Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-20-2014, 11:49 AM   #1
Gil Sissons

Default Motometer info

I have a Motometer on the 31 Vicky and picked up a set of wings at a recent swap meet. The wings look to be longer than the aftermarket wings that I see on most Model A's.
Question is...were the original wings that were placed on Motometers different from what we see availabel today?
Is there a seal that is required when attaching these wings to the Motometer?
And...will the fact the the wings are attached effect the temp reading of the Motometer since the tip will be further above the fluid level? It is my understanding that the Motormeter was designed to not actually be in the water but to take reading from the space above the water. Is this correct?
Any info appreciated.
Gil NoCal
Gil Sissons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 06:47 PM   #2
Bob-A

Default Re: Motometer info

Back in the day you could probably get any length of wing span you wanted. There were more then a few manufacturers for hood ornaments with a generous amount of
different designs. I run accessory ornaments: greyhound on my '31, flying wheel goddess on my '29, on my original Moto-Meters. Both ornaments are bronze and are approx. 6-7 inches long. I sandwich the ornament mounting bases with thin rubber gaskets, available at most hardware stores, between the Moto-Meter and the radiator cap. Once everything is tightened up I trim the excess rubber from around the bases with an exacto knife. And you are correct in that the Moto-Meter reads the atmosphere temperature and not the actual water temp.

Bob-A
Bob-A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 09:54 AM   #3
modelAtony

Default Re: Motometer info

Gill, you can use a small type spring such as a brake spring or such cant remember. I added spring on stem of meter, about 2" long just find he correct diam. size and screw it on . This puts it down in the water. Has worked great for me since 2003. have fun modelAtony Lafayette LA
modelAtony is offline   Reply With Quote