Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-30-2019, 04:09 PM   #1
klawockvet

Default 28/29 Roadster Firewall

I'm trying to find details on the upper firewall and gas tank on my roadster. I know the interior of the car is a finished gas tank but there is about an inch gap between the firewall and the front of the tank. If the top of the tank is indeed the exterior of the cowl where does it separate from the firewall and how are these pieces attached. i have been told the exterior body on top of the cowl is a cover over the gas tank but that doesnt seem correct to my way of thinking. Anyone have pictures of the pieces and how they are attached?
klawockvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 04:55 PM   #2
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Default Re: 28/29 Roadster Firewall

Yeah, I think someone has been giving you bits of facts. You are correct there is an 'air gap' between the Dash (-the proper term for Firewall) and the actual forward face of the tank. The top exterior of the tank is indeed the outermost surface on your bodystyle whereas the Fordor Sedan did have a sheetmetal exterior cover that was integral with the cowl that the regular tank was located under.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 05:04 PM   #3
Mike Peters

This is how the gas tank went into our 28 Phaeton, which shares the identical cowl as your roadster.
(I know I used the incorrect fire wall to gas tank bolts.
Will change later.) The bolt holes in the front of your tank should line up with the bolt holes in your fire wall. A tapered punch is useful in lining up bolt holes. Yes, the top of your tank is does double duty as the outside of the body. Behind the dash rail in the last photo will be a series of bolt holes in the body rail that corresponds to the rear gas tank holes. The biggest challenge in stalling this tank was the welting strip that runs along the base of the windshield down to the bottom of the cowl. Patience and perseverance helps. I hope this answers your question? mike
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1-P1150458.JPG (221.6 KB, 67 views)
File Type: jpg 2-P1150459.JPG (201.4 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg 3-P1150460.JPG (144.7 KB, 55 views)
Mike Peters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 08:52 PM   #4
klawockvet

So, lets for the sake of explanation, if I were to remove the bolts from the top of what looks like the firewall(properly termed the dash???) and grab that piece and pull it apart from what looks like the top of the tank where would it come apart? Is there a continuous sweat solder/weld to the sheet metal on top of the tank, or does the top of the tank have a lip that comes forward to join the dash/top of firewall?

I assume if I unbolt the tank from the lower firewall and the sides above the kick panels on the interior I would have a tank with a piece of firewall/dash with an air gap between the tank and the top of the firewall/dash. Is that a correct assumption?
klawockvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 09:03 PM   #5
Bob C

Here is a picture Brent posted of a 1928-29 tank cut open.

Bob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2829GasTank.jpg (94.7 KB, 49 views)
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 09:22 AM   #6
Mike Peters

Quote:
Originally Posted by klawockvet View Post
So, lets for the sake of explanation, if I were to remove the bolts from the top of what looks like the firewall(properly termed the dash???) and grab that piece and pull it apart from what looks like the top of the tank where would it come apart? Is there a continuous sweat solder/weld to the sheet metal on top of the tank, or does the top of the tank have a lip that comes forward to join the dash/top of firewall?

I assume if I unbolt the tank from the lower firewall and the sides above the kick panels on the interior I would have a tank with a piece of firewall/dash with an air gap between the tank and the top of the firewall/dash. Is that a correct assumption?
Yes, if I understand you correctly. You are on the right track.
Mike Peters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 09:39 AM   #7
SwampLedge

Do the four rivets securing the nameplate (shown at left in the photo Bob C posted) penetrate the gas tank or are their backsides in an air space outside the gas tank?
SwampLedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 11:26 AM   #8
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwampLedge View Post
Do the four rivets securing the nameplate (shown at left in the photo Bob C posted) penetrate the gas tank or are their backsides in an air space outside the gas tank?

There is an 'airspace' between the dash and the tank.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote