Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-16-2018, 03:08 PM   #1
GMCDave

Default '51 Custom Coupe-Alzheimer's need help identifying, & listing/selling for his care

Hey all-

I'm helping to sell a '51 V8 Custom Coupe + parts-a never completed restoration for an Alzheimer's Ford guy. The family had a big downsizing sale to turn unneeded possessions and his car collectibles like this into funds. I'll try to post the pictures if not then it was on Estatesales.net: https://www.estatesales.net/TN/Sprin.../37174/2072055
pictures 19-25

The sale is over, the car is what's left. Offers are low--the estate sale people aren't vintage car folks so I'm trying to help the family and fellow vintage car restorers that want to buy direct. I get zero commission/consideration.

I'll be doing a quick inspection and picture taking VERY soon (maybe today) when I pickup my larger purchases. It's an hr outside of town in my old stomping grounds. The garage and all is clean and dry—I understand he moved this from California so I think as far as rust it's at least a decent find if not great for this vintage. The body is pretty good and a bunch of car parts in boxes waiting to be explored...maybe on Xmas day! Okay I like the idea of someone having fun on Xmas so shoot me as I could use a good car fix!

What especially important things need pictures. Please give me a bulletized list and estimated time so I can avoid a wild goose chase for something I can't find. Pictures/diagrams would be awesome. I'll try to help as I can: example-cleaning off something to remove a plate to get to the firewall stamping behind that has the codes for if its a GTO or other stuff I'll try to do. I will only travel with needed tools and things I grab to ride with the sale people so please give me the tools and cleaners/sprays/chemicals that I'll most likely need if that's an issue. So where are the key and relevant # (and how many so I don't miss the most important one due to grim) and other stuff to get a shot of or info about?

I'll take a couple of jacks and stands & impact driver if you really think that's needed. I'll hook up a 12V battery IF people can be specific on how to be safe.

Our focus is on the important stuff that will help sell it quickly and at a fair price for the owner who doesn't remember the car unfortunately. There is a grill in place that needs new chrome. I've been burriedin an endless old house restoration/addition so can't begin to take on this project but remember the fun of getting a find like this. I've got to stop typing and watching the Titans and Giants and get back to life so please help and point me to where to have this listed.

So anyone want to take a stab at what a fair price range or at least what you'd pay if it was nearby and you were able? There just isn't good refernces for pricing is there?

Thanks & Happy Holidays--GMCDave

Last edited by GMCDave; 12-16-2018 at 03:46 PM. Reason: correct errors
GMCDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 03:14 PM   #2
petehoovie

Default Re: '58 Custom Coupe-Alzheimer's need help identifying, & listing/selling for his car

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0

Last edited by petehoovie; 12-16-2018 at 03:19 PM.
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 03:41 PM   #3
FritzJr

Default Re: '58 Custom Coupe-Alzheimer's need help identifying, & listing/selling for his car

@GMCDave You should also list this over on the HAMB. This car could easily be the start of a nice custom or hot rod. There may be more interest on the HAMB. Everyone will want to know more about the engine and drivetrain. Is the engine stuck? Is the radiator full and have anti-freeze? (or for that matter, is it even a flathead?)
FritzJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 03:42 PM   #4
FritzJr

Also, you need to change the title of this thread to show that it is a '51
FritzJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 03:44 PM   #5
GMCDave

So why are the pictures I attached showing up/moved to the response of petehoovie? Those are the ones that I tried to list...
Old 12-16-2018, 03:48 PM   #6
GMCDave

Quote:
Originally Posted by FritzJr View Post
Also, you need to change the title of this thread to show that it is a '51
Title changed, thanks will cross post
Old 12-16-2018, 04:34 PM   #7
petehoovie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMCDave View Post
So why are the pictures I attached showing up/moved to the response of petehoovie? Those are the ones that I tried to list...

petehoovie copied the pictures from the link you posted and pasted them here....

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 05:26 PM   #8
Mart

Default Re: '51 Custom Coupe-Alzheimer's need help identifying, & listing/selling for his car

Dave, hello.

What people want to know would be:
Is it still the stock motor?
Has it been rebuilt? How recently?
When was it last run?
Assuming stock, (3 speed trans) does it have overdrive?
Does it have paperwork? (title etc).

Does it drive?
Do the brakes work?

Are the pieces that can't be seen there?

How long has the present owner had it?

There must be other questions, that is just what I could think of off the top of my head.

Good luck with the sale, I hope you can get a reasonable price for it.

Mart.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 07:38 PM   #9
leon bee

Default Re: '51 Custom Coupe-Alzheimer's need help identifying, & listing/selling for his car

That looks like a nice car. Everybody is going to wonder about condition of floor pans, rocker panels, etc.
leon bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 07:52 PM   #10
Tinker

As mentioned above, floors & rockers.

2 doors is a good thing. Looks to be a coupe not a business coupe?

Also looks like from the few pictures is a solid project car. 5k maybe, maybe more/but probably less, if you want to dump it and it's unknown condition. Its pretty bare bones and needs a ton of work and parts from what I can see.

But you'll find out when listing it. Always ask more then you want, you can always go down. Never up.

Last edited by Tinker; 12-16-2018 at 07:59 PM.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 08:19 PM   #11
tubman

It's a club coupe, not a business coupe because of the custom trim. It looks to be real solid from the pictures, and had most of the original parts (except for that steering wheel). As "leon bee" says, the real question is the condition of the floors, rockers, etc. From what the O/P posted (originally from California and now in Tennessee), it's probably OK. If it is, It's worth a lot more than 5K, especially if it has the original drive train in good condition.

There has been a lot of activity on the H.A.M.B. lately about shoebox coupes; they seem to be coming on strong.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 08:40 PM   #12
Gary in La.

Appears to have a floor shift installed.
Gary in La. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 08:43 PM   #13
Tinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary in La. View Post
Appears to have a floor shift installed.
Steering looks like the 3 on the tree flipped. Maybe a early Hurst 3sp conversion too???

If it has a early cad/olds motor and lasalle trans/or etc... maybe way more But who knows, I don't!!!

In a free market it's only worth what some will pay. That can work in your favor.

Last edited by Tinker; 12-16-2018 at 09:30 PM.
Old 12-18-2018, 12:41 AM   #14
GMCDave

I has a SBChevy and Holley 4-barrel on top. I didn't get the page refreshed correctly to see all the posts. to check the floor pans.

The shifter has been moved according to someone who said they know these age cars. I'll ask for more pictures from my GF that'll be there tomorrow.

There is no title and like mentioned the problem is memory so we can't find anything but what's in the boxes. The rear tail light that's missing was on top of one box.

I've done my own body work enough, took a year full time at community college and sanded and filled then painted a full size pickup to be asked if I'd take on other's work My first take on the body was REALLY nice. I'll upload the quick pictures I took of the front and engine bay. I wasn't sure why the forum serv keeps saying my phone doesn't have the security token deed. Any Ideas?

Last edited by GMCDave; 12-18-2018 at 02:39 AM. Reason: correct errors
Old 12-18-2018, 03:11 AM   #15
GMCDave

Seems the problem was the size. If some one has a way to link to a full High Res please let me know. The sparkle of the flash on the green paint says something if you could see the high res...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2018-12-18 01.51.27.jpg (49.9 KB, 86 views)
File Type: jpg 2018-12-18 02.01.17.jpg (61.8 KB, 101 views)
File Type: jpg 2018-12-18 02.02.30.jpg (32.3 KB, 86 views)
File Type: jpg 2018-12-18 02.00.29.jpg (20.6 KB, 79 views)

Last edited by GMCDave; 12-18-2018 at 03:14 AM. Reason: fixes
Old 12-18-2018, 09:00 AM   #16
JSeery
Member Emeritus

The old chevy v8 conversion. Best bet might be the HAMB guys.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 11:37 AM   #17
36coupe

Looks like a early 283 with staggered bolt pattern valve covers. Need to decode the serial number on the front passenger side of the block above the water pump.
36coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 12:53 PM   #18
mhsprecher

It was licensed at one time, so maybe someone in the family can go to DMV and get a duplicate title. That would make life much easier for the next owner. I have no idea about CA, but maybe someone in the family has power of attorney to get the title. With the VIN and tag number, it seems reasonable that the title could be found.
mhsprecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 08:12 PM   #19
Tinker

Get it titled. Clean titles sell way better.

The early sbc ain't the end of the world. Post it up on the hamb once you got things figured out. or wherever... ebay, etc

Good luck!
Old 12-18-2018, 09:55 PM   #20
GMCDave

It's sold provided a forum member makes it down to middle TN and likes what he sees. I think he's getting a really good deal as the undercarriage video the company running the downsizing sale (and officially this car is part of it). One small hole pass side, the rest is outstanding Cali car in the dry garage for a very long time. The owner is a former Judge and Eagle scout/troup leader from Cali fallen to Alztimers So it's got to be a legit lost title.

I'll be glad to take backup-offers and post up the vid on youtube.

FYI I can't think well of HAMB--they deleted all of the postings I made clearly saying this was to help a fellow car enthusiast at NO $ to me...as an effort to get him/his wife a fair price and sell directly to another Ford Enthusiast that will see his dream through to restoration. The only offers were 'can't get hurt' offers.

After that I was willing to accept defeat because of them.

So HAMB just flushed several hours of work on my part to truthfully say HEY COMMUNITY! A MEMBER NEEDS OUR HELP and we help one of us who's not sick get a sweet car direct vs it sit around with a minimally interested guy for 25ysr rusted under a ripped tarp. There was zero explanation other then their FAQ that basically says they're grumpy bumpers that don't let anyone post that hasn't proven to be one of them.
So whoever has dual accounts PLEASE get them to add a way for friends and family to post and not get slammed. Make no mistake they took a crap on our responsiblity as Americans and Community members to help one of our own. I never got an explanation even thoiugh I clearly said why I was posting asking for help for this Former Judge, Eagle Scout/Troup leader suffer from a most difficult disease.

If he can't make it or doesn't close the deal for some reason, I'll contact the backkup offers/interested peeps so PM me and/or put on this thread. --GMCDave

Last edited by GMCDave; 12-18-2018 at 10:24 PM. Reason: erors