Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-19-2016, 11:02 AM   #1
daoust

Default Ford convertible conversion

A theoretical question: Could a standard 1946-1948 Ford convertible be converted to a woody? Is it mechanically/structurally possible?
daoust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 11:28 AM   #2
deuce_roadster

Default Re: Ford convertible conversion

Not sure about the 46-48s but my 40 woody cowl is MOSTLY the same as the convertible. It is different at the top of course as the woody cowl has a pocket for the top wood to go into instead of where the convertible top clamps to . With enough money anything can be done, why don't you sell the convertible and buy a woody instead of destroying the convertible?
deuce_roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 12:19 PM   #3
G.M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daoust View Post
A theoretical question: Could a standard 1946-1948 Ford convertible be converted to a woody? Is it mechanically/structurally possible?
Yes, There is or was a company in OR or WA that supplied the
wood and mechanical parts. G.M.
Old 09-19-2016, 12:30 PM   #4
51 MERC-CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by daoust View Post
Sure, just like the later woodies were done, screw all the wood parts to the existing body panels to make a 'faux-woodie'
Old 09-19-2016, 12:50 PM   #5
daoust

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.M. View Post

Anybody familiar with this company? Thanks
Old 09-20-2016, 09:19 AM   #6
Milt/Las Vegas

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.M. View Post
The owner of Vancouver Nut and Bolt in Vancouver,Wa.restores woodys.
Old 09-20-2016, 09:46 AM   #7
GB SISSON

I'm building one from a pickup. It is not easy, but I'm looking forward to more free time to work on it this winter. If I were starting with a convertible I would be tempted to do a 'sportsman'. As said, almost anything is possible. My thread is called 'Truck based woody' on the Barn.
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 10:21 AM   #8
mrtexas

There are companies all over the country that will make you a woodie, any year you want out of a 4 door or any other body style. They will make you a 4 or 2 door woodie, whatever you want. Or you don't even need a donor car. They will supply a fiberglass woodie cowl and all new parts, wood, frame, drive train etc. Just the wood however will be a minimum of $40k and likely more. There is a guy advertising a 46-48 woodie on fordbarn for the last year or more without wood for $12k I think with most of the woodie only parts. Look at the ads for woodie out there. Most are advertised for $100k+ which is what you will spend minimum if you have someone else do all the work.
mrtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 12:06 PM   #9
39topless

And then there's the small detail of the title. Your title is for a convertible. You can not change the title from convertible to station wagon (legally). You will not be able to get insurance for a station wagon (woodie) with a convertible title. And comes the time to transfer ownership, you have an invalid title. No one is going to pay you (or your heirs) for a woodie with a title for a convertible.
39topless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 12:44 PM   #10
skidmarks

Quote:
Originally Posted by 39topless View Post
And then there's the small detail of the title. Your title is for a convertible. You can not change the title from convertible to station wagon (legally). You will not be able to get insurance for a station wagon (woodie) with a convertible title. And comes the time to transfer ownership, you have an invalid title. No one is going to pay you (or your heirs) for a woodie with a title for a convertible.
Delaware you can . I used a 1940 ford 4 door chassis and title and built a 40 pickup. Did a change of body style with a bill of sale for the cab and other pieces.
skidmarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 12:48 PM   #11
jagnweiner

Quote:
I was sort of assuming when he asked if a "standard convertible" could be converted "a woodie", he meant converted to a Sportsman 2d convertible coupe. But perhaps I'm wrong . . .

'47 Mercury Convertible
'25 Dodge Bros. Touring Car
'63 MG Midget
jagnweiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 01:09 PM   #12
39topless

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagnweiner View Post
I was sort of assuming when he asked if a "standard convertible" could be converted "a woodie", he meant converted to a Sportsman 2d convertible coupe. But perhaps I'm wrong . . .
opps, you're probably correct. I never think of a Sportsman as a "woodie".
So... thanks for correcting me.
39topless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 01:31 PM   #13
daoust

Quote:
opps, you're probably correct. I never think of a Sportsman as a "woodie".
So... thanks for correcting me.

That is correct. I am asking if a standard convertible could be converted to a Sportsman. I used the term "woody" but should have more correctly said "Sportsman." My apologies for not being more clear.

It seem to me that it should be able to be done but I don't know if the underlying body structures are too different to do a retro-fit.
Old 09-21-2016, 07:01 PM   #14
johnny

The rear trunk area is much different from convt to sportsman rear The fenders used were from a sedan delivery ,but the sedan de.gas filler was not in the fender it was in the quarter but is needed in the fender for the sport man.May I sugest you take your convt and simply re do yours as your idea of a wood covered body. If you connect with the woodie club and ask there you would get help as there has been different write ups. John.
johnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 09:42 PM   #15
mercman from oz

This photo was taken back in 1974 and shows a 1948 Ford Woody that is broken in half - on left in photo. Car on right is a 39 or 40 Ford Sloper that has had some of the roof cut off.
The reason why I am Posting is picture is so that you can see how much extra metal there is above the Windscreen opening, much more than on a Convertible.
If we had the Crystal Ball back in 1974, we would have hauled this wreck home. The only body styles available in Australia from 1941 were Fordor Sedans and Utes. Also, from 46-48, Sedan Deliveries, which was called Panel Vans were also available.
How this Woody finished up in Australia is unknown. The contents of this yard were crushed many years ago.
mercman from oz is offline   Reply With Quote