Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-02-2011, 10:38 AM   #1
Barry B./ Ma.

Default Model A home generator ?

Has anyone made a home generator powered by a Model A engine? I know it would run a lot quieter than the generators on my block that have been running for four days. I have a run-in test stand and it just seems to me that it would be a good approach to solve our energy outage problems. I understand the rpm would have to be 3600 for the right output and that could be accomplished with a step-up gear box and I would think it would be a lot quieter in the neighborhood with a good Model A muffler. Just thinking down the road as I feel these power outages are only going to get worse and I can't stand the present racket with all these small generators running.
Barry B./ Ma. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 10:45 AM   #2
CarlG

Default Re: Model A home generator ?

When I was in High School, we went to visit friends out in the country (SE AZ), and their electricity was from an on-demand generator, powered by a Model A engine. I was more interested in the engine, so didn't pay much attention to the power out generating side, so couldn't tell you what was back there.
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 11:09 AM   #3
Benson

I would look for an 1800 RPM genset and gearup would not be needed.

Some engine powered Welders run at 1800 in generator mode and 3600 in welder mode.

Maybe find an Onan genset from a RV (many run at 1800) or a welder with a blown engine and use with the A engine ... Model A engines are happy at 1800!!

I have a governor from a combine engine that hooks to the Zenith I have saved for that purpose.

Also consider running the engine on natural gas ... then you do not have to depend on the gas stations having generators to pump gas.

Last edited by Benson; 11-02-2011 at 11:50 AM.
Benson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 05:46 PM   #4
Barry B./ Ma.

Thanks guys, good suggestions. Benson,would you believe I sold a Model A governor I had that was on a saw rig some time ago.
Barry B./ Ma. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 06:47 PM   #5
Benson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry B./ Ma. View Post
Thanks guys, good suggestions. Benson,would you believe I sold a Model A governor I had that was on a saw rig some time ago.

About the 1800 RPM Gensets ... as I understand it the 3600's have 2 poles in the generator and 1800's had 4 poles so they have same frequency at 1/2 the speed and cost more also!

I would think that it takes more torque to turn a 4 pole. Model A should have plenty of torque to spin it over!

I think that the governor would be necessary to keep the engine speed constant under varying loads. Do not want the frequency changing as speed changes.

About selling stuff. I know what you mean ... when I got back from my "SE Asian vacation" (Nixon it called a " Police Action" ) in Jan 1969 I had the money to pay cash for a car and wanted to buy a Mustang ... could not afford the insurance, tires (too much smoking) or gasoline. So did not buy it. Sure wish I had bought one and kept it!

Last edited by Benson; 11-03-2011 at 08:14 AM.
Benson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 07:04 PM   #6
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Barry, a couple of us discussed this about a year ago here. CLICK HERE to view the thread, ...and drop down to the 5th post for some thoughts we had back then.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 07:19 PM   #7
Ross/Kzoo

My whole house generator is a Generac/Mitsubishi 4 cylinder. It's rated @ 15 KW and can run my 3 1/2 ton AC and the electric range plus all other household items. It runs on natural gas and sometimes has to run for 2-3 days at a time. You could use a Model A engine but there are better choices. IMHO
Ross/Kzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 07:48 PM   #8
Jerry Parr WI

I thought about doing it at one time. I thought generators designed to run off tractor power takeoffs would be a good choice. They are fairly common at auctions when small farmers sell out. In dairy farm areas keeping the milk cooler running is mandatory. I have seen some vintage Model A power plants at steam tractor shows.

When you can buy a small Generac LP/natural gas, auto start, auto transfer unit new for about $2000. it's going to be hard to justify. You would have to do it just because.
Jerry Parr WI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 07:05 AM   #9
Tom Wesenberg

Kohler built a neat 4 cylinder home power plant for the homes before rural electrification. They are a 6 pole generator and run at only 1,200 RPM. They have 4 small pistons and are rated 1000 watts. This won't run an air conditioner, but will run the refrigerator and a few lights and TV. When I lost power a couple years ago I ran the sump pump, freezer, refrigerator, a couple lights and TV all on my 650 watt Honda generator.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 07:31 AM   #10
Keith True

I've had some of those Kohler generators.They will do a LOT more than they are rated for.Here they were bought through the Farm Bureau,and they were in every barn in town.Electricity was unreliable here at first,so they needed them to run the new milk coolers.Some here are going on their 5th day without power here,one farm is still using that generator although it is on light duty now.It is running his house and the barns are run by a diesel generator.I still have a Westinghouse welder with a Model A engine on it.The tag says it is rated at 1750 RPM,and makes 200 amps at 28 volts.It has a governor,a reverse fan,(it blows OUT the radiator)an odd waterpump,upright exhaust,and the spark advance has two positions,start and run.Start is retarded and run is about in the middle of the travel.I let a friend use it to do some work on his bulldozer undercarriage about 15 years ago,he still has it.It is in a shop with the exhaust out through a window,taken care of better than I could do.I go say hello to it every year or so.The year on it is 1935 or 36,(on the tag)it is poorly stamped and we can't be sure of the last digit.The engine has never been stamped.
Keith True is offline   Reply With Quote