Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-19-2018, 01:01 PM   #1
KUDZUVIPER

Default Sellers throwing away good parts

I noticed a recent ad where a seller decided to throw away what appeared to be usable parts because he did not get his asking price. Would it not have been better to donate to a local club or offer free for the taking?
I see on the HAMB they recently added a section "Pay it Forward", would like to see that here on the BARN.
KUDZUVIPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 01:07 PM   #2
WHN

Default Re: Sellers throwing away good parts

Shouldn’t throw anything away.

Everything that I have put on EBay related to Model A’s has sold.

Even some items that I couldn’t believe someone would want. Enjoy.
WHN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 02:03 PM   #3
54vicky

if his asking price was in the stratosphere typical I cant sell $1 for $5 I will just scrap it for 50 cents or less that will show them.much like the hoarders who are going to restore it one day.hard to deal with that mindset
54vicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 02:47 PM   #4
wrndln

Some people are just knuckleheads - period!
Rusty Nelson
wrndln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 03:01 PM   #5
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Let me see if I understand him. He has spent money on a part, stored it, taking up space and now no longer needs it. People need parts to fix their cars and would have to spend money on the same part someplace elsewhere. Why should he give them away? If the parts are worth something then something should be paid and if nobody wants to pay then they are worthless and should be thrown away.

At least that is what I think he is thinking. Is he correct, I don't think so but like hot rodding A's, they are his to do with what he wants.
Old 07-19-2018, 03:52 PM   #6
KUDZUVIPER

Hello Mike, you are absolutely correct, his to do as he wishes. I was just wishing for a category similar to the HAMB or offering other options.
KUDZUVIPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 04:10 PM   #7
30 Mike

i agree with Kudzuviper, ive had stuff in the past that was either to rough for my use (couldn't sell) that i gave to a young kid trying to build one on a budget. Turns out he was more than greatful and has helped me out changing motors and such.
30 Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 04:24 PM   #8
Keith True

While I won't actually throw much away,I know exactly how the guy feels.I have something really worth $100,ask $100 or $75,and get a barrage of insulting people making stupid offers.In the late 70's I saw a junkyard owner pick up a Pinto and set it on some stands so somebody could take the brand new exhaust system off.He laid the parts out on the ground and asked the yard owner how much.He said $7.The guy actually had the grapes to offer him $5.The owner said,sure gimmee five.The guy jumped up on the loader,paid him,and when he jumped back down the yard owner put the loader in gear and drove right over the exhaust parts.He hollered out the window,now that's a $5.exhaust system,and drove off.
Keith True is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 07:15 PM   #9
redmodelt

I somewhat agree with what has been said above, but my take is keep your mouth shut and don't come bragging on here. Just get rid of the stuff. While maybe you have X invested somewhere in the past I understand, but you have to also look at what the current market is, if you are way over then ether sell for current or hold on and hope there is an upswing.
Old 07-19-2018, 07:39 PM   #10
SeaSlugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith True View Post
While I won't actually throw much away,I know exactly how the guy feels.I have something really worth $100,ask $100 or $75,and get a barrage of insulting people making stupid offers.In the late 70's I saw a junkyard owner pick up a Pinto and set it on some stands so somebody could take the brand new exhaust system off.He laid the parts out on the ground and asked the yard owner how much.He said $7.The guy actually had the grapes to offer him $5.The owner said,sure gimmee five.The guy jumped up on the loader,paid him,and when he jumped back down the yard owner put the loader in gear and drove right over the exhaust parts.He hollered out the window,now that's a $5.exhaust system,and drove off.
See I still dont get that mind set. Guy offered up a price that was near what the junkyard wanted ($30 in today's money in using 1977 as a back then date) the guy offered essentially $21 in today's money. Not totally unreasonable. Most yards would meet in the middle at $25 or say no I gotta have $30.

Now the yard owner has a $0 profit and cant ever get anything but about $0.50 for it flattened and the buyer walks away empty handed never to return and spreads bad word around thinking the guys a moron.

If the junkyard guy would be that insulted over $9 maybe he should of asked more for it.

Sure it gets annoying people trying to lowball you when selling something. Try selling a vehicle on craigslist you get stupid offers all day (hence never leave your phone number - leave email then respond and give your number to people who sound reasonable/legit). but its easy to ignore them or reply its not

Throwing away something to make zero profit on it is stupid as heck and what are you trying to prove and to whom?

