Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-28-2022, 01:46 PM   #21
Zeke3

Default Re: 1940 Ford restoration

The advantage of using a rivet is that the body of the rivet will swell to fill the hole tightly as it is being upset.
Zeke3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2022, 06:19 AM   #22
Fred A

The no BS question is whether Seth can keep on track for an authentic restoration with all the fawning. I have appreciated the challenge and commentary that the pundits can offer. With no standing in the critique and having an active '40 project, I hang on their well- schooled advice. Even a pundit can be mistaken. That leaves us with the task of evaluating and making our own judgement. Tell Seth what we see while he can fix it easily. Good Luck: Fred A
Fred A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2022, 07:41 AM   #23
DavidG

Seth,

You're not weird. I have the K. R. Wilson version of the riveter and it is so easy to use that it can't help but being satisfying. There are plenty of restoration tasks that are on the other side of the ledger.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2022, 08:33 AM   #24
Charlie ny
BANNED

Seth,
Seems like yesterday....great job....my best to you and Tom !!
Charlie ny
Charlie ny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2022, 08:12 AM   #25
Seth Swoboda

I managed to get a few items done over the weekend. I was pretty busy, working all day Saturday. I got some small chassis parts painted Friday after work. Sunday afternoon I assembled the rear brakes and the drums are on.

I'm using a paint I've never tried before. On a suggestion from a good friend (Third Gen) I'm using Tamco Chassis Black. It's a gloss black. It took a minute to figure it out but it needs mixed 4:1:1. Single stage. 1 part hardener and a strong 1 part medium reducer. I'm not a pro painter. I use a HVLP gun, have an air dryer after my compressor, filter after the dryer and a desiccant filter on the gun. All my color will be shot professionally.

Also, I know I need to install cotter keys. I usually make sure fit and finish is good before I key everything. I hate putting a key in just to remove it later. I also need some correct type fasteners from Third Gen when he has a minute.

Later this week the front spindles, brakes, ect.... will go together. I bought a NOS kingpin set and installed new bushings. However I have the spindles at a shop getting the bushings honed to fit.

Oh, I also rebuilt my U Joint. New cross bearing. In preparation for the engine and transmission install.

Last night I was media blasting the shocks that came with this car. As I suspected they are incorrect for '40. The hunt is on........
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rear.jpg (62.0 KB, 79 views)
File Type: jpg pan.jpg (23.5 KB, 72 views)
File Type: jpg pan2.jpg (26.8 KB, 58 views)
Seth Swoboda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2022, 08:26 AM   #26
rockfla

Seth

Man you are moving along pretty steady with it.....Where did you buy the Tamco paint? I am envious of you having the "weather" to be able to paint...It is so damn hot down here and the humidity is SO high I'd be afraid to paint anything now!!! looking good my man!!
rockfla is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2022, 08:34 AM   #27
Seth Swoboda

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfla View Post
Seth

Man you are moving along pretty steady with it.....Where did you buy the Tamco paint? I am envious of you having the "weather" to be able to paint...It is so damn hot down here and the humidity is SO high I'd be afraid to paint anything now!!! looking good my man!!
I bought it off their web site. I phoned it in. I'm young enough to figure out an online order but I hate automation at times. I like to talk to people when I have a question.

Anyway, last Friday we got a break in the humidity & temps. It was about as perfect as it gets for summer here in Southern Illinois. This week we're back to 95+ and 110% humidity.

I'm going on a parts run this weekend. Just over the river into Missouri for a gas tank and some nos '40 parts. It's going to be 95 here on Saturday so after work I'll go for a drive.

I should mention, we live on a 40 acre property. Beef cattle and goats. So there is always plenty of maintenance to do. TV? Don't watch it. Work, 2 kids, play with old Fords and sleep.
Old 08-02-2022, 09:17 AM   #28
Fred A

Seth, If you are going to earn your Dearborn, you might take a look at your transmission. I tried earlier to drop a hint that a more critical look at your project might be more useful than the flattery. Well none took the challenge, and you still don't show a 1940 transmission behind the engine. The later trans may not be detectable by the misleading part number on the rear of the case. From the top the venting screams the difference. Don't fall in love with that 01A. Good Luck: Fred A
Old 08-02-2022, 09:18 AM   #29
35fordtn

