might just know the answer.

If you google Robert Paxton McCullough he was quite a guy. Big blowers for air exchange on submarines, chain saws, go carts and moving London Bridge to Arizona.

Sorry for the wandering OT.
Old 11-29-2018, 04:26 PM   #18
franksford

I have a complete NOS kit and manual. If you need information email me and maybe I can help. Frank [email protected]
franksford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 09:45 PM   #19
miker98038

Sounds like the answer just arrived.
Old 11-30-2018, 01:03 PM   #20
Hot Rod Reverend

I can vouch for Frank - great guy and a real help to me when I was putting one together a few years back.
Old 12-18-2018, 07:57 PM   #21
scicala

RPM RON,

This place may have info and parts for you.

Sal http://vs57.y-block.info/
scicala is offline   Reply With Quote