Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-23-2016, 11:42 AM   #1
Ianrhall

Default Pickup bed

I have a 44 "jailbar" 1/2 ton
Thinking of replacing the wood in the bed. Looking up underneath I can see what looks like the original wood, good condition at the back but some rot nearer the cab. On top of this is a sheet of steel maybe 1/16 or slightly thinner, this has obviously been added a few decades ago with some primitive stick welding. On top of the steel is a sheet of plywood which needs replacing.
My question is, what would it have had originally, just the bottom layer of wood or something on top of the wood? Truck is in original condition not restored so I'm not looking for something super shiny!
Ian
Ianrhall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 12:09 PM   #2
GB SISSON

Default Re: Pickup bed

It came from the factory with a thin sheet of steel with ribs over the top of wood planks. Many people cut all this out and put in a more 'normal' bed wood/ bed strip configuration. I think you can buy the stamped steel floor aftermarket.
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 01:54 PM   #3
Ianrhall

I have some old boards off a friends garage roof that I could use, trouble is they are only 5" wide so would have more joints than usual.
Ian
Old 01-23-2016, 07:47 PM   #4
GB SISSON

If they are thick like 7/8 I would use them. Obviously would be in keeping for an old farm truck look, but keep in mind you'd lose points at Pebble Beach. I have a bunch of bed strips if you need extra.
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
Old 01-23-2016, 11:12 PM   #5
Scott H in Wheaton

image.jpg

I left the original factory steel pan in the bed. i cut a piece of plywood to fit, then routered channels to accept bed strips I purchased online.
Scott H in Wheaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 11:14 PM   #6
Scott H in Wheaton

The finishd product

image.jpg
Scott H in Wheaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 03:23 AM   #7
Alaska Jim

Scott, I don't have a truck, but I like your idea. the finished product looks great.
Alaska Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 03:56 AM   #8
Ianrhall

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB SISSON View Post
If they are thick like 7/8 I would use them. Obviously would be in keeping for an old farm truck look, but keep in mind you'd lose points at Pebble Beach. I have a bunch of bed strips if you need extra.
They would love my truck at pebble beach👍
Don't have any bed strips yet, hopefully someone stocks them in the uk
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (66.4 KB, 20 views)
Old 01-24-2016, 04:11 AM   #9
GB SISSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ianrhall View Post
They would love my truck at pebble beach👍
Don't have any bed strips yet, hopefully someone stocks them in the uk
If they didn't (love it there) then they've got their head.... Oh never mind, your truck is awesome. I run a business where we build furniture, doors and cabinetry for the high end market. I get the pick of the litter for vintage bed wood.
Old 01-24-2016, 07:58 AM   #10
39portlander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott H in Wheaton View Post
The finishd product

Attachment 255470
Scott that looks great, I like the black strips against your white bed. Mine is Folkstone grey and the stainless strips are bright, seeing yours thinking black would have been a better choice.

Ahhh...maybe on the next truck. Scott

That bed mounting wood is available through Northern Classic Trucks in Mich.
39portlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 10:17 AM   #11
jimTN

Correct PU beds had a factory metal floor. To many so called" restored" trks have been converted to open wood. The metal was there to last longer and if you are concerned about being original, its the way to go. If you are building a "driver" the exposed wood is easier.
jimTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 10:21 AM   #12
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimTN View Post
Correct PU beds had a factory metal floor. To many so called" restored" trks have been converted to open wood. The metal was there to last longer and if you are concerned about being original, its the way to go. If you are building a "driver" the exposed wood is easier.
Correct, and correct.
I am in the middle of a truck restoration and reproduced the wood that is installed beneath the metal floor. Kind of shame to cover that beautiful wood but that's the way Ford did it and as with all my restorations, I do my best to replicate the way it was authentically.
Old 01-24-2016, 06:19 PM   #13
Ianrhall

Well, looks like I still have the original wood and steel cover. Someone has tried(badly) to weld the sides to the body just behind the wheel tubs. I'm going to leave it all in place and just put some new/old wood over the top
Ian
Old 01-25-2016, 07:55 AM   #14
chap52

A few extra strips will look fine. My truck came with a farm built flatbed that made good campfire wood. Built a new bed, added redwood (soft wood not for heavy hauling) and strips. Seem to be an "eye pleaser" for all who see it.
Enjoy your project and do it "your way".
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20150423_065956.jpg (53.8 KB, 17 views)
chap52 is offline   Reply With Quote