Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-07-2010, 12:40 PM   #1
COE Dan

Default Choosing a carb: Stromberg 97 or Ford/Holley 94?

Ford barners,

I've got a '47 COE with a Stromberg 97 which I rebuilt myself with excellent results - no leaks, great performance on a stock motor. I have a '39 Deluxe with the Ford 94 that about as weepy as the legendary overpressured and warped Stromberg with a missing needle valve. Fuel is seeping out of the back past the mixture screws and out both ends of the throttle shaft. There are several other leaks I can't find the source of but the intake manifold is shellacked in dried fuel residue as evidence. I think you get the picture... The engine runs decent enough so the internals aren't in bad shape.

The engine is a stock '39 Ford but the intake manifold is a '34 Ford which was designed for the Stromberg 48.

Should I rebuild the Ford 94 or replace with a Stromberg? I like the Stromberg and I have no experience with the 94 but I'm surprised at all the leaks. I didn't think they had that reputation.

Any suggestions? Looking for a technical perspective on performance, ease of maintenance/rebuild. I plan to go either Genuine Stromberg or rebuild the 94...no knock-off carbs for me.
COE Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 12:44 PM   #2
Karl Wolf

Default Re: Choosing a carb: Stromberg 97 or Ford/Holley 94?

I would go with the 94, it's original on the 39 Ford and it's a good carb when it's set up correctly... Karl
Karl Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 01:22 PM   #3
rotorwrench

Some of the seal parts provided with kits are not correct. ken ct has the correct stuff for 94s. They are a decent carb if you get decent rebuild parts.

Kerby
rotorwrench is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 02:17 PM   #4
ken ct
BANNED

If you got leakage out the throttle shafts,means worn shaft and worn throttle base holes expensive fix.If your 34 intake has n extra hole between the 2 rear stud holes you must block of this hole in the manifold to use a 94 on it.Exhaust heat comes through that hole and burns out the power valve in the 94. Has a rubber diaphram in it. I would use the Strom. You need a couple of special tools to rebuild Stroms. [jet wrench and knowlage of how to remove emultion tubes ]for checking and cleaning. Other wise your going to do a kind of 1/2 as*ed job of it. ken ct OMO
ken ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 02:31 PM   #5
uncle max

If you decide to go with the Genuine 97, Fordbarn guy's get special prices...
uncle max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 07:28 PM   #6
Old Henry

For 50 years I've run the Stromberg 97 on my 47 Sedan, then found out it was not authentic for my car as was the Holley 94 so got one of those for authenticity. It just never ran as well as the Stromberg, even though it had a bit more power because it's bigger. So, I've but the Stromberg back in and just use the Holly for authenticity at shows. For smooth operation, I'd go with the Stromberg. For authenticity - the Holley.
Old Henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 10:20 PM   #7
COE Dan

Ken ct - you mention the the hole between the two rear stud holes...I'm having a difficult time visualizing where that's at and if I've got that plugged now. I bought the car in it's present configuration so I didn't address this issue since I didn't install the 34 manifold.

Is it the two at the rear of the manifold near the fuel pump? or is it near the studs that hold the carb on...not getting it, I fear.

I'm leaning towards the Stromberg. I've rebuilt two (a 97 and a 48). I've got the tools and both rebuilds were easy including the emulsion tube removal and cleaning.

Dan
COE Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 01:26 AM   #8
ken ct
BANNED

On the flat surface that the carb mounts to on the manifold. Inbetween the 2 rear carb stubs there is about a 3/8" hole with NO threads in it. It is a passage for hot exhaust heat to warm the carb base in cold climites.[some manifolds have it and some dont] If there is one you must use a strom.manifold to carb base gasket as it does not have a hole when you use a 94 on this manifold.There is no coresponding hole on the carb base.If you compare a 94 base gasket to a strom one you will see the diff.The bolt pattern is the same on both but notice the small extra hole in the 94 gasket inbetween the 2 rear studs.ken ct. I had same trouble with someone else running the same setup as you. Call me in the morn if its not clear as mud. 10203-260-5945 cell after 9 am.
Old 11-08-2010, 07:10 AM   #9
JWL
Member Emeritus

The Holley 94 is NOT bigger than the Stromberg 97. It is smaller. Although I am a Stromberg fan, the Holley is a more advanced design. When either carb is properly built it will give completely satisfactory service. The Holley can give slightly better torque and fuel economy due to improved fuel atomization qualities but only careful measurements can detect this. Also, a well heated intake can help reduce the Holley advantage. In the case of the stock 8RT-8BA style ignition system the only practical choice is the Holley. The Stromberg is a very simple design which most people will consider easier to rebuild but still provides great service and the most popular appearance.
JWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 08:58 AM   #10
1952henry

