Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-17-2019, 08:30 PM   #1
Kpar

Default Rear Brake Roller Kits

Purchased several rear brake roller track kits from Eckler (macs).
Made the big mistake of drilling out riverts on one backing plate before checking fit. Completely different from my existing 33 setup.
Have compared them from another source to make sure my rear backing plates are correct.
Anybody else had this issue ?
Kpar
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF0130.jpg (42.4 KB, 90 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF0131.jpg (41.6 KB, 80 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF0132.jpg (39.7 KB, 81 views)
Kpar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 09:00 PM   #2
cas3

Default Re: Rear Brake Roller Kits

model A rollers are the same, but not the tracks. i weld the old ones up and grind them flat. the rivet with the pin to hook the spring on is a model A part
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 11:55 PM   #3
Kpar

Not sure what you mean cas3. The one on the left is the new one and only has two riverts.
There should be three, two of them for return springs, the new tracks fit flush to the backing plate while original are at least 1/2" away from the plate to allow correct fitting of shoes. The cam stop is also on the wrong side.
Are these meant for a later model ?.
Kpar
Old 12-18-2019, 07:24 AM   #4
V8COOPMAN

WOW...Just a little bit more of that expert service and quality parts from Mac's that we discussed here AGAIN only last month. What did the shipping cost on this one to go half way around the world? And, are you going to be "allowed" to ship back AT YOUR OWN EXPENSE? I quit buying Eckler's Corvette "shtuff" about 29 years ago because of the repetitive BS and questionable quality of many of the products shipped-out. I keep wondering....when are some of y'all gonna learn? There are STILL a precious-few quality outfits left out there just dying to prove their worth to paying customers that expect better. DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 05:43 PM   #5
cas3

i dont see how the tracks could be the same. the A has 11" shoes, and a much different backing plate due to the emergency brake. but, with that said, i look at my brattons catalog, and it says the rear tracks are the same, but not the front. i did my 34tudor two years ago and just removed the tracks and repaired them, then bought new rollers and pins. so, sadly, i do not have the answer for you.
Old 12-18-2019, 06:46 PM   #6
Kpar

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8COOPMAN View Post
WOW...Just a little bit more of that expert service and quality parts from Mac's that we discussed here AGAIN only last month. What did the shipping cost on this one to go half way around the world? And, are you going to be "allowed" to ship back AT YOUR OWN EXPENSE? I quit buying Eckler's Corvette "shtuff" about 29 years ago because of the repetitive BS and questionable quality of many of the products shipped-out. I keep wondering....when are some of y'all gonna learn? There are STILL a precious-few quality outfits left out there just dying to prove their worth to paying customers that expect better. DD
Yes COOPMAN I did know about Mac's past performance but it seems no others can supply these kits. Can you suggest where to get them.
At this stage Mac's / Ecklers have not replied to my E-mail.
Kpar
Old 12-18-2019, 06:54 PM   #7
cas3

i use brattons antique auto for a parts, good people there and walt bratton himself will take calls and answer questions just like this. no v8 parts, but in this case it would have worked. best of luck to you
Old 12-18-2019, 07:02 PM   #8
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kpar View Post
Yes COOPMAN I did know about Mac's past performance but it seems no others can supply these kits. Can you suggest where to get them.
At this stage Mac's / Ecklers have not replied to my E-mail.
Kpar

Kpar….I really am sorry that you've gotten caught-up in this mess. It just ain't right that an outfit like we're talking about just keeps-on causing a bunch of unnecessary expense and heartburn for honest, hard-working folks like you. And to weasel-around and sidestep at least an acknowledging e-mail for THEIR screw-up is just one more slap in the face. I really wish I could help you, but I don't keep-up with the early brakes. Is this something that "FLATHEAD TED", over there in your neck of the woods, could possibly help you with? He seems to be heavily involved with the early brakes. DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 07:21 PM   #9
Kurt in NJ

I have seen a lot of online parts sellers sending parts that won't fit ----probably knowing they won't fit because many people won't return them because of the hassle
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 08:46 PM   #10
woodiewagon46

If at all possible you should try to purchase original parts. I just replaced the entire set of rollers on my Model A and most of the rollers needed to be reamed and the pins cut down.
woodiewagon46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 10:34 PM   #11
Lawrie

Keith , maybe try Barnfind or 3rd gen for an original backing plate.
Lawrie
Lawrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 12:57 AM   #12
koates

Hi Keith, It seems to me that the new part you have from Macs is for a model A at least and most repop suppliers list them for 28 to 34 which is not correct. I checked the rear backing plates on my 34 sedan and also some separate spare backing plates I have and they are the same as your original part in your photo. I would not have unriveted that casting from your backing plate rather just build up and file the tracks and fit new bronze bushings in there if they are worn. Post #3 from cas3 is correct information. Just repair your original parts and refit them. You might have to use some of the rivets and spring pins and other parts etc from your kit so don't send them back to Macs. Regards, Kevin.
koates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 02:09 AM   #13
FlatheadTed

Send a message via AIM to FlatheadTed

Hi Kpar,I saw the post but fished around in my stash for a Model backing plate for a hr and gave up .I have since found one .The rivets are shorter on the A as the backing plate protrudes out at that point were the v8 is lower ,the track is 1/8 on the A and 1/4 on the 8 the shoes are the same except one 11" and one 12 " ,the cam stop is different but stop in the same place (Top ) its nowhere near a bolt in deal ,you could maybe make it work by packing it up by 1/8 and widening the track ,But you could work on your own ones on the car as Koats suggests , the bushes are available I have some here ,Ted

Flathead Ted brake Floaters ,

Last edited by FlatheadTed; 12-19-2019 at 02:45 AM.
FlatheadTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 02:47 AM   #14
FlatheadTed

I see on the Macs one the stops on the bottom not top .

Old 12-19-2019, 03:16 AM   #15
Kpar

Thanks for all the advice barners, maybe I should have posted before I purchased.
It just pings me off when you see parts in a catalogues listed for a certain model 28-34 and no way will they fit. Companies should be held accountable, it's false advertising.
Not much we can do about it just don't deal with them.
I'm out several hundred dollars while they profited from it.
Cranky Kpar
Old 12-19-2019, 04:28 AM   #16
koates

Its not just Macs that list that rear brake kit fits 1928 - 1934. Several other companies list it as well. Its always preferable to repair or overhaul original parts if possible. They all need to do a lot of homework I think. Regards, Kevin.
koates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 02:20 PM   #17
FlatheadTed

If you have the rives cut you should able to sit them in place and lay the shoes on them and work out what needs to be done ,even with the stop at the bottom that shouldn't make much difference ,there is one rivet hole less but you could drill higher or .You could possibly run the narrow track as is but make sure the rivet head sits on the track ,or get a engineer to add 1/8 to it .until it set in place its hard to say it will not fit or be made to fit, Lawrie may have some ideas ,Ted

Old 12-19-2019, 07:59 PM   #18
FlatheadTed

Maybe I should do a exercise and change the A one I have onto the v8 ,work out the needed spacers and modification s and offer it to macs ,I am not looking for work but it could help keep the hobby going , Not sure , i9f Kpr wants to wait

Old 12-19-2019, 08:52 PM   #19
cas3

to heck with macs, get a hold of walt bratton if you wish to gear up for production !
Old 12-20-2019, 12:05 AM   #20
Kpar

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlatheadTed View Post
Maybe I should do a exercise and change the A one I have onto the v8 ,work out the needed spacers and modification s and offer it to macs ,I am not looking for work but it could help keep the hobby going , Not sure , i9f Kpr wants to wait
Ted Lawrie suggested spaces. I have a lathe & mill so made up a spacer & riverts for the extension springs. The thing I was not happy with was only having two riverts on one side, this allows the track body to flex when applying the brakes. Next is take some barners advice and rebuild the old ones.
Kpar