Seth glad you tried tamco. Their “murdered black” base is the blackest black I’ve ever seen, even more so than PPG concept 9300
35fordtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2022, 09:27 AM   #30
Seth Swoboda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred A View Post
Seth, If you are going to earn your Dearborn, you might take a look at your transmission. I tried earlier to drop a hint that a more critical look at your project might be more useful than the flattery. Well none took the challenge, and you still don't show a 1940 transmission behind the engine. The later trans may not be detectable by the misleading part number on the rear of the case. From the top the venting screams the difference. Don't fall in love with that 01A. Good Luck: Fred A
I've had some hints. They were private. I will fix a few items. Some of them I need to find the parts yet.
Old 08-02-2022, 10:11 AM   #31
Fred A

I didn't just know the difference. At the time I was doing the transmission, I went through my case pile looking for appropriately low 1940 serial numbers. After the war they went to a more complex numbering system. The difference was only obvious when sitting among the pile. I'm committed now as the engine/trans is in the rolling chassis. Financial limitations caused me to keep the existing 59A engine. The 59A is so nice, it'd be a crime to waste. My ultimate candidate engine is a crack free 99A.

I thought about private. My expectations on the Barn cause me to be more open, as there could be another needing to know the difference. Good Work: Fred A
Old 08-02-2022, 04:53 PM   #32
cmbrucew

Anyway, last Friday we got a break in the humidity & temps. It was about as perfect as it gets for summer here in Southern Illinois. This week we're back to 95+ and 110% humidity.

Seth
I lived in Franklin county in the 1950s and the forestry service had a billboard on hwy. 37 showing current temp and humidity. I remember 100 degrees, and 100% humidity for like two weeks in a row. Never saw 110%
Bruce
Old 08-02-2022, 04:55 PM   #33
Seth Swoboda

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmbrucew View Post

Seth
I lived in Franklin county in the 1950s and the forestry service had a billboard on hwy. 37 showing current temp and humidity. I remember 100 degrees, and 100% humidity for like two weeks in a row. Never saw 110%
Bruce
110% was my over exaggeration. You know though how humid it gets here.
Old 08-02-2022, 08:04 PM   #34
Charlie ny
BANNED

Seth,
See below
Charlie ny

Last edited by Charlie ny; 08-02-2022 at 08:11 PM.
Old 08-02-2022, 08:06 PM   #35
Charlie ny
BANNED

Seth,
I have four '40 trans cases....PM me.
Charlie ny
Old 08-03-2022, 06:19 PM   #36
larrys40

Seth,
Is that Warren’s old car from okaville? I know he drove it for many years but it needed a lot. Probably an understatement !
Looks good. Have my 48 coupe im shooting for Dearborn but have lots of A work in the mix as well so we’ll see how it goes. Let me know if you need something. I have a cache of stuff here and there but plan on driving my 40 for years to come so have to keep some of it too.
If you get in the st Charles area give me a holler.
Larry
larrys40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 08:05 PM   #37
cmbrucew

Seth
Are you getting any of that rain in your area?
Bruce
Old 08-04-2022, 08:36 AM   #38
Seth Swoboda

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrys40 View Post
Seth,
Is that Warren’s old car from okaville? I know he drove it for many years but it needed a lot. Probably an understatement !
Looks good. Have my 48 coupe im shooting for Dearborn but have lots of A work in the mix as well so we’ll see how it goes. Let me know if you need something. I have a cache of stuff here and there but plan on driving my 40 for years to come so have to keep some of it too.
If you get in the st Charles area give me a holler.
Larry
Larry,

Yes it is Warren's car. It did need a lot of work. When it's done Warren probably won't recognize it. I'll do the car good.

Seth

Last edited by Seth Swoboda; 08-04-2022 at 02:39 PM.
Old 08-04-2022, 08:38 AM   #39
Seth Swoboda

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmbrucew View Post
Seth
Are you getting any of that rain in your area?
Bruce
Bruce,

Last week I caught a total of 7.3 inches of rain in the gauge. Most of it was on Tuesday and another .9 on Thursday afternoon.

Overnight into the early morning hours I caught 2.2 inches of rain. We're plenty good for August here in my part of the Midwest. I didn't hear the storms though, I was dreaming of V8's.
Old 12-16-2022, 05:28 PM   #40
Seth Swoboda

It's been a while since I posted. Here is a quick update on the chassis. I'm putting the dash back together and I'll post some photos of that soon. I've had a few other V8 projects that I have been working on that has taken up some spare time also. I'm having fun and the body work will start soon. I'm waiting on some shock work to get completed and they will go on. It's not perfect but I think it's respectable.

If you're on Instagram you can follow this and my other V8 adventures there as well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1940.jpg (60.4 KB, 113 views)