Quote:
Originally Posted by COE Dan View Post
Ford barners,

I've got a '47 COE with a Stromberg 97 which I rebuilt myself with excellent results - no leaks, great performance on a stock motor. I have a '39 Deluxe with the Ford 94 that about as weepy as the legendary overpressured and warped Stromberg with a missing needle valve. Fuel is seeping out of the back past the mixture screws and out both ends of the throttle shaft. There are several other leaks I can't find the source of but the intake manifold is shellacked in dried fuel residue as evidence. I think you get the picture... The engine runs decent enough so the internals aren't in bad shape.

The engine is a stock '39 Ford but the intake manifold is a '34 Ford which was designed for the Stromberg 48.

Should I rebuild the Ford 94 or replace with a Stromberg? I like the Stromberg and I have no experience with the 94 but I'm surprised at all the leaks. I didn't think they had that reputation.

Any suggestions? Looking for a technical perspective on performance, ease of maintenance/rebuild. I plan to go either Genuine Stromberg or rebuild the 94...no knock-off carbs for me.
Too much fuel pressure? Is the float set too high? Is the float a sink (hole in it)?
Old 11-08-2010, 10:22 AM   #11
Old Henry

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWL View Post
The Holley 94 is NOT bigger than the Stromberg 97. It is smaller.
I guess it depends on how one measures the size of a carburetor. I'm talking about air passage size and volume, which, I think, has a lot to do with power. If you measure both the outside and inside diameter of the top intake throats for both carbs you'll see that the 94 is larger in diameter both outside and inside. My air cleaner has never fit tight on my 97 but does on the 94. The bottom two outlet throats and throttle plates are also slightly larger diameter on the 94 than on the 97. If I had both carbs out of my car I could show the difference with a photo. At least that's how my two carbs measure up. It's not that big a deal so let's not get too riled up about it.

I just did a little surfing on this subject and the opinios were unanimous - the Holley 94 has slightly higher CFM's (cubic feet per minute, i.e. air flow) than the Stromberg 97's. Here are a couple of enlightening discussions comparing the two in many aspects:

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/97...berg-97-a.html

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/a...hp/t-4618.html

Last edited by Old Henry; 11-08-2010 at 11:13 AM.
Old Henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 03:16 PM   #12
uncle max

The 94 and the 97 are actually indicators of the venturi size, measured in inches.
94 = .938", or 94..... 97 = .969", or 97. These numbers are not the same as the cfm ratings.
The Holley 59 style is rated at 155 cfm.
The Holley 8BA style is rated at 162 cfm. (Both have the same venturi)
Original Stromberg 97's are rated at 150 cfm.
The New English 97's are rated at 160 cfm.

Last edited by uncle max; 11-08-2010 at 03:36 PM.
uncle max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 04:24 PM   #13
ken ct
BANNED

OMO,but these carbs are so close you will never notice it in the seat of your pants. Its a personal choice only.Seeing youall ready have a 97 to put on do it. ken ct.
Old 02-06-2023, 11:56 AM   #14
rustedorrotting

Imho, the 94's have a vacuum operated power valve which will rupture if you back fire the engine. The 97's have a manually operated power valve, so no diaphragm to rupture. Also, I have been told the 94's are harder to tune in multiple carb set ups.
rustedorrotting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2023, 12:09 PM   #15
JayChicago

Oh-oh. Another case of someone adding a post to a twelve year old conversation.
JayChicago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2023, 10:09 PM   #16
Ol' Ron

My 2 cents. Both work very well when properly tuned. Sometimes ignition problems can act like carb problems. And then there's "Luck". I can never get Stromburgs to run as well as 94, Hi stupid factor, I guess?? so I us 2gc's
Gramps
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2023, 04:42 PM   #17
mfirth

Send your 94 to Charlie in New York [email protected] is his email address. Did 1 for me & it works GR8.
mfirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2023, 05:08 PM   #18
maverick_is_dangerous

i had good luck with the 94
maverick_is_dangerous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2023, 08:22 PM   #19
drgoetz

My personal pinion: I use 94's because they are cheap to own and rebuild. My Merc. has 3 deuces and progressive linkage and my PU has 2 with progressive linkage. No problems. I learn and experiment everyday and listen more than I talk.
drgoetz is offline   Reply With Quote