Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-18-2019, 02:36 PM   #1
leon bee

Default 50 Car Fuel Sender, slightly different question?

I'm wondering if any of the reproductions are useful at all? Like to let you know when you're getting real low?

I pulled the cover off my sender and looked in there, didn't see anything I should be touching just yet. When I got the car running, was so proud to get the gauge working, too. Then it quit, just goes to Full. Wiring and ground are good.

I have old threads bookmarked to study, but wondering if $40 for a repro is a complete waste. My old Lincoln, I got a big dipstick to check fuel but this Ford I can't get any kind of stick down in the tank.
leon bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 03:46 PM   #2
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Default Re: 50 Car Fuel Sender, slightly different question?

A repro sender seems to work somewhat for some folks and not well at all for others. It is a different technology, so you are kinda mixing apples and oranges. Believe the biggest issue is you are going to get different curves with the different types of senders. You can work with them and get it acceptable at empty which is what most of us are interested in.

Not to much you can do inside other than clean the points. Use a file, not sandpaper! The old ignition files are what you need. The point get material built up on them over time. The other thing to check is the ground at the sender. It originally grounded through the tank itself, but the addition of a ground wire directly from the sender to a good grounding surface can help. You might also want the to check to be sure the sender is the issue and not the gauge itself. You can check the gauge with a battery, at 1.5v or 3.0v and see what gauge readings you get.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 07:18 PM   #3
leon bee

Thanks J. I was focused on the sender and didn't think about the gauge maybe being a problem. I gotta read those old posts before I mess around in that sender, looking at it nothing quite made sense. I got a real good ground on it.
leon bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 08:21 PM   #4
donald1950

contact ShoeBox Central in Oklahoma City. they may have a used one that is good....

Phone: (405) 259-9222
donald1950 is offline   Reply With Quote