When I price something I look up what they are selling for (never asking prices) in a given condition. I think what is the absolute least I would take, then ask for more but still in the realm of reasonable near what they are selling for. If we agree on more than my mental minimum I win, if we settle at my mental bottom price I still win because that's what I felt it was worth and I don't have to store it anymore and money in my pocket.
Old 07-19-2018, 08:26 PM   #11
Keith True

He set his price at $7.because he knew a new system was about $70.He figured ten cents on the dollar was a cheap price.A lot of junkyard pricing then was half price of new.Not for everything,but for most parts you could carry.His parts were always priced right,but once in a while he would get somebody who thought he would chisel down the bargain price some more.He would do something like that every couple of years,and it would remind everybody he wouldn't tolerate insulting offers.He said it was a cheap way of getting the word out.I remember him asking a guy if he had any friends,when the guy answered yes he said to tell them he didn't want them in his shop either.I always found him to be a great guy to deal with.He had all the business than he could handle until he died.
Keith True is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 08:47 PM   #12
michael a

I hate people that try to beat you down they have a choice either yes or no I have torn up some good stuff in front of them to let them know I won't be beat down stupid probably but it made me feel good

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk
michael a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 08:54 PM   #13
TerryO

I just wish he would throw the stuff my way.
TerryO
TerryO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 09:17 PM   #14
SeaSlugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith True View Post
He set his price at $7.because he knew a new system was about $70.He figured ten cents on the dollar was a cheap price.A lot of junkyard pricing then was half price of new.Not for everything,but for most parts you could carry.His parts were always priced right,but once in a while he would get somebody who thought he would chisel down the bargain price some more.He would do something like that every couple of years,and it would remind everybody he wouldn't tolerate insulting offers.He said it was a cheap way of getting the word out.I remember him asking a guy if he had any friends,when the guy answered yes he said to tell them he didn't want them in his shop either.I always found him to be a great guy to deal with.He had all the business than he could handle until he died.
I suppose but still. I've been to countless yards in multiple states and they are all different. Some are good priced - others are on crack somedays on some parts (like $1 less than new...) yet some only value scrappable parts (plastic stuff is cheap metal stuff is hit or miss). Point is some parts i have no idea what they value them at. Sometimes i have no idea what something is worth. I've bought whole stainless tailpipes from muffler back to bumper for $5 at one yard while another wants $20 for the slightly rusted 2 ft pipe between the cat and muffler. I sure as heck will try to haggle that $20 especially since they wont tell me a price till i struggle laying in the junkyard dirt to get it off.
Old 07-19-2018, 09:51 PM   #15
Railcarmover
BANNED

I've watched buyers at swap meets wait around the garbage can on the last day,hoping a vendor pitches what doesn't sell.

I work with a guy who's dad was a founding member of the local club,he has out buildings full of A parts,he estimates he has 100 A fenders,some NOS in his moms rafters that his father got buying out dealership stock in the 50's.. but he wont part with a thing..and he doesn't like model A's.

I used to think every car should be saved,that it only makes sense,they don't make them anymore..now I just care about my car, here's to you doing the same with yours.
Railcarmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 10:36 PM   #16
Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael a View Post
I hate people that try to beat you down they have a choice either yes or no I have torn up some good stuff in front of them to let them know I won't be beat down stupid probably but it made me feel good

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

I agree, at least ask if he would entertain a lower price before insulting him. Does anyone think a junk yard would take a car, put it up on blocks on demand, wait for the work to be done, then move the car back on the pile for 30 bucks, and then be offered $21.00?
Old 07-19-2018, 10:39 PM   #17
Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railcarmover View Post
I've watched buyers at swap meets wait around the garbage can on the last day,hoping a vendor pitches what doesn't sell.

I work with a guy who's dad was a founding member of the local club,he has out buildings full of A parts,he estimates he has 100 A fenders,some NOS in his moms rafters that his father got buying out dealership stock in the 50's.. but he wont part with a thing..and he doesn't like model A's.

I used to think every car should be saved,that it only makes sense,they don't make them anymore..now I just care about my car, here's to you doing the same with yours.

Tell the guy how much you are willing to pay and to keep you in mind when the old man "moves on".
Old 07-19-2018, 10:50 PM   #18
redmodelt

Ok I have to ask, has the post been removed? I don't see anything.
Old 07-19-2018, 11:20 PM   #19
J Franklin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike V. Florida View Post
Tell the guy how much you are willing to pay and to keep you in mind when the old man "moves on".
Tell the hoarders wife and kids also!
J Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 07:34 AM   #20
jimvette59

I think some people will use scare tactics and not really scrap or throw the parts away. JMHO
jimvette59 is offline   Reply With